Author Topic: Airco DH 1A conversion 1/72 scale  (Read 7028 times)

Offline lone modeller

Airco DH 1A conversion 1/72 scale
« on: April 03, 2014, 04:34:13 AM »
Evening All,

Over 30 years ago I decided that I wanted to build or convert all 7 of the British pusher designs that were used in frontline service or as trainers (or both) by the RFC/RNAS. At the time Revell produced the DH 2 and I had already built that, so I decided to convert the other six types from kits. I started the FB 5 and FB 9 Gunbuses but that is as far as I got because I then stopped modelling altogether. When I restarted modelling about 2 years ago I found the unfinished models in a box in my roof and I remembered my long set aside project. Well I finished the Gunbuses just to see if I could - they have been posted in completed models - and then went on to convert the other types except the subject of this thread. This is somewhat ironic because I found a piece of balsa with the outline of the DH 1A nacelle on it that had been set aside for the male mould over 30 years ago! However having waited before I started this conversion I have been lucky because a Datafile on the DH 1/1A has been published and so I have a decent set of plans to work from.

These will form my instruction leaflet. I also intend to use the good ol' Airfix DH 4 as a source of parts - the latter was an indirect derivative of the DH 1 insofar as the wings were similar in size and planform. So the kit will provide wings, wheels, a gun, struts and possibly a propellor (although I may take one from an Avro 504 as that has two blades). I have with some difficulty managed to acquire an Aeroclub 120 hp Beardmore engine so I will not have to scratch build one as I did for the FE 2.

I will also use 30 thou card, Evergreen strip, florists wire for the booms (only because I have a plentiful supply), copper wire for rigging and assorted scraps of card and stretched sprue as required. So now that I have the "kit" and the "instructions" I can at last proceed to finish my project!

I have carved the male mould for the fuselage nacelle from the block of balsa mentioned above, cut the female mould into a strip of plywood, (all highly sophisticated materials note), and have moulded the two nacelle halves.

The two holes above the DH 1A hole in the plywood were for the FE 2 and FE 8 nacelles. I have cut out the cockpit and engine openings and have started to make up some interior fittings. I have still to add the ribs and other side details however so no pictures of that at the moment. 

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:54:47 AM by lone modeller »

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Re: Airco DH 1A conversion 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 04:37:56 AM »
This should be interesting...

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 04:52:31 AM »
Sooo cool, LM!  I am excited that you are doing the DH.1A  This is one I have thought of for a 1/32 scatchbuild, but it will have to wait in line behind the FB.5 and FE.8! ;D  Looking forward to the rest of your build.  Thanks for sharing this.

By the way, you mentioned seven pusher types.  I recall the DH.2, FB.5, FE.2, FE.8, Sopwith Gunbus and DH.1.  What am I missing?

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:53 AM »
Great that you have got back onto this project after such a long time, I will be watching and following the build with much interest.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 06:37:24 PM »

By the way, you mentioned seven pusher types.  I recall the DH.2, FB.5, FE.2, FE.8, Sopwith Gunbus and DH.1.  What am I missing?

Dear Bob,

You have missed the Vickers FB 9 sometimes known as the Streamline Gunbus. This was a derivative of the FB 5 and was almost entirely used for training in the UK until about early 1918 because by the time it was ready for service it was essentially obsolete as a front-line machine. However a batch of them (24)  were built by Darraq in France in 1916 and two (7822 and 7828) were sent to 11 Squadron RFC where they were used in the first weeks of the Somme offensive (from 1. 7. 16.). It was probably one of these machines (7828) that was being flown by Lt. Morris (pilot) and Sgt. Glover (observer/gunner) when they brought down an enemy aircraft on the first day of the Somme
battle.

I have posted pictures of the FB9 in completed models and I gave a reference to the build in an earlier reply in the Penguin thread.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 11:07:17 PM »
I am sure that this build will be as informative and fun to follow as was the FB9. I am looking forward to seeing your progress!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 04:50:38 AM »
Evening All,

Thanks again to all of you for showing an interest and for your kind remarks.

I have a little more to report as I have made some progress with the nacelle, to wit I have cut out the cockpits, engine compartment and the holes and gaps at the rear and under the engine, which means that nearly half of the nacelle seems to have been cut away! I have left the bar at the rear underside a little wider than true scale because I am really concerned about the strength of this area if I were to make it the narrow bar as on the real thing. Once again a compromise has had to be made in this scale that I might not have had to have done in a larger scale.

The pieces of card in the rear of the engine compartment represent a plate that is visible in photos of this area but I do not know what it was - an oil tank perhaps? The blocks in the front will eventually support the engine and radiator.

I have also added the cockpit details as far as I have been able to establish them: a control stick, rudder bar, seat and throttle for the pilot, and a seat for the observer/gunner. The interior of the cockpits has been painted and a bulkhead added between the pilot and the engine compartment and between the cockpits. A small window on the topside of the nacelle between the cockpits was cut out and the "glazing" was from a piece of acetate cut from a model bubble pack. I have also put on the flat plates in the front of the observers cockpit. The coaming around the pilot's cockpit is from thin stretched sprue.

The radiator has been cut from card and scored, with thin strips of card to make the sides. There was a cover over the engine on these aircraft - that was made from 15 thou card and the edges gently sanded with fine glass paper just to round them.]

More updates when more progress has been made.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:00:22 AM by lone modeller »

Offline IanB

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »
Very nice work as usual LM! Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Ian

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »
You have made excellent progress LM, the nacelle is taking shape nicely.

Des.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »
Hello LM,

This must have been a difficult job!  Nice and clean cuts. Awesome in this scale. How do you manage? I'm looking forward to see your build grow.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 03:26:49 AM »
Brilliant work on the nacelle, LM!  This promises to be another one of your gems.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 04:07:11 AM »
Evening All,

Once again many thanks to all for the supportive comments.

This must have been a difficult job!  Nice and clean cuts. Awesome in this scale. How do you manage?

Patrick, the cutting of the moulds is no more difficult than a vacuform - indeed it is very similar. Of course all of the joints and openings are cleaned up with glass paper and as I keep repeating, I use an eye loupe (magnifier which clips on to my glasses). I simply could not work in this scale (or do very fine work any other probably), without it.

I have made some more progress although things have been a bit slow as I have been distracted somewhat this week, and the Easter weekend is looming…..

I put two small supports for the engine into the engine compartment and then started the fiddle to get the engine to fit properly. The front of the engine sat behind the radiator housing and the rear extended slightly over the bar on the rear fuselage so I used a round file to shape a groove in the bar so that the end of the engine could rest on it.  The radiator was cemented into place on the nacelle first, followed by the engine, which had been painted of course. I then added a piece of card to the starboard side of the engine - I am not certain what this was for - I think that it may have been an oil tank. The support struts were from stretched sprue. The exhaust sits above.

I removed the centre section from the lower wing of the DH 4. The new tip shape was drawn on the wings and then they were cut and reshaped. The strut holes, aileron grooves, and moulding dimples were filled and sanded and the bomb racks removed. I also rubbed down the wing ribs and added two small pieces of 20 thou card to the cut out in the centre section. The new cut-out was made and the trailing edge of the card sanded to a knife edge. Finally I re-aligned the anhedral.

The wings were now ready to fix to the nacelle: these were supported while they dried out to ensure that the correct anhedral was achieved. As usual I used the most sophisticated tools to support the wings while they dried out. Getting the wings square with the nacelle and the correct anhedral is crucial if everything is to line up properly later. I added new ribs from 10 thou Evergreen strip and the new ailerons were scribed.

Final details were then added to the nacelle. I drilled two holes for the front undercarriage legs, and made two ammunition boxes for the observer from 10 thou card and cemented them to the front of the nacelle sides. I made a small air intake for the starboard side just behind the pilot's cockpit from 10 thou card and another intake for underneath the nacelle, also from 10 thou card.

I will post more when I have completed the top wing and tail surfaces.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:47:06 AM by lone modeller »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 04:27:09 AM »
Outstanding progress! Looks terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 07:02:36 AM »
Incredible work in 1:72 again LM. I admire your talent and results. Very ambitious project, and inspiring to say the least. Like your previous Builds, a joy to follow!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »
Beautiful work LM, the match under the wing really shows how small this model is, you are achieving great results in a small scale.

Des.