Author Topic: 1/72 Bleriot XI "Penguin" trainer  (Read 9409 times)

Offline lone modeller

1/72 Bleriot XI "Penguin" trainer
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:44:21 AM »
Evening All,

Following the completion of my fifth pusher conversion recently I decided that I would like to build something a little different so I was looking at the possibilities offered by tractor monoplanes. I had thought of a kit or conversion, but then remembered a question from Rob Hart in JoeDxMB's build of the Pyro Bleriot XI asking what was the relationship between the basic type XI and the Penguin trainer. I have always been interested in the lesser known early aircraft so this seems to be a good idea. Des' recent excellent build in 1/32 scale has also nudged me in this direction and I have consulted the other excellent build thread by IanB. It would be possible to convert the Eastern Express kit (originally issued by Frog in their Trailblazer series in the early 1960's) but I decided against this as it has so many inaccuracies that a scratch-build would be just as easy and a lot cheaper. I will use the plans for the type XI of 1913 in the Datafile number 109 The Bleriot XI at War and such information that I can find on the internet.

Penguins were basically the Bleriot type XI monoplane with clipped wings, a less powerful engine, smaller propellor and skids above the wheel axle to stop the machine from nosing over. Some had a horizontal bar above the cockpit rather than a pylon structure and there were many variations on the basic design which were probably the product of the availability of suitable engines, and local modifications and repairs. Some machines had a wider track to the undercarriage to make it more stable on the uneven surfaces of early airfields, and the elevators on the tail varied from the early type (as used on the machine that Bleriot used to cross the channel) to later more conventional types. In short, like most early aircraft there seems to have been a great deal of variation on the basic theme. This will allow me to use a bit of imagination and modellers' licence where I am uncertain of specific details.

I started by constructing the fuselage sides from 20 x 30 thou Evergreen strip and then joining the sides with cross strips, also of 20 x 30 thou thickness.

I will post more pictures and information when I have completed the next stages: completing and painting the fuselage structure and making an engine.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:56:49 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: 1/72 Bleriot XI "Penguin" trainer
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »
Great to see another Bleriot being scratch built LM. Before I built mine I read quite a lot on the trainer version, it will be a challenge in 1:72 scale but I'm sure you will do a splendid job, looking forward to following along with your build.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline blubasso

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »
I will follow this WIP carefully because i love scratchbuilder works...
Just a question: are you sure that the Winsock you mentioned is the 109th? Shouldn't be the 108th or am i wrong?
If it's made from wood and canvas and flies, it's my friend. And the friends of my friend are my friends too

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
I scratchbuilt a Bleriot XI some years ago in 1/48. It looks a little chunky now but it will do.
If you can - make sure you shape all the timbers with their little curves and champfers (sp?) - I didn't and it really annoys me now.
There is a pic or three on my website under AFC aircraft.
I will watch this thread, especially as you are going for 1/72!!!

Good luck.
Carpo
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline AROTH

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:48:15 PM »
108 it is.

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:33:15 PM »
This will be fun to watch. I'm happy to see you taking this on.

Offline IanB

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 05:46:49 AM »
I'll be watching this one avidly - it'll  be great to see another 1:72 Blériot being built!

Ian

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
I will enjoy following your build, LM.  I really admire the scratch-builders here,
particularly in the teeny scale.  Good luck with the Bleriot, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 01:10:43 PM »
Looking forward to your progress! Yours and Des's build actually made me look at my OLD Pyro kit. Put it back in the box.....  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »
I fully subscribe what Ernie said LM. You are a great modeler having the courage to start on this. Good luck!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:28:43 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your kind and encouraging remarks - they are greatly appreciated.

My apologies for the error in the Datafile number: that was a slip of the finger and I did not notice the error when I checked the text. Thank you blubasso for pointing it out and Aroth for correcting.

Sorry Carpo but I have decided not to put in the curves and chamfers on the frames - in God's own scale that would be very difficult indeed and I know my limits!! I do like adding detail but that is one set that I think that I can live without. The compromise line has to be drawn somewhere…..

I have made some slow progress as I do not seem to get much time at the moment to sit at the modelling table. However I have managed to insert a piece of strip at the rear of the cockpit between the fuselage frames: as Des found it adopted the correct curve very neatly. A piece of 10 thou card made the cockpit floor. The long arm at the front is for the undercarriage and is deliberately too long as I will trim it later when I have been able to work out the correct dimensions.

I decided to represent a 40 hp 6 cylinder radial Anzani engine on my model as this was probably the type of engine used on an Italian machine shown in the Datafile. The crankcase was cut and shaped from sprue and the cylinders came from the same source. The exhaust pipes were from 15 thou rod bent to shape.

The control column and wheel and boss at the bottom were made stretched sprue and shaped card. A seat was also made from card. A fuel tank was made from scrap sprue filed to shape with Evergreen strip to make the supports. A throttle lever and a couple of dials completed the cockpit details. The rigging was done with copper wire - which is one reason why I have been a bit slow - there is a lot of it and it was fiddly to say the least. I had also added a fuselage side panel and the fuselage bottom when I took these photos.

The white marks on the fuselage frames are where I have scraped off the paint so that the liquid glue will hold the plastic card sides properly. I intend to mould an upper fuselage decking rather than trying to shape one from metal. Metal bashing has never been one of my strong suits.

More when I have completed the next stage.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:01:48 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:26:20 AM »
You are moving along quite nicely LM, what you have achieved so far is looking really good.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 10:08:38 AM »
She's coming along nicely LM - looking good!

Ian

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »
Nice progress, LM.  Very interesting build, especially in the wee scale.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
LM,
Looks absolutely STUNNING so far!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler