Author Topic: WnW S.E.5a  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Jim

Re: WnW S.E.5a
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 11:31:38 PM »
I just use simple black thread, nothing fancy though I am debating getting the RFC rigging thread available at WnW.

Hi N.C.S.E.

You can buy the same elasticised thread that WnW sells as 'RAF flat rigging thread' for around half the price at any good knitting/sewing shop. Spotlight sells it for around $8 in Australia.  Just ask for sullivans knitting-in elastic thread. Hope this tip saves you a bit of cash to spend on your next WnW model.

Cheers

Jim
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:50:42 PM by Jim »
Woof!

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 07:15:59 AM »
FE2b has arrived, to do a build log, or not to do a build log...?

Yes, do a build log, it will help you to get good advice on each bit you do and end up with a great model.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 10:33:52 AM »
The great thing about this forum is that there are so many modelers here who are all willing to help fellow modelers with advice and techniques. Asking questions is the best way to learn and you benefit greatly from suggestions put forward by other members. You have taken a giant leap into WW1 aircraft modeling by building the WnW kits, even though they are a user friendly kit they still require quite a bit of deft modeling skills and with what you have shown so far you are well on the way to becoming a very capable modeler.
I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle the Fe.2b, but please remember, if there are any aspects of the build that you are a little unsure of just ask and I'm sure you will get plenty of help. Good luck with your build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
About all I can add N.C.S.E. is keep after it, you're doing grand and by all means do a log for it will be a help to you.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 12:22:30 AM »
About all I can add N.C.S.E. is keep after it, you're doing grand and by all means do a log for it will be a help to you.

Paddy

Paddy's advice is right on the mark. A Build Log will encourage lots of feedback and advice and also provide you with some pride in your results through sharing with the rest of us. "Go for the gold"! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:24 AM »
FE2b has arrived, to do a build log, or not to do a build log...?

Please do.  The joy of these kits is individual sub assemblies can be built and finished prior to model assembly.  This modular approach means that any corrections, repaints etc can be done without adversely affecting the whole kit - I know that from experience!  Also you can share individual techniques, nothing to do with me having this kit too and any other build references I can see..  ;) ;)

I agree completely with Ian! Who knows had I had this kind of format when I was your age I might have become another Des ;D Do the blog and learn as you enjoy your hobby!
RAGIII
PS: Just for giggles I am posting a build of a 1/72nd Revelle SE5a built when I was about 17. You are way beyond this stage  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:20:01 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler