Author Topic: French Sopwith Bomber with Figures  (Read 2560 times)

Offline IFF1418

Re: French Sopwith Bomber with Figures
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »
Hi Gordon,

Lovely scene (great table!), well painted. Like it very much! Enjoyable for the eyes.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Gordon Wells

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »
RAGIII, Maybe I put the question about the chipped the wrong way . What I should have asked is , would the paint work chipped and flaked as much as I have done .
I know nothing about how much these planes lost there factory finish once they where in service , I do know that the paints were the old lead based oil paints and the cowling would be a hot point which would make that type of paint bubble up and flake of after a while , but would it have been repainted regularly .
I like the effect I have created and would like to keep it but if it's wrong then I would tone it down a bit .
Gordon
I Never Make The Same Mistake Twice . I make it five or six times just to make sure !!!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 11:08:13 PM »
RAGIII, Maybe I put the question about the chipped the wrong way . What I should have asked is , would the paint work chipped and flaked as much as I have done .
I know nothing about how much these planes lost there factory finish once they where in service , I do know that the paints were the old lead based oil paints and the cowling would be a hot point which would make that type of paint bubble up and flake of after a while , but would it have been repainted regularly .
I like the effect I have created and would like to keep it but if it's wrong then I would tone it down a bit .
Gordon

I will say this much. I am of the school of thought that less is best. I tend to understate my weathering. If this were mine I would probably make the chipped areas smaller and less obvious. But I must EMPHASIZE that this is nothing but MY OPINION! You are still the ultimate judge. IHTH,
RAGIII
PS: If you have references for this aircraft look through them as they will tend to show the right direction for weathering.
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 01:57:08 AM »
Hello Gordon

I think that you have made a bold attempt at a very difficult model and I raise a glass to you!

You ask about the extent of your paint work chipping. Like RAGIII indicates, I think this is very much a matter of personal taste and preference. I too am a minimalist, well to be truthful, pretty much an almost nothing at all-ist ! So for me, there is a bit too much, but I wouldn't want to confuse my doubts over the extent with respect for your exploratory technique. My guess would be that unless you had specific photographic image in mind, the ground crew would be touching up a distinctive cowling like this on a reasonably regular basis. That said, be proud of what you have achieved.

This is just my view and worth no more than anybody else's and I really look forward to seeing more of your work.

Best wishes
Nigel