Author Topic: Fokker DR1 - Revell - 1/125  (Read 5087 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Fokker DR1 - Revell - 1/125
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »
Hi guys,
I know I’m going to talk you about something at the other side of the main modelling stream on this forum, nothing could be more far from a gorgeous 32nd WNW hyper-realistic kit…

But here I am, few months ago I found this tiny kit in a shop for less than 4 euro and got so curious about it...
Is a 1/250th scale snap kit from Revell… keep an eye on it if you are as curious as I was!

This is the box

I decided to take part in the Swanny’s Third WW1 contest with this tribute to Manfred Freiherr Von Richthofen on the 100th anniversay of 1914.

This picture shows how small the kit is, top wing span is about 5.8 cm!

Side A of the sprue:

Side B

Just a curiosity: the S/N on the fuselage side is the correct one, but has been erased with all the other markings

I already have some progress to show, in the next post.

Ciao

Antonio
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:47:09 AM by andonio64 »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Fokker DR1 - Revell - 1/250
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 07:21:45 PM »
This will be very interesting to watch Antonio, so far it is looking quite good. The smallest I have built is a 1:144 Sopwith Pup and it was very eye straining.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 07:35:48 PM »
Thanks Des, yes, my eyes asked for an integration to their salary …

Here we go,
I started studying the single pieces, detaching them from the sprue and trying to get rid of the Balkenkreuzen and of all the struts and structures moulded in the pieces.

The picture above shows the underside of the top (on the left) and middle (on the right) wings.
The arrows indicate the intervention points.
As you can see, the struts are unacceptable and the holes where the struts should be fixed are replaced of those square boxes.
The extractor marks are very visible. I will try to fill them with successive coats of Mr.Surfacer rather than using putty...

Here you can see underside of the bottom wing. Also here the strut insertion points are shaped as square boxes. I removed one (left in the pic) and understood they are a sort of socket.
The holes are OK and will be used for the new struts that I will build from scratch.

From this picture (bottom wing after the surgical elimination of the two boxes) and from the previous one you can easily notice that the ribs are not designed on the underside of the wings and I would like to have them also here...
I need your advice to find a solution...

Here I closed the fuselage, as you can see the cabane and the undercarriage struts must be cut away and replaced.
In the meantime I took off the wheels that shall be reused.
The squared piece of red plastic you see near the detached wheel is a slice of the pin insertion point that is on the internal side of the wheel... I removed both of them.

This is the middle wing, you can also see the underside of the tail planes which misses the ribs as well.

The upper surfaces of the three wings: on the top wing I tried to remove the crosses and in the end I just removed the ribs (s**t!!!)

Undersides are shown here after removal of the wrong parts.

Wheee it seems I underestimate the effort on this job!!!!

But that's the fun I get out of it!

BTW I have gone forward today, before showing new pics, I would like to ask advice on some points:
- Did the Fokker triplane have an Insgtrument panel? From my search it seems it hadn't, does anyone confirm? I read there was a single instrument attached to a transversal strut...
- Which colour should be painted the inside? I painted wood the plywood triangle on both the sides of the pilot
- Which colour to paint the tubular structure?
- Which colour to paint the struts? WHere they wood onr painted same color of the aircraft? I read someimes they were in olive drab sometimes in turquoise...

Thanks for helping!

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »
I forgot that beautiful WIP by Paolo (mc65)... I get most of the answers from that thread...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 08:56:58 PM »
Antonio -- which aircraft are you going to depict? 425/17 was thought to be specially painted at the factory specifically for Richtofen, it didn't have the usual colors for the non-fabric parts. Otherwise Fokker Dr. 1 Jagdstaffeln (Windsock) has an excellent color guide, I really recommend it.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »
Thanks Bo, I think I'll buy the Fokker Dr. 1 Jagdstaffeln (Windsock) for future reference (I have the 1/48 Eduard double combo), but I want to make 425/17.
I know it was all red (also the cowling) and had not the turquoise undersurfaces... is it true?

Thanks for your advice

Antonio

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
Thanks Bo, I think I'll buy the Fokker Dr. 1 Jagdstaffeln (Windsock) for future reference (I have the 1/48 Eduard double combo), but I want to make 425/17.
I know it was all red (also the cowling) and had not the turquoise undersurfaces... is it true?

Thanks for your advice

Antonio

I think this debate covers what is and isn't known pretty well. Seems like all red to me.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/camouflage-markings/36209-markings-mvrs-425-17-a-2.html

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 12:55:20 AM »
Thank you Bo,
being forced to take a decision because I want to finish my mdel before real truth will be demonstrated (  ;)  ) I assume from the long debate reported at the link you shared that:
- the plane was all red, dark red
- the crosses did not have a white crossfield (except for the tail fin)
- the undersurfaces were originally turquoise, overpainted dark red

What do you think?

What about the struts wing, cabane and undercarriace?
I would paint cabane and undercarriace red and as I read somewhere that the wing struts came from the factory in turquoise maybe they had the same treatment the undersurfaces had?

Antonio

Offline radio

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 01:48:53 AM »
So a little model nice in work.
Martin

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 02:26:18 AM »
Hallo,
here is some step ahead in this work I am enjoying more and more...

This is the current status of the fuselage interiors, painted CDL with wooden triangle on eah side of the pilot.
I also added some details such as the map pocket and some instruments (compass on the floor)...

On the left of the coin is the seat  (see furter for more details) and on the right the ammo box wich will go between the pilot and the engine (of course!)
Right bottom you can perceive the RPM indicator attached to a tube that will go in front of the pilot.

Here are some detail pics of the pilot seat.

Of course the degree of magnification takes to the eye many issues, some of which will be solved with an easy touch up, but they are scarcely visible by the naked eye...

Ciao

Antonio

Offline radio

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:37:06 AM »
Your scratch build interior is very nice also your paint.
Martin

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 02:37:21 AM »
This is quite unbelievable Antonio. I guess that the wings measure about 3 at most 4cm? You must be blessed with perfect eyes. Great and interesting build!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 02:40:24 AM »
Antonio -- I am totally not an expert on 425/17. I think RAGIII is a bit of an expert, he would know better than I...

Anyway, this tiny thing is incredible, I love it.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 05:40:00 AM »
This is like fixing your car by jacking up the radiator cap and putting a new car in underneath  ;)
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 06:22:05 AM »
Cracking, Antonio -

I love what you are doing for the cockpit on this tiny model - looking forward to seeing how this one comes out.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?