Author Topic: DRACHENBALLON  (Read 23417 times)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: DRACHENBALLON
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2022, 06:10:04 PM »
All that looks remarkable...
I regret now that I look so rarely to this section of our forum.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2022, 06:10:55 AM »
Thank you PrzemoL, Bob, Stephen, Zac and RAGIII for your kind comments. I solved the decal/cross problem, the cross underneath is hand painted and you can tell so I had to do the side ones with decals but I failed to print or mark the crosses on decal sheet. I even bought new permanent marker pens but they were not as permanent as their name suggests. I got around it by making a stencil and drawing the cross inside the hole. The cut out piece was used as a guide to cut thin strips of white decal to go around the black cross. Thin white decal does not come out as white, it is darker because the surface underneath shows thru. I have often in the past painted over the white bits but I feel on this one it appears too white and I am contemplating darkening it, does anyone agree?
The wind flaps are now on, one small mistake was to use cotton to tie them to the envelope because the surplus bits can be seen behind it and they will be tricky to take off, invisible thread or monofilament would have been better.
The only big job left is to make the display stand, once that is done and the balloon is on I can finish the rigging and do alot of tidying up around it.
Thanks for looking in, Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2022, 12:36:49 AM »
I write with great relleaf a critical part has been done. I made the final display stand, took the Drachen off the build stand and all the rigging stayed in place. The cotton soaked in super glue method worked. The basket was my biggest concern as the thread there is half the width but that stayed in place with no sags and sits square unsupported.
    The display stand was made from an old rusty flag pole holder. I cut about a third of it off because is is made of solid steel and is very heavy, what is left is more than enough. Where the flag pole slots in I used a 22mm copper pipe which luckily fits perfectly. At the top of the copper pipe I drilled thru both sides a 6mm hole. To hold the Drachen I used a piece of 6mm hollow aluminium tube and inserted in it 3mm steel wire. I bent the end of this by beating it round a steel curtain rail to form a semi circle. By inserting it into the copper pipe I can set the angle simply by knocking it further in. I was going to fill the top with epoxy resin but it is so firm there is no need. About 30cm of steel wire pertrudes out of the aluminium pipe, the very same aluminium pipe runs thru the length of the Drachen so that slotted into it and holds it in place nicely. I will tidy up the top part of the copper pipe at some stage.
    Now it is on its final stand I will do the bottom part of the rigging and add a bit more detail to the basket. The whole thing will need a good clean up as it has had quite a few unfortunate knocks.
Thanks for looking in Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #93 on: February 08, 2022, 02:55:26 AM »
Looking at all of that rigging I think that I will stay with 3 bay biplanes and pushers! The model looks brilliant from where I am sitting - and so different. It is also larger than I had thought which makes it even more eye catching.

With reference to the crosses - they look fine to me but perhaps the camera does not reveal the true colours. Personally I would leave them well alone.

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2022, 04:02:44 AM »
Al, that looks incredible! I like how you mounted the stand, but really the rigging is so impressive and I'm so relieved for you that it all held together as planned. Bravo!

Looking at all of that rigging I think that I will stay with 3 bay biplanes and pushers!
;D ;D
Zac in NZ

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2022, 05:48:59 AM »
Hello Stephen
It is big, 1/144 would be more sensible but I did not do that scale because I wanted to get as close as I can to the actual number of ropes and attachments on the real thing and did not want to attempt this on a smaller scale. I also had a back up plan, if it all went horribly wrong I could make a diorama out of it all, something easily done with all the kits and figures available in 1/72. I appreciate the input on the crosses. I did not however explain properly the reason why they looked too white. The thin  bands that run vertically between the fat green segments were white and they did look ridiculous so I weathered them and they now look fine. Next to them the crosses looked too white but since the last post I came to the conclusion that canvas or bleached linen, which they probably are, is not going to be as white as white paint applied around a cross by a bloke with a brush so I will leave them as they are.
Hello KiwiZac
I am very relieved too! For a while now I have been cursing this and not considering any other balloon projects but now having seen this technique work I will tackle another balloon or two and maybe add them to the stand like a tree.
Alan.
One last thing, a 3 bay biplane in 1/72 is no easier to rig. On this I do not have struts, wings and God knows what else to rig between.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2022, 10:52:05 PM »
Very nice work, Al.  And a quite unusual subject, too.  Looking forward to seeing the completed piece.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2022, 08:36:11 AM »
Thanks Kensar for your nice comment. I now have all the actual parts for this completed so just a bit more rigging to do and a big tidy up before it is finished.
    Drain valve on the front was made by glueing an piece of 25mm plastic card to the bottom of an 8mm drill bit with double sided tape then trimming and filing round it. I then did the same with a 4.5mm bit and made 2 discs from a 3mm. A very thin strip of .25mm card was cut and wrapped around a 6.5mm drill bit, clamped and then dunked in boiling water. By cutting along the length I got a load of plastic rings. I picked the best one and glued it to the larger disc. Inside this went the 4.5mm disc, the two 3mm discs were glued together along with a dollop of filler on the top then filed into a cone shape, this then went in the middle. Next I cut four very short lengths of thin zinc coated copper wire and stuck them between the ring and the 4.5mm disc. Next I made four small 'V' shapes from the wire and stuck them in so it made a circle of 'I', 'V', 'I', 'V' ect. Eight longer pieces of wire were cut which joined the bits already there and all met in the centre forming an eight pointed star. The drain valve is very prominent so this is something I wanted to look right.
    Despite making two men I put just one in. I know when this is displayed people will think he is holding a massive cannon or weapon of some sorts but I wanted a guy in the basket doing something and could not think of anything more appropriate than taking one of the millions of photographs that were taken from these things.
    Thanks for looking in, Alan.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 11:21:40 PM by Dirigible-Al »

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2022, 08:37:06 AM »
Missed one

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2022, 09:40:14 PM »
Excellent detail work, Al.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2022, 07:47:14 AM »
Fascinating!
Zac in NZ

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2022, 10:49:11 PM »
Superb!

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2022, 04:47:21 AM »
This is a truly brilliant build. A real work of patience and perseverance.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2022, 05:56:57 AM »
Basket, observer, and camera all look fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline WD

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2022, 06:20:28 AM »
Wow! I remember when this got started, was following along, but went away. When I came back recently, I couldn't find it, but now I did!  What wonderful work!  I'm going to save this thread.

WD