Author Topic: 1/72 Bleriot XI "Penguin" trainer  (Read 9559 times)

Offline IFF1418

Re: 1/72 Bleriot XI "Penguin" trainer
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 04:48:37 AM »
Hello LM,

I am full of admiration for what you accomplish out of nothing. Great modeling!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 05:54:45 AM »
Evening All,

Many thanks to all for the very encouraging remarks - I really do appreciate them. I am expecting some headaches with the undercarriage so it is great to know that so many people are behind me. I will post more when I am ready.

Please pardon my veering off topic a bit, but you mentioned at the start that you have completed five pusher conversions.  I recall the Sopwith Gunbus and the Fee, but not the others.  If it's not too much trouble, could you please post links to those other three pusher conversions? 

Bob

Bob: I have not posted builds on the other three pushers on this site because I did not know of it at the time. There are photos in the completed models section here which you are probably already aware of. The FB 5 and FB 9 do not have full illustrated builds because I found them in my roof as partially completed models which I had started over 30years ago. I had completely forgotten about them and I only took photos of the state in which I found them as I did not think that anyone else would be interested. (It was only when a friend, and another modeller, told me otherwise that I started to take photos of my builds and then started to post them). There are build articles (text and photos of the completed models only), at the following site:
http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/w1/gb/fosterfb5.htm - this is the FB 5
http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/w1/gb/fosterfb9.htm - this is the FB9

The FE 8 was posted at:
http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=39040 - this is a full build with photos as by then I had learned that other modellers were interested in what I was doing. 

I hope that these are helpful and thank you again for showing an interest in my builds.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 06:44:36 AM »
Thanks LM!  Those are wonderful.  ;D 

Regards,

Bob

Offline Zabu

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 05:44:10 AM »
Very nice LM.

Fantastic stuff from you once more. Looking forward to see some more progress.

Cheers

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 05:39:24 AM »
Evening All,

Thank you Zabu for your kind remarks, and indeed all of the rest of you for showing an interest in this build.

As predicted the undercarriage is causing problems which I am in the process of trying to solve - more later. In the meantime i decided to put the wings on as I think that they will not seriously get in the way when I finally attempt the undercarriage. The wings fitted well and I managed to get the correct dihedral with some very simple supports. The gaps between the wings and fuselage (there are always some tiny ones aren't there) were filled with paint and no longer show. These images show progress on the main structure so far.

The undercarriage is causing several problems. The first is the nature of the legs and suspension but I think(?) that I can solve that with stretched sprue and thin rod. The second problem is the wheels which were spoked. Making spoked wheels in this scale is not an option for me so I made some discs from clear acetate sheet and scribed the spokes with the point of dividers. The tyres were made from thin rod bent around the handle of a file and held in hot water. The diameter of the file handle is smaller than the centre of the wheel so that the curved rod sat very tightly when I fixed it. Please remember that all of this is rather small (even when I look through an eye loupe with x10 magnification), so some minor problems will hopefully not show too much on the finished model. I know that IanB used kit wheels on his Bleriot but I do not have deep enough pockets to buy a kit just for the wheels, and anyway I wanted to try to scratch-build all of this model for a challenge, so a compromise is necessary. This is what I have achieved at the moment - I may have another to to see if I can improve on it.

I will post again when the undercarriage headache has gone away because I will have fitted it and finished painting the model, including touching in where necessary.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:09:41 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 06:47:17 AM »
This is a fascinating build LM, and thank you for sharing it with us. Headaches maybe, but the inventive ways in which you are approaching things and tackling problem areas in this tiny size is so interesting.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 07:32:28 AM »
She looks really good with the wings fitted and your solution for the spoked wheels in such a tiny scale is btilliant, well done and I look forward to seeing the wheels on the model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline radio

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 08:48:03 AM »
What a very good scratch buiding LM.
Martin

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 09:34:45 AM »
This is a great build LM.  Thanks for sharing your creative solutions and techniques in creating this very unique and interesting model. ;D

Regards,

Bob

Offline IanB

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »
Good progress LM, those wheels look pretty damn good in the pics....

Ian

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
You are making terrific progress, LM.  She is really taking shape and looks
wonderful with the wings on.  The wheels are simply quite amazing. Great work!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2014, 11:33:56 PM »
Your Bleriot is looking Fantastic now that you have the wings mounted! I like your wheel solution as well!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline xmald

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 04:37:00 AM »
LM your work is amazing :o Such a beauty in 1/72nd! Most inspiring my friend!
Best regards
Filip

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Hello LM,

This is such a beautiful, creative build, really a pleasure to follow. Keep up the great work she will be a stunner!

Here is a little anecdote about the Penguin and novice American pilots in France I found in :

High Adventure – A Narrative of air fighting in France by James Norman Hall

"It was a crisp, calm morning—an excellent day for flying. Already the mechanicians were bringing out the machines and lining them up in front of the hangars, in preparation for the morning work, which began immediately after appel. Drew and I had received notice that we were to begin our training at once. Solicitous fellow countrymen had warned us to take with us all our flying clothes. We were by no means to forget our goggles, and the fur-lined boots which are worn over ordinary boots as a protection against the cold. Innocently, we obeyed all instructions to the letter. The absurdity of our appearance will be appreciated only by air-men. Novices begin their training, at a Blériot monoplane school, in Penguins—low-powered machines with clipped wings, which are not capable of leaving the ground. We were dressed as we would have no occasion to be dressed until we should be making sustained flights at high altitudes. Every one, Frenchmen and Americans alike, had a good laugh at our expense, but it was one in which we joined right willingly; and one kind-hearted adjudant-moniteur, in order to remove what discomfiture we may have felt, told us, through an interpreter, that he was sure we would become good air-men."

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Zabu

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 06:00:13 AM »
HI LM.

Great update, love those spoked wheels.

Cheers