Author Topic: French Sopwith Bomber with Figures  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Gordon Wells

French Sopwith Bomber with Figures
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:45:47 AM »
Well here goes my first show and tell on this forum . This is my second WW1 plane kit .
I'm doing the Roden 1/48th Sopwith French Bomber with a few figures from Eduards set of 6 French Air Corps . The Roden kit is the worst kit I've ever made in my years of making various different kits. Nothing fitted properly, it needed either filing down, drilling out or filling in . It might be something to do with the fact Roden are producing 4 different versions of the plane from one kit just changing the box and instruction sheets per version . I had more spare parts left over than when I repaired the washing machine .
The figures are in a set of 6 and not at all bad considering the scale and price . The two French officers are as per the kit but the pilot I have modified by cutting a small V section in the middle then bending to get the leaning pose and used two arms from one of the other figures and the hands from another from the set . The table and tail support I made from coffee stirrers and matchsticks and the map on the table comes in the Eduards RFC set which I have already for my next project .
Gordon

I Never Make The Same Mistake Twice . I make it five or six times just to make sure !!!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: French Sopwith Bomber with Figures
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:07:12 AM »
Great work so far, Gordon.  Thanks for the heads-up on the fit issues.  I've got 3 of these in my stash and they are high on the to do list.  You've done an excellent job on posing the figures.  What scheme will you be doing?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 07:16:01 AM »
Excellent looking build so far. Looking forward to the next update,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
Very nice build so far Gordon, sorry to hear about the fit issues but it appears you resolved the problems with flying colours, the addition of the figures certainly brings life to the scene, looking forward to more updates.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »
Sometimes these things seem sent to try us Gordon,but it's great to see that you have battled your way through this far. I look forward to seeing your next update.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline IanB

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »
Looking good so far Gordon, I do like the figures at the table! I'm looking forward to seeing your next update. However, I think you may be about to discover why most of us prefer to paint before attaching the upper wing....good luck!  ;)

Ian

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 07:27:38 PM »
Hello Gordon,

Great work so far! It's a pity you had so many problems with the fitting. These figures look great and your composition is very convincing. Like Ian I wonder if you won't have a lot of difficulties in painting with the upper wing already fixed. Keep up the great work.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Gordon Wells

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »
Thank you all for your interest replies . Bud, funny you should ask about the colour scheme,  I was intending to go with the colours on the Box Art and start to paint the kit in those colours but since painting the figures and have now changed it to the light sand colour as this seems to go better with them .
Ian and Patrick I am now an older and wiser man  ::) ::) . The only reason I glue the upper wing on is to give a good fixing as I find that gluing parts after painting is not very successful , the parts never seem to glue togehter well . If you have a reliable method I would love to hear it .
I should have some paint on a few things over the weekend I'll post some updates then .
Gordon
I Never Make The Same Mistake Twice . I make it five or six times just to make sure !!!

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 08:15:38 AM »
For gluing after painting, scrape the mating surfaces to be glued with your blade. Go gently and all should be well.I am a novice myself but this should help. A very nice build with the figures too. I have a love/ hate relationship with Roden kits also.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »
Very nice work, Gordon.  The figures at the table are a nice addition.  I look forward
to seeing the aeroplane all painted up.  It should be a really good looker.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline IanB

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 11:55:42 PM »
Since the struts are usually fitted into holes in the wings there should be no strength issues here. Clean out the locating holes with an appropriate size drill bit after painting if required, add the rigging, and you'll have a pretty secure attachment.

Ian

Offline Gordon Wells

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 06:39:20 AM »
OK I put some paint on a few things , the two officers are more or less finished , the pilot still needs the overalls painting and the plane is half way through, it still needs a couple more coats before weathering

I would like to know if you think I've overdone the flaking paint on the engine cowl

Gordon

Offline radio

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:08:47 AM »
The figures are lovely.
Martin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 07:53:37 AM »
Like Martin said, the figures are lovely! I Like the chipped paint. I think the ultimate decision is yours. Do you think it is too much?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 09:07:32 AM »
I like the chipping as well, Gordon.  Very nice paint work...the figures look great too.
Very nice work.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...