Author Topic: WNW Albatros DVa Jasta 76b Karl Hopf  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

WNW Albatros DVa Jasta 76b Karl Hopf
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:48:37 AM »
Here is the completed build of the WNW Albatros DVa with the Bavarian decals option, Jasta 76b Karl Hopf.

This was in my stash over 2 years, but had been a gift from my partner's father.  I bought the extra decals as this particular option features the crest of Wurzburg, the town where she was originally from.

The kit itself was everything you would expect from WNW, superbly engineered and allows a novice like me to produce decent results yet still gives more accomplished modellers the chance to produce superb detailed aircraft.  The interior and engine assembled mostly straightforward, with a few usual fragile bits.  The way the fuselage halves go together make for a few tricky bits with the aileron control cables and pulleys, and the bar supporting the guns also having to be cantilevered on one fuselage half first.  The engine frame and cockpit sub assembly make for a model in their own right.

I was quite pleased with the woodgraining.  I had the HGW decal set for this kit, but couldn't quite make it work for me - I will certainly use the sheets on other models though.  I do like the effect oil paint brings, including on the propeller which was hand painted using Bob's new strippers as masking.  The Bavarian decals don't precisely meet so there's a bit of touch up here and there, and a few wrinkles hidden by the photography ;)

Other additions include Taurus sparks, plug cables, and of course rigging.  The rigging was not too taxing, the layout of the cables was easy to follow.  I made eyelets and turnbuckles, although there isn't as much flexibility in the turnbuckle attachments as I had hoped for. 

As with all WNW models, tolerances are very tight.  I was careful with the painting of the interior and cockpit frame etc so that there would be no fit issues, but I neglected to be so careful with the wing strut locating holes.  This meant that the strut ends themselves needed thinning to fit.  I found the struts quite weak, but that was necessary due to scale thickness.  I broke some of them whilst fitting, but unlike on previous models my repairs went OK, ie not too many unsightly glue blobs.

I was quite pleased with the wing painting and rib shading.  I would possibly have liked to tone down the shading with a thin coat of the base colours, however the effect works.  I managed to repair a finger glue mark on the top wing too.  I mixed the violet and the Bavarian blue paints, and was satisfied with the results.  I have been unable to get decent lighting for the pics (it has been dull here for days!) as the model looks much better under natural light and without camera flash.

Ultimately I know where and how I could have taken more care with the model.  However I gave myself a timescale of finishing this kit before my partner's father leaves for home in Germany - he flies tonight - an that included fitting in christmas etc!

Next up for WWI is the WNW Sopwith Tripe, probably "Black Sheep" using Pheon decals and some extra PE.  I have a few other non-WWi subjects ongoing so time will tell what happens next.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Re: WNW Albatros DVa Jasta 76b Karl Hopf
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 01:12:37 AM »
Lovely work you've done with it, Ian! Really a standout scheme!

Lindsay

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:17:17 AM »
An absolute gem, Ian! Your wooden effects are extremely well done and matching
the Bavarian blue pretty much right on the money.  Super job all around, my friend,
and I look forward to the start of the Tripe.  Well done!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 03:13:13 AM »
    Beautiful Ian, truly a magnificent presentation and indicative of your considerable skills. The colour scheme is a real standout and you've captured it beautifully, and the woodwork................!
    Congratulations on a superbly finished Model and one to be very proud of. Looking forward to your Tripe.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:38:31 AM »
Hello Ian,

If there is one word for your build : gorgeous!!! A real masterpiece in all his aspects. Many congratulations.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Zabu

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 04:45:43 AM »
Great build from you Ian. The scheme it's spectacular. Congrats.

Cheers

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 05:08:12 AM »
Brilliant piece of modelling - superb finish and a really interesting colour scheme. The wood effect is really realistic - just wish I could get that effect on my models.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 06:25:39 AM »
Good to see my 'Strippers ©' put to good use, Ian!

Lovely looking bird and one you should be proud to have sitting on any shelf.
Thanks for sharing.

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 07:30:59 AM »
What a beautiful Alby Ian!  Wonderful scheme, very well-executed.  I love your wood-grain with oils, and will use your build as a future guide for that technique.  :)  Very well done!

Regards,

Bob

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 08:38:25 AM »
Lovely. Fine finish, striking scheme. Congratulations!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »
Oh my, that is pretty.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »
Ian,
Can't add much that hasn't already been said. I do Love your very subtle wood grain! The decal work, matching of the blue etc, is all OUTSTANDING! You should be very happy and proud of the results!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 06:11:35 PM »
I can add nothing new to the compliments above. It's wonderful.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »
I concur with all the other comments - it came together very nicely and the wood grain looks excellent.  Another beaut Albie....

FF

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »
Very pretty indeed. Well done.