Author Topic: WnW S.E.5a  (Read 4829 times)

Offline N.C.S.E

WnW S.E.5a
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »
This was about finished when I put the brisfit up so sadly I was unable to take everyone's suggestions on board but here it is. The rigging is better since I've starts using copper for my eyelets and supergluing them into the convenient holes in the wings.

Thanks
N

The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Re: WnW S.E.5a
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
Nice build, what are you using for the rigging?

Cheers

Pete.

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »
I just use simple black thread, nothing fancy though I am debating getting the RFC rigging thread available at WnW.
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »
Nice one, young man -

Each one you do will get better as you go.   I assume you brush paint?  (nothing wrong with that - all my models are brush painted) To help avoid brush strokes showing, always make sure you thin the paint down nicely.  You can then build up coats in layers - allow to dry before applying next coat.  Also,  I always use a neutral base coat prior to painting with top coat - it seems to help give the top coat something to 'bite' into.

Hope that is helpful.

Best regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:16:39 AM »
 Ah another great project from a young Master in the making. My early work never came close to what you're doing here. Keep up the great works my young friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 02:11:46 AM »
Ah another great project from a young Master in the making. My early work never came close to what you're doing here. Keep up the great works my young friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
My thoughts exactly.  At 15, I didn't have the patience to even attempt rigging.  I was lucky to get all the parts properly painted.  I look forward to your next project.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline michael

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 02:13:48 AM »
good looking model you have there, what kit have you got lined up next?

cheers
michael
“An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.”

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:54:06 AM »
You certainly like a challenge with these bipes. Well done and keep going!!!

Steve

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 10:17:12 AM »
good looking model you have there, what kit have you got lined up next?

cheers
michael

I'm unsure yet, definitely WnW and definitely an RFC aircraft, I've got enough German aircraft for now though I won't display the one before that because the Albatros I did was really very poor and I was experimenting with using an all copper wire rigging system, it failed, horribly.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 12:31:28 AM »
N.C.S.E.
    Great work, you've got many, many years of enjoyment of this Hobby trapped in your twelve o'clock position which is a heck of a lot better then most of us here! At your age I was still laboring away at any subject with wings although I had started to spend a little more effort on WWI subjects, and never considered rigging as possible let alone trying it.
     The WNW rigging stuff is good; try some cheap monofilament fishing line as well, 4 pound test or better still 2 pound.
And keep posting your builds, I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »
Fe2b and WnW rigging wire has been ordered, I can't wait.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
I tip my hat to you! I was 54 years of age before I worked up the nerve to tackle a rigged biplane so you're way out ahead on the learning curve. At your age, I was already mired in the mud with AFV modelling. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It just took me a long time to start building aircraft. Just think how good you'll be when you reach my age. Okay, add another year on that 54, which gives you even more time to perfect your skills.  ;D  I think you're smart to stay with WnW kits too, as you'll build confidence with them. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline xmald

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 10:26:24 PM »
Great S.E.5a :) You have the guts man ;) Congratulations I`ll echo what`s already been said about your work... Keep it up. Next time maybe try to use fishing thread and CA. After putting it on place you just make it tight using a hot needle which you place close to the thread.
Best regards
Filip

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 05:05:09 PM »
FE2b has arrived, to do a build log, or not to do a build log...?

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
FE2b has arrived, to do a build log, or not to do a build log...?

Please do.  The joy of these kits is individual sub assemblies can be built and finished prior to model assembly.  This modular approach means that any corrections, repaints etc can be done without adversely affecting the whole kit - I know that from experience!  Also you can share individual techniques, nothing to do with me having this kit too and any other build references I can see..  ;) ;)