Author Topic: 1/72 DH-2 HELP PLEASE  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Modelnut

1/72 DH-2 HELP PLEASE
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:30:26 AM »
I'm at the stage where I need to attach EIGHT struts to the wings of my Revell DH-2.                     
Any advise on mounting all those suckers straight and true would be much appreciated.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: 1/72 DH-2 HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »
Start with the four centre section struts and get the top wing square/aligned correctly. Use a jig if necessary - I use some of my son's lego bricks. When dry put in the remaining interplane struts. That is assuming the kit is not one of those where the interplane struts are in pairs with connecting strips and trenches in the wings (ugh!)
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 11:50:33 AM »
   To take Jame's excellent recommendation further here's the very simple alignment jig I use. You may still need the lego or simple wood / cardboard jig in combination with this.
   Use your top wing strut mounting holes for the reference and drill a straight piece of plastic card stock to "simulate the top wing"..................check the photo for rough dimensions of the jig compared to your model.

Once you have the location/spacing done start with the front or rear pair, drop in your slow curing CA and struts, once perfectly aligned I use my forth pair of hands (seems like it!) to apply some CA Accelerator. The second pair is far easier using the "set" pair to hold the alignment. Then you can pop on the upper wing and, as Jamo says, just spread the wings to insert the interplane struts.

And the result, all four cabanes attached or in your case it will be the center pairs of interplanes.

Here it is ready for the interplanes, the top wing attached only to the cabanes.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »
Thanks for the jig idea. I've seen people use them, but you made it simple to understand. I would have never thought of the plastic sheet mock-up. The eight struts are all individual parts. Amazingly the spindly rear cage assembled square and with no warpage. It's not attached yet. I'll do that after I get the wings rigged.

Thanks again Guys!  :)

Offline NP

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »
This is a good idea.  May I add that if you use transparent plastic for the guide card,  you can locate where the holes need to be drilled in the guide card by placing the guide card directly over the top wing and then be able to see through the transparent plastic to see exactly where the strut mounting holes are and ergo where the holes in the guide card need to be drilled out, to match that location. It is also easier to line up the struts and pop them into those holes in the guide card if you can see through the guide down on to the struts. The only thing is you need to find a sufficiently rigid but thin bit of transparent plastic to do the job.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »
That's a great jig Lance and I wish I had seen it prior to installing my S.E.5a cabanes. NP's idea of using clear plastic will make it even easier for me . . . I hope!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
Great tips. Thanx guys!!!

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 01:02:15 AM »
Yet another case of "two heads are better then one"! That's why I enjoy these forum discussions so much; the clear vs. solid colour plastic for the jig makes so much more sense, and I'm on it for sure. A good idea made better. Thanks NP, again I've learned something through the sharing of approaches and ideas. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
That's a great jig Lance and I wish I had seen it prior to installing my S.E.5a cabanes. NP's idea of using clear plastic will make it even easier for me . . . I hope!
Cheers,
Chris

Perfect timing for me: my WNW SE is still in the loft! I'll be using this idea when it (and the eventual Snipe!) gets decanted onto my modelling table. Thanks!  :)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 08:18:37 AM »

Perfect timing for me: my WNW SE is still in the loft! I'll be using this idea when it (and the eventual Snipe!) gets decanted onto my modelling table. Thanks!  :)
[/quote]

Trackpad,
   Worked on mine!

If you are building the standard version the cabanes literally "snap" into their mounting holes. I modified with the True Details bulged cockpit (McCudden's B4891) and the jig saved the day as the cabanes had to be carefully positioned in their new holes.
Enjoy the build; it's an absolutely wonderful kit and I really was impressed with the fit etc.
Cheers,
Lance

firechief

Re: 1/72 DH-2 HELP PLEASE - another DH-2 question
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »

Greetings!

I have the 1/72 Eduard DH-2 Profipack and am absolutely lost at how to begin to rig it , once I start assembly it.  I have a rigging diagram,  all the .004 thread, and .005 wire I might ever need, but I can't fathom which technique to use and where (when) in the building process I should use them. Any thoughts from the collective wisdom on this board would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rich De Lisi

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »
Welcome aboard Firechief. On mine, I built the rear cage separatly, making sure it was squared up. I then proceded to build the forward fuselage , painted it and the wings, then decaled. My struts are painted awaiting the time to put the above advise into action. I will then rig as much as possible the forward assembly, then attach the cage and finish rigging.

Des has a rigging tutorial as well as other tips on his main site. We micro-scale fanatics have to adapt our methods a little from the larger scale builds though. (Unless you have eyes like a microscope and hands like a neurosurgeon, which I don't.)

For rigging into the fuselage I drill a tiny hole and insert fishing line, 2 or 4 # test, and secure with a drop of superglue. On stuts I carefully tie a slip knot and secure with glue and carefully pull taunt and repeat the method on the other strut. Work outward towards the wingtip.

There are some other 1/72 scale builders on here that have mastered rigging in the small scale. Hopefully one of them can jump in, or peruse the under construction builds for 1/72 projects.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:22:45 AM »

Trackpad,    Worked on mine!

If you are building the standard version the cabanes literally "snap" into their mounting holes. I modified with the True Details bulged cockpit (McCudden's B4891) and the jig saved the day as the cabanes had to be carefully positioned in their new holes.
Enjoy the build; it's an absolutely wonderful kit and I really was impressed with the fit etc.
Cheers,
Lance
[/quote]

Hey, Lance,

Thanks for this information. I've got it printed out and placed into the SE box. Mine will probably be a standard build, but I can use all of the thoughts and reviews I can find!  ;)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »
I "sort of" completed the DH2 this weekend. Miles and miles of rigging! And I only did 3/4  of what should be there!   

On THE VERY LAST "X" on the cage in front of the tail empendage I screwed up. It was slightly loose and I went to heat tighten it. I thought Man I'm gonna snap it. Sure enough I did. :-[   

After spending an entire rainy afternoon rigging the little bird and on the LAST step before finishing I goof bigtime.

She's on the display shelf anyway for now. When my discouragement subsides I'll repair her.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »
Photos, Sir, photos! I just have to see this one rigged in 1/72nd scale. Congratulations on this project. I built this as a youngster, and the rigging requirement never entered what passed for my head!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary