Author Topic: DRACHENBALLON  (Read 23363 times)

Offline Dirigible-Al

Re: DRACHENBALLON
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2021, 02:16:42 AM »
Thank you Giuseppe, Alexis and RAGIII for your kind comments.
I started work on the two wind flaps that hang from the rear sides of the Balloon. I made these mainly from paper so it can be shaped easily. Turnbuckles were made and super glued to a square piece of paper cut to size. A second piece of paper the same size as attached over the turnbuckles and will form the inside part of the flap, I used liberal amounts of PVA for this. Finally a third piece with 3mm shaved off each side  was added to the outer sides with an unholy amount of PVA. While it was floppy with the PVA I clamped the top edge that attaches to the balloon between 2 rulers so it will dry dead straight and crinkled the rest to make it look like it is in the wind. They both turned out fine and as planned the turnbuckles only made an impression on the balloon side that will not be seen. When they were both bone dry they were painted with biege enamel and then various coats of acrylic biege, yellow ochre and chestnut brown with the darker two significantly thinned with floor cleaner. I have added the buckles the same way as the rest using thin strips of foil, one's done and the other I have left to do. This is still taking a fair amount of time despite now having more of that precious commodity. Combined, the 2 flaps have 80 turnbuckles which require 80 buckles which require 240 thin strips of foil cut and glued above the turnbuckles.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2021, 10:51:50 PM »
Incredible work, Al.  Hopefully you can find the time to finish this project.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2021, 10:21:21 PM »
Wow, this looks like a labour of love. Tremendous levels of skill and patience!

Richie

Online RAGIII

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2021, 01:07:02 AM »
The wind Flaps look Great! Paper is a really nice way to simulate fabric if done as well as you did! The stitching is amazing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline s.e.charles

« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2021, 09:34:03 PM »
echoing all the long earned accolades in the previous 5 pages.

Q: what's "GWITA forum" mentioned in post #1?

my search led me to guitars!

thanks

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2021, 07:23:21 AM »

thanks
I haven't been involved but deconstructing the acronym suggests to me "Great War in the Air"? ???
Zac in NZ

Offline Beto

« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2021, 02:06:15 AM »
echoing all the long earned accolades in the previous 5 pages.

thanks

For me it was even funnier, I made a search and Goggle suggested: "Do you mean the GAITA forum?" - (Gaita= Bagpipe in Spanish)  ;D

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2021, 06:38:26 AM »
Thank you for your kind comments.

Kenshaw - Although I have not done much more since the last post I do endeavour to finish this.

Richie - Temptation to start something else is a greater challenge than patience.

RAG III - I like using paper and do so every now and then, it is alot cheaper than plastic card an has some interesting properties.

S.E Charles, KiwiZac and Beto - GWITA was a great forum on WW1 modelling and is sadly no more. It is Great War In The Air but after this post I too will try searching on Bing, Yahoo and the others out of interest to see what they come up with.

Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2021, 02:57:18 PM »
Great work with wind flaps!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2022, 07:22:34 AM »
Hello all
I am getting closer to the end now and have the bulk of the rigging on. I must apologise for the poor quality of the pictures, I am using a tablet to take pics at the moment because my camera has finally bitten the dust. I will post better pics next time.
I need some help of possible. I tried to do the German crosses by cutting out white ones from a decal sheet and then cutting slightly smaller ones and making them black with permanent marker pen. The idea is to then put them on top of the larger white ones. I am sure I have done this before but this time the black ink just disintegrated and paint flaked off. I tried removing the carrier film and not surprisingly it refused to leave the backing paper. Unless any of you have any better ideas I will just paint the black crosses on the white backgrounds as they are already on but that will not look as good as decals.
Some of the lower parts of the rigging are attached by ringlets. For these I used my old pall copper wire. By tightly winding it around a thicker wire I pulled of what resembled a spring and cut with an exacto blade down vertically to get my rings. At the very bottom where the ropes meet the main wire cable there is quite a large pulley. I originally made this with some PE spares that were the sights to a Spandau with copper wire running thru the center and a spacer between them. I was delighted with the result but during painting it became another victim of the carpet monster and I have no more spare PE. I built another one by heat stretching a disposable pen refill, pushing it on copper wire and rolling an exacto blade over it. This have me two thin plastic discs that I glued to a piece of the copper wire I cut off at about 1.2mm. With all the rigging from the main wire cable to the envelope now on i made it taught by tieing a few weighs on the bottom ( a Swiss Army knife attached to a paper clamp attached to a large crocodile clip attached to the cotton rigging ). I have now soaked that with super glue. On the right it looks a bit messy, this is because I have not cut off the loose strands from the knots yet. I will not do this until the super glue had cured and the weights are removed. I have found they come off easier and cleaner when they are brittle with super glue.
Alan.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2022, 05:40:18 PM »
Here we go, a couple of better pics.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2022, 02:11:16 AM »
That is an amazing piece of scratch building - and a unique subject. It really is taking shape now.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2022, 04:06:26 AM »
Simply remarkable, the envelope looks like the suitably-inflated real deal. And the spiderweb of rigging...incredible!
Zac in NZ

Online RAGIII

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2022, 05:39:28 AM »
That is an amazing piece of scratch building - and a unique subject. It really is taking shape now.

Stephen.

Simply remarkable, the envelope looks like the suitably-inflated real deal. And the spiderweb of rigging...incredible!

I think Stephen and Zac have said it all! Amazing work all around!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2022, 03:42:26 AM »
Belongs in a museum.
Superb!

:o :o

Bob