Author Topic: 1/72 Scratch built RAF F.E.2b  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Bolman

Re: 1/72 Scratch built RAF F.E.2b
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 10:23:33 AM »
Thank you for your kind words, Jay.
Although I did start this project with the Formaplane kit, I didn't use any of the parts from the kit. Just the drawing. I still have the kit and may actually use it some day :)

I would be very interested in your work if you were to give it a go!

John

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »
Absolutely stunning work John.  I can't get over what can be done
in the teeny scale by a talented modeller.  Well done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline FOKKERJ

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 08:26:53 AM »
Thank you for your kind words, Jay.
Although I did start this project with the Formaplane kit, I didn't use any of the parts from the kit. Just the drawing. I still have the kit and may actually use it some day :)

I would be very interested in your work if you were to give it a go!

John

You are very welcome John. You earned it!  8)
Thank goodness that many of the Vac Kits have good 3-View Drawings, as that is often the only real value there.
Of course the better quality Kits often have decals, White Metal Parts, etc..

Some of the Vac Kits I have are no more than a series of blobs on a sheet of plastic, others are very well made.
I look at many of these kits as a Blank Canvas. Some are more of a challenge than others. I've picked up several when they have presented themselves.

Now a real challenge and some kits severely more frustrating than others are the "Slush Mold" produced kits by MERLIN.
I had hours of fun thinning down the wedge shaped wing on a Nieuport 11. IIRC, the wing was 3/16" thick at one end and tapered to 1/8" at the other end. I cut new ribs and they moved on occasion until I had them where I wanted them. I think the top wing finished out at 0.050" thick or less, about 3/64ths. The top was fun, but the bottom surface required making up a jig to hand drum sand it.
The tail plane went fairly smoothly, but I about lost it when I was "Fixing" the fuselage and got down to the finish to have the plastic start to peel and disintegrate on me!   >:(  :(  :-\ I should have just scratched a new fuselage!

The nice thing about extra thick wings in a kit, on German machines, is that you can add the "Wash-Out" to the ailerons when they are absent and necessary for that build.

Off the top of my head, the KOSTER, SIERRA, and many others make respectable Vac Kits.

Cheers, Jay

P.S. I haven't played with plastic in quite awhile for reasons untold, but I do feel the urge building up!  8)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:32:24 AM by FOKKERJ »
Studies have shown that people who have more birthdays live longer. :)

Offline Bolman

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 09:03:34 AM »

Now a real challenge and some kits severely more frustrating than others are the "Slush Mold" produced kits by MERLIN.

Jay,

I have done a few Merlin Models kits for others (Pfalz Dr.I, Fokker D.VI, Fokker D.VIII) and still have a few yet to do, so I know what you mean.

Lately, I've been favoring the art of scratch building over kit building since some kits ARE actually more of a challenge than making it from scratch. For example, the aileron in the the following picture was a challenge, but not all that difficult. This shot is of one of my in progress scratch build projects; The AGO C.I

What was difficult, was making the mirror image of it for the other wing!

I plan to post the build log for the AGO soon, as I am nearing the end of a project and wish to get back on it.

Thanks again!

John

Offline Bolman

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Absolutely stunning work John.  I can't get over what can be done
in the teeny scale by a talented modeller.  Well done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)

Thanks Ernie, I hope I can continue to amaze ;)

John

Offline FOKKERJ

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 02:16:26 AM »

Jay,

I have done a few Merlin Models kits for others (Pfalz Dr.I, Fokker D.VI, Fokker D.VIII) and still have a few yet to do, so I know what you mean.

Lately, I've been favoring the art of scratch building over kit building since some kits ARE actually more of a challenge than making it from scratch. For example, the aileron in the the following picture was a challenge, but not all that difficult. This shot is of one of my in progress scratch build projects; The AGO C.I

What was difficult, was making the mirror image of it for the other wing!

I plan to post the build log for the AGO soon, as I am nearing the end of a project and wish to get back on it.

Thanks again!

John

Exactly!  8)

People might wonder why I would spend several hours carving and whittling down on a MERLIN Nieuport 11 wing when there are much nicer Nieuport 11 kits available. I not only enjoyed this, but it gave me experience that should lead me to Scratch Building someday.

I have most of the MERLIN WWI Kits in my stash and some are pretty respectable looking as a 1/72" kit goes and quite buildable. Then there's the few that have sent some over the edge!    :-[  Friedrichschafen(?), among others.   :(

When I was building two or three Pfalz D.III/IIIa's in tandem Out of the Box, I wasn't satisfied with the tail skid in one or two of the kits (I like to build a few kits at the same time, because of all of the research that is involved is fresh. I also like to build a few from different Makers at the same time for comparisons. ). For me it was easier to make two tail skids than one because of my process. By the time I was done, I liked mine better than the "Nice" ones supplied.  :)

Your AGO wing work looks fantastic! Familiar too!
Sometimes I would think that my wing ribs look too pronounced and then I would realize that I did not need to strive for perfection and I wanted it to show what I had done. I learned this on a used kit that I purchased that the previous owner had got "Knife Happy" when cleaning up the sprues and flash on the aileron of a DFW, Halberstadt, or some desirable 1/72" German CL. model that was rare to me. I spliced in some plastic after I had brought it close to size when I realized that if I fixed it to perfection that I would not even know which tip it had been. So I left it slightly larger than the stock one. My explanation is that the Mechanics grabbed a spare off of a Winged Wreck as they were in a hurry!  ;)
So if my exhaust pipes come out a little flaired at the tips and or a little Hot Rod looking, I'll know who made them!

I look forward to seeing your AGO Build Thread.  8)

Cheers, Jay
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:24:37 AM by FOKKERJ »
Studies have shown that people who have more birthdays live longer. :)