Author Topic: DRACHENBALLON  (Read 23288 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: DRACHENBALLON
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
Going to be your best yet !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2015, 04:26:02 AM »
Thank you Warren and LM for your kind comments. Hello Terri, I am hoping it will be the best one yet though I have a spherical, a Caquot an AP type and a Japanese sail balloon planned and me thinks the Sail balloon might be the pick of the bunch. Thanks Malaula for the Lascaux Clear matt advise, I would have put a thin coat of white glue over it which would also do the same trick but I am not so keen on that idea and the Lascaux Clear matt seems a better plan. What a fantastic Caquot you have there, you have captured the effect of the different shades of fabric squares brilliantly. Metal etch for the attatchment points is a good idea and probably the best way to do it but I have no idea how to etch metal foil myself. I have tried burrying turnbuckles between two strips of masking tape but got nowhere with this one. Next plan is to take some of the turbuckles I already have and simply whack them with a hammer and trim them to shape, this will give them a nice thin apperance. The 'thin' turnbuckles will then be glued onto the masking tape strip and hopefully made to look like the three armed clamps on the real thing.
Cheers, Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline malaula

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2015, 02:38:11 AM »
Hi Alan,thanks for the compliment!I had treated my balloon the same way like you did with the Revell-stuff,it's important to dilute it not more than 10%,and to apply it in thin layers.Nevertheless it turned out quite glossy in the end...until my Friend and fellow forum member Jorgo supplied me with the Lascaux stuff and an airbrush.
I tried rigging with EZ-line, but I think it's much too thin.On the real thing those were ropes ,larger in diameter than aircraft rigging.After trying all sorts of wire,monofilament and several elastics I got hold of rigging rope intended for classic ships .This is real rope,the guy who makes it has a miniature rope-walk and offers rope in 0.10,0.25mm and larger diameters,in grey,black or brown. It's glueable with CA and fun to work with. I used 0.10 and 0.25 mm on my build.
I'm really lookin forward to your attachment-solution,if it only looks half as good as your valve you can make 200 more for my parseval ;)!
Cheers  Mathias

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 06:43:29 AM »
The colours you have added to the balloon really give it life, it looks brilliant, a wonderful show of your modeling skills.

Des.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:06:46 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:57 AM »
You are creating a blinder, Alan. Beautiful work!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 05:54:45 PM »
Somehow I just managed to find this build and couldn't help it just to find it brilliant :)

Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2016, 06:27:52 PM »
Hi All
I have got this one un-stalled. The hang up was how to do the basket. I actually made three of the dam things with each one being better and more appropriate than the last and that does not count the failed effort of weaving one out of coaxle wire. If I had to carry on making them the tenth one would take a quarter of the time and be four times better than the first. The biggest hang up was finding the right material for the weave effect. I had up until now used an umbrella that worked very well but this has since disappeared, possibly because the missis went to use it and saw lots of seat shaped holes cut into it and chucked it. Finding something as good was a chore, I went down to a haberdashery shop and bought loads of different remnants only to find none of them worked. The problem was the watered down paint soaked evenly into the material thus not showing the weave effect. I then by chance was given a rally coat at work as a gift and told it cost £150 (so I hope they do not read this) I was the right colour and made of nylon so this should surly work – it didn’t.  I then thought I would try putting a waterproof agent on it and voila! It worked perfectly. Heavily watered down acrylic brown just sank and rested in the crevices drying to good effect.  So with that part sorted here’s how I did the whole thing:
The box centre is just .25mm plastic card glued into an open cube with a few extra layers on the bottom. The ribs or fat bits or whatever you want to call them are a mix of x2 thin copper fuse wires twisted together in a drill and x4 thin wires done the same. These are then glued around the box in all the appropriate places. Once all the copper is on I painted the whole thing in light beige. Inside the basket I put eight super long turn buckles, this is not present in any basket I have seen and is one of those compromises between what is real and what works when construction something, the rigging will be attached to these. Once a large section of the coat material had been painted I put tracing paper on the basket and marked out the pattern, transferred it to the coat and cut out all the little pieces. These were white glued in place around the basket. I noticed on pictures the interior appears to be lined with a darker material; I assume this is untreated linen. I copied this by cutting some tracing paper to shape and white gluing it inside. The nice thing about doing it this way is the tracing paper crinkles into something that naturally looks like a sheet of linen. This I then painted brown along with the see thru bits around the basket. I painted some fishing line dark beige and cut dozens of short lengths off and white glued them into the see thru bits as they are in the real thing. I have noticed a few ropey bits having seen the photos that I will clean up and having now built it I found out the arrangement underneath the basket is wrong, the twisty bits should go corner to corner but I am not going to start another one just for that.
Time to do the passengers, I may do just one to save time but they are 1/72 Airfix WWI German infantry figures to which I will do some minor surgery.
Thanks for looking in, Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »
Awesome basket AL! Your 150lb coat was sacrificed to great effect  :-X Glad to see you back at this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2016, 10:03:03 PM »
Just catching up on your build.  Love what you have done thus far.  Looking forward to your progress.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:10:57 AM by Juan »

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2016, 04:35:08 AM »
Seems like a lot of work and effort but it has surely been worth it. This is a truly unusual subject but it is one of the more interesting ones for that. Excellent basket - waiting to see the completed model now.

Stephen.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2016, 04:58:58 AM »
The basket is amazing! Well done Alan.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2016, 07:42:12 AM »
That basket is spectacular, Al!  That rally coat will provide you with enough material to make many more basket in the future.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »
Thanks RAGIII, Juan, Stephen and Bo for your nice comments.
You are right Bud, I will never need to go looking for more basket material no matter how many of them I make - unless the missis finds it and chucks it away! Just for the record if anyone thinks I am nuts cutting up an expensive rally coat I would never have worn it anyway besides it cost nothing to either myself or the person who gave it to me, it is just one of those expensive bits of merchandise no one buys. If anyone wants a square of it to do 1/72 wicker let me know.
Cheers, Alan.

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
Blimey. What a fascinating topic. I have to say balloons as such don't do much for me but what you've achieved is spectacular.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2016, 06:38:13 PM »
very good soloution. The basket looks great.
Bye,manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau