Author Topic: (Another) WNW Canadian Fokker DVII  (Read 10772 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: (Another) WNW Canadian Fokker DVII
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »
Awesome DVII! Your work is clean and precise. Excellent job on the struts and wing!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »
Man , is that ever starting to look really sharp Lance  :)  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline radio

« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »
Lance it lokks wonderful.
Martin

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
She is really looking the business now, Lance.  I was wondering if
there were any problems mounting the upper wing?
Marvelous looking aeroplane, and the Lozenge work is superb.
 Just great, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »
   Thanks for looking in again and for all your kind comments.

Stefan - I was referring to painting (with Mr Metal Colour "Stainless") the control cables for the ailerons. I use the same technique for this as many here, cutting Post It Notes and sliding them under the wires to catch any drops or spray. All of the struts were pre-painted

Richard - The tapes will be a real bonus when available. I'm not quite sure how were going to do it but Gary, Chris, and I wish to provide some sort of photo coverage to you for your Site. Least we can do to thank you for making this Set available. In the interim I'll send you some photos separately once She's done.

Ernie - Glad you mentioned the lower wing fit, as I had forgotten the (minor) problems I had fitting it. I encountered two problems:
   The fuselage width was slightly wide for the edges of the wings to fit into their "notch', I suspect this was caused by the base paint, lozenge, and several coats of Future and S/Gloss top coat on the fuselage. I tried to force the issue and ended up (Surprise!!) with  anhedral on the  lower wing and a cracked spar. The solution was to shave the inner ends of the wings after repairing the broken spar.
   Second problem was the forward spar had to be shaved down as well along it's leading edge to ensure a good fit, this was a minor operation compared to the first one.

I got the rudder fitted last night, have a half day or less of work to get her finished. 8) Unfortunately it's the weekend, Supervision in "on-site" and there's a myriad of house and yard things that must be done NOW! :-\
   Might be a day or two before another (hopefully the final) Update.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2014, 02:40:10 AM »
Sorry to be a bug, Lance, but I was wondering about the upper wing :-[.  Nice
mistake though.  The heads-up on the lower wing will be very useful to know.
I look forward to the next update...after the chores. ;) ;D

Cheers,
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2014, 03:08:54 AM »
Sorry to be a bug, Lance, but I was wondering about the upper wing :-[.  Nice
mistake though.  The heads-up on the lower wing will be very useful to know.
I look forward to the next update...after the chores. ;) ;D

Cheers,

If your original question was meant to be on the upper vs. lower wing the installation was virtually "seamless". My comments on the struts, then wing installation of 27 June pretty well sums it up.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2014, 11:34:17 AM »
  Between hoards of blood thirsty mosquitos and thunderstorms the outdoor activity got cancelled. I was so devastated I retreated to the work bench and got a whole lot done!
   The prop needed a rear boss, mostly hidden so I ignored the untrimmed outline and just installed it. This from a Copper State 1:48 Scale PE Sheet from years ago.........

All of the rigging for control cables and bracing was completed on the tailplane..............

Next I installed the landing gear module which went very smoothly. The tension on the cross bracing wires was used to obtain a level stance and some mud and grime was added using chalk Pastels.

.....and of course the prop has been installed.

I'll complete the inevitable touch ups Tomorrow and hopefully get her into the completed models section.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2014, 12:34:37 PM »
Looking forward to the completed phoot's Lance !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2014, 02:41:38 AM »
She's a real beauty Lance. The lozenge, propeller, and rigging simply look superb. You should be extremely proud of this model. The only thing that bothers me is that you've set the bar to an impossibly high level for me!  :D  Luckily though, I have your build log to follow to help me along. Thanks for that.

Are you guys going to display your Canadian DVII's together at some point? That would be great to see...

I can't speak for Gary (Trackpad) but I'll be distancing my D.VII from this museum quality model!!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2014, 03:02:33 AM »

...............and here She is done! I'm heading over to Completed Models now to file a bunch of photos from this morning. Chris, by the time you complete your patented armour wear and weathering act on this one I'll be so far back in your slipstream this one will "pale by comparison"!
   My bottom line on this Kit; superbly engineered but very delicate and unforgiving. I enjoyed it so much I'm seriously considering opening up another one and getting right at it! The Richard Kraut Albatros Built version is a must for the "Canadian Collection" however the Fokker Built black and yellow diamond bird of Sachsenberg's has my full attention presently!
    Thanks for looking in often, and for your many wonderful comments.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline radio

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2014, 03:55:40 AM »
You make an exellent work Lance.
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2014, 04:09:12 AM »
Congratulations on another brilliantly constructed and finished model, Lance!  Heading over to check out the rest of your pix.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2014, 09:20:46 AM »
Congratulations on another brilliantly constructed and finished model, Lance!  Heading over to check out the rest of your pix.
Cheers,
Bud

I don't always agree with my Amigo... well maybe I do  8) In this case though I REALLY AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY! One of the nicest DVIIS I have seen. Maybe it is the overall Lozenge that makes this one more unusual, or just the Clean and precise build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2014, 11:09:18 AM »
Not much I can add to the positive comments, Lance, but I will say your
D.VII is an absolute marvel!  I will never get to your level, but it has many
things to teach me.  It was a joy following the build, so thank you my friend
for sharing your amazing abilities with us. :D

Cheers,