Author Topic: new idea for weathering/shading montone schemes  (Read 2682 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

new idea for weathering/shading montone schemes
« on: May 11, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
it was quite accidental this time, i was working on the roden dh-9 kit. the paint scheme is pc-10/cdl for the most part. i usually have a bit of trouble doing highlighting on roden kits because the wing/flying surface detail is sorta flat. some like it like this. when i do a special hobby,eduard or even a wnw kit there is a raised defined rib tape so i dry brush to highlight raised detail a lightened version of the basecoat. in this case i painted her up with a custom pc-10 mix. i have an airbrush but i hate cleaning it so i do alot of brush painting when i can. generally after i paint 2-3 coats i buff the surface with a 2000 to 3000 grit to remove surface imperfections, fluff that gets in the paint and the odd slight brush mark. this gives it a nice smooth surface which many have been astonished in person that i brushed it. well in this case i ended up not being happy with my pc-10, it was a tad light.(you may see where this is going) so  after i brushed on a coat of future i painted a couple coats of a darker mix. when i did my post buff to smooth her out i was pleasantly surprised that i started seeing the raised areas become perfectly highlighted. so i continued until i had a very nice set of highlights along the ribs and other raised areas like the corners of the fuselage and such. i really like the subtle effect,. it was always hard to drybrush a roden kit because of the lack of definition. this solves that. so i guess it is pre-highlighting since it isnt shading. whatever the case i will do this more on roden kits instead of drybrushing. i thought i might pass it on in case someone could benefit from my accidental lesson.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Re: new idea for weathering/shading montone schemes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:23:24 PM »
Some of the best techniques are discovered by accident.  Yours will give the highlighting you describe, plus some depth to the main body of colour, where some of the coat underneath may just show through?  I will certainly be using several coats of matt/satin black and dark grey on my WNW late Fee, with hopefully similar results.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:35:03 AM »
That is very interesting. I have wondered how best to achieve this as I also prefer brush painting. Thanks for sharing!
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »
it actually looks pretty nice, i had to try it on something else so i took my old roden 1/32 albatros which i had done in voss's heart scheme. i was never happy with the white tail. so i painted 2 coats of an off white/cream color and did the buffing treatment. it even looks better than the dh-9. the high spots are now white and the low spots the cream. so the impression from a distance is white but when u look closer it has all this depth now. clear coating enhances it further. its a gradient too in places the higher spots are lighter and as it gets further away the darkercolor is translucent. what a happy accident.