Author Topic: Have you ever done something realllly dumb?  (Read 5517 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Have you ever done something realllly dumb?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2014, 04:11:52 AM »
Sorry gents but I have been away and only just picked up on this. Where to start……… If it is age related then I am certain to do more every day than I do already, and there are hardly enough hours in the day for me to keep up as it is. I do seem to manage the glue-finger problem, but I do not think that I have a single model which has not got more than one error in it. I sometimes wonder if I will ever be able to read a set of plans properly, or cut plastic to the correct size, not file off too much, get the joints and wings/tail units completely square and in line…. the list is positively endless.

And Yes ! Even as I type this I have managed to burn my tea!!!! Beat that!

Offline Tixenfleaz

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 04:26:43 AM »
My primary accomplishment in life is the fact that I've never choked to death on anything. Competence isn't a personal strongpoint.

That being said, mistaking my can of Testors Flat Black for Dullcote twice in one day was a bit of a low.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 05:10:55 AM »
Yep, got married........

Ha! I've done that twice and now find that I'm single again.

I did something really dumb the other night.  I was about to drop some paint into my airbrush cup and decided I'd better do a spot cleaning on it. So, I cleaned out the brush and the cup... then picked up the cup and started to pour paint into it before reattaching it to the airbrush. Luckily I caught the problem before ending up ankle deep in Olive Drab.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Dekenba

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 05:42:57 AM »
Realised my stash was way, way too big, so decided to thin it down.

I did this by selling most of my WNW kits. Doh!

I'm now selling my WWII stuff to re-purchase the WNW kits that I sold previously.

I find the WWI modelling community far more relaxing, laid back and non judgmental. Build a WWII model and you'll find yourself knee deep in people telling you the colour is not right, or the wheel wells are wrong, or the undercarriage is way out, or the shape is all over the place, or the fuel fillers are in the wrong place, or the cockpit is the wrong mark, etc, etc. It's mildly depressing and that's one of the reasons I'm moving to WWI 1/32 kits exclusively.

I say exclusively, but I also include some Silver Wings inter-war kits in my stash. Not quite WNW quality, but for resin kits they are outstandingly good, if a tad expensive.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 07:26:57 AM »
Have I ever done something really dumb? Why yes, yes I have....

-Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 07:36:22 AM »
Holy cow, that is some serious damage there, do you think you will be able to salvage it, BTW, what happened????

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline petrov27

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
NO! Let me guess - trying to close the fuselage? On the 'plus' side, if there is one, the breaks look recoverable. Will you try to salvage it?

Nope - fuse was closed, though I had not used a ton of glue.... Had the DVII components high on a shelf where my airbrush booth is (it is much too high but only place for it) and managed to knock them onto concrete. The top wing not shown actually took the worst of the damage as when it fell I turned around quick and ended up stomping on it....

I salvaged the interior parts, took a new fuselage and wing from another kit and made this: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2690.0

I still have the slightly damaged fuselage halves and the more seriously damaged wing - I am salvaging those parts as well to build another DVII
-Patrick

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »

I think I might have cried a little after that. 
Robert

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 12:01:54 AM »

Man, what a sick feeling that must have given you. In the end though, you persevered and that's what it's all about.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 01:46:58 AM »
Hello All.

My turn now. I'm busy clearing the decks before getting going with my group build D.VII. This means finishing off some things that're half completed. One requires black and white striped horizontal tail surfaces. So, here's how the errors compounded.

1. Sprayed the tail surfaces gloss white using a Tamiya aerosol. Rationale? I was planning to get a nice smooth surface to accept the single piece upper surface black stripe decal and the two equivalent lower surface  decals. Outcome? I seriously underestimated just how clumsy I'd be with a gloss spray - the coat seemed so thick - and the paint's apparent ability to attract a huge number of bits from the atmosphere, despite my attempts to shelter it.

2. Phase two. I carefully removed the offending debris with a very sharp blade. So, it was decal time, and I would use those with the kit. Rationale?  Saving time (laziness?) and I'd used many of this company's decals before. Outcome? Despite my patience and care the edges of the decals simply wanted to flick under themselves and did so quite successfully, breaking in one of two places

3. I managed to effect some repairs and decided to carry on and varnish the decals. Rationale? I wanted to protect them, most particularly, but not only, where upper and lower decals came to the edge of the tail surfaces. This would prevent their fracturing at the edges. Having decided not to spray the varnish, I used one of my best and newest flat brushes and a fresh tin of carefully stirred Humbrol varnish. Outcome? A superb collection of once airborne debris embedded in a coat of varnish so thick that moulded/engraved surface detail seemed to vanish.

Having said things like, "Gosh" and "Oh dear", I spent an hour this morning stripping everything back to the bare plastic. I've just  sprayed a nice thin coat of my favourite matt white and tonight I'll prepare the masking for the stripes. Hopefully soon I'll have something visual to post.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 06:43:36 AM »
What is that saying about all the best laid plans, Nigel?!

Good luck on the recovery work, mate.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline petrov27

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 07:36:47 AM »

I think I might have cried a little after that.

I went more to "rage" vs. grief - almost took a hammer to the remains and finished the job :)

That build was horribly jinxed all the way through. I had it 99% complete and the entire port lower wing broke off for no apparent reason - just came off in my hands as I was rotating the model to complete the minimal rigging....
-Patrick

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 08:08:40 AM »
Nigel and Petrov, I feel your pain!  This is almost enough to make me take up stamp
collecting...if it wasn't for that blasted "bug" that is seemingly impossible to dislodge.
Oh well, happily on to the next crisis ;) ;D.  I love this hobby!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 03:13:05 PM »
petrov why no make a diorama of a crashed d.vii fokker using the parts from this accident.

like this: http://wwimodeller.co.nz/tag/wwi-aircraft-diorama/

Offline Edo

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Hey that's great!!!
That's one of my builds!!! grat to see it has been liked and shared also on other sites!!!

p.s.
sorry for yor crash Petrov...

Ciao
Edo