Author Topic: hans korners dr.1  (Read 1304 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

hans korners dr.1
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
i am rushing to finish my roden 1/32 dr.1 in hans korners scheme for our local contest on the 29th. i see on the profiles he had a iron crosses which were modeified into the balken crosses. on the wings i will just use future mixed with white to over paint the points of the crosses and end up with a hopefully realistic finish. i also notice there are remnants of crosses left over on the fuselage which have been removed in the field. how was this done? was more olive brown paint streaked over the crosses so that i should put the decals on and streak over them or was the paint somehow stripped off with paint thinner or such leaving a more smeared stripped looking remnant, i dont know what to do in this case,any one know which way it was done back then and/or have any idea of how to simulate this. below is a link to a pheon ad which has the scheme i want to do in the main picture.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/decals/pheon48003reviewjf_1.htm

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: hans korners dr.1
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
Who knows? All of the above, maybe, would depend on the whim of the squadron painter. Removing some or all of the existing markings would have been possible but would be messy, time consuming and would consume possibly precious chemicals... I would opt for simple over-painting... But again, absent more evidence... Who knows?

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 03:24:08 PM »
i know i saw in one of my books that a cross had been removed from an albatros, but that is a wooden fuselage. might be easier to use thinner to strip a cross from wood, easier to paint over a cross on fabric like you guys said. i have seen some profiles where there is a dark olive patch over cross areas but most of the hans korner profiles show an evident cross. perhaps i should put the decal on and then make a future based green paint and layer translucent coats until it just peaks thru.

Offline davecww1

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »
Looking at the decals I would apply the cross to the fuselage (I assume that it has the white box still with it also), then mask around the white box and overpaint with olive thinned with Future.  Build up a few light coats, the airbrush is perfect for this until it looks right.  I'm sure in the field they brushed the olive right over the white cross field and cross but the olive was not 100% opaque so you an see a lighter area where it was white underneath, and darker where the black cross was.
Dave