Author Topic: Pastels..  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
Pastels..
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:46:09 AM »
I've seen references to using Pastels for weathering, stains, dirt, exhaust, etc.. on Models. I've never used them for that purpose, but since i have 4 boxes loaded with them (from doing Art) I figured might as well use them on my Models..

I cannot locate any information on proper use and application of Pastels.just other folks mentioning they used Pastels.. Perchance anyone here have some helpful information on using Pastels on models??

I'd imagine that one wants to use the "dry/Chalk" type of pastels as opposed to the oil based Pastels.. but other then that i am at a lose on how I might incorporate Pastels into my models..

Thanks.... ;D

Dean ~~ 8) 8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:09:26 AM by Flyjunkie »
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Pastels..
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 10:59:28 AM »
Yup the chalk type are the ones to use. Grind the sticks on sandpaper and brush them on the model. They are a weathering process you want to use late in the project as they are easily removed. You can set them with a clear coat but that makes them darker. The pigment powders that are sold now, Mig for example, seem to grab the paint a bit better but they are still fragile. They will be fine for interior weathering.

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »
I could be wrong here but I remember reading that the pastels only work well on a matt/flat surface, apparently they don't work well on a gloss surface, please correct me if I am wrong.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »
  Des,
You're  correct my old friend the pastels work best on a matt surface .The matt surface has more of a bite for the pastels to grab on to. With a gloss surface there's not enough bite for the pastel to grap on to,so when sealed most if not all of the pastels will simply be blown away.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 02:59:14 AM »
....forgot to mention that part didnt I? Another reason why its late in the process...the model is already matte coated.....

Offline Edo

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
Hi all!
You are all right regarding 'dry' pastels.
However, I use oil based ones too.
I use them for dry brushing, here is how it works:
first you rub the pastel to a paper sheet in order to form a thick layer of solid colour
then you take an old paintbrush (I usually take a square tipped one with stiff bristles) and rub on the colour
lastly you dry brush your model

I tend to use mostly white and silver pastels, but also black, gray and brown have an use.
Silver is great to simulate metal shine on nuts or rivets for example

ideally you should use a different paintbrush for each colour, or you'll end up with a dirt brush and a dirt finish...
Give it a try!
Ciao
Edo

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »
  Edo,
Thanks for the great tip my old friend. I've got give this a go.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 05:39:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies... I've been "inspecting" my Pastel collection and i am set for any needs... I can even do an Lozenge pattern I want with the color selection i own in Pastels..

Thank you Edo for the advice on the Oil Base Pastel... I can see how it would work...

Thanks !!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:43:13 AM by Flyjunkie »
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson