Author Topic: 1/16 MA Alb D.Va on Sale thru tomorrow  (Read 1875 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
1/16 MA Alb D.Va on Sale thru tomorrow
« on: March 14, 2014, 03:52:46 AM »
Every once in awhile the Model Airways Albatros D.Va comes up on sale, reg price is something ridiculous, "normal" sale price is like $240, thru tomorrow it's $200 with the following coupon code: MAD14

Link

I decided to jump on one even though it is obviously a deeply flawed kit. I blame "Propeller" Dan.  ;)  :D

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: 1/16 MA Alb D.Va on Sale thru tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 04:07:34 AM »
Interesting.  How is it deeply flawed, Bo?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:22:05 AM »
Cheers,
Bud

That was a poor choice of words; "deeply flawed" suggests that it is completely the wrong shape or something, which doesn't seem to be true.

Recall Rizzo's Camel build from awhile back...

I probably should have said something like "will require a good deal of modification to raise it to our standards"; from what I can see and what I have read the detail on the metal parts would not cut the mustard in 1/32, let alone 1/16. You can see from the pix that the engine block is not really the correct shape, the MG barrels are solid, etc. At one point I studied it really closely and found lots and lots of nits. But I've been buried in Alby D.V-land for two soild years now :)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:29:38 AM »
I've been buried in Alby D.V-land for two soild years now :)
That'll do it! ;)
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

mike in calif

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 08:28:40 AM »
I have an original release of this kit Bo, are you aware of a punch list sort of thing one might be able print and stash in the kit for a future day?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:50:55 AM »
I have an original release of this kit Bo, are you aware of a punch list sort of thing one might be able print and stash in the kit for a future day?

I am not aware of such a thing, but that doesn't mean much.

I did study the instructions a fair bit this afternoon (available online at the link above as a PDF download) and I can say from what I know about the D.V is that it is generally accurate in terms of arrangement etc. but almost all the details are funky in one way or another.

My dream is to follow PROPELLER's lead and use the kit more as a template than anything else. At this point I also envision building it with plywood skin, "fabric" surfaces and metal cowlings, removeable or cutaway in places I guess as needed to expose the guts...

mike in calif

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 01:58:16 PM »
Thanks Bo. I guess when the time comes, I'll have a few 1/16th kits to step up to. The new Tripe is looking pretty good. A Spad would be an ideal next kit in 1/16th, but that's just me.
 Your doing the Albie would be a hell of a project, esp. following Propellers lead, that SE5a is just unreal.

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 02:38:10 AM »
Cheers,
Bud

Other than the accuracy issues (details rather than outline), I understand these kits don't tend to be able to stand up under their own weight. All that cast metal bends the undercarriage legs.

However, that guides you nicely towards the solution of having lots of fun remaking all of it! :)

Bo, you would make something amazing from this kit, I hope you do it!

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 02:25:59 AM »
The kit arrived today. I could post a review if anyone is interested. (It's quite an old kit...)

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 04:40:26 AM »
I'd be intrigued to read your thoughts on the kit Bo, for one.

I'd love a big scale Albie but  finances and other restraints would  put it in the realm of dreams for a while yet.

K
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
Yep, I'd like to see a review. Along with your initial thoughts of what are the areas that are good on their own, what could use a bit of modifying, and what you'd have to go all Uncle Tony on.