Author Topic: 1/32 Encore Se5a  (Read 4173 times)

Offline compressor man

1/32 Encore Se5a
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:24:03 AM »
Hi all, this will be my first 'under construction' model here. In fact, it will be my first biplane period. I hope that it will turn out acceptable to all here because  somuch of the work on this site is of such stunning quality.

On to the build...

I have finished the engine with the exception of a little more weathering and oil stains. You may take exception with the sparkplug wires not running in the brass tubing that they so often do in pics of the actual engines. There are 2 reasons for their lack, the first is that I did not have any :)  The second is that I actually found a pic of one of these engines with the plug wires running loose. Whether this is right or not I do not know but I use this as my excuse, haha.

Chris

Offline compressor man

Re: 1/32 Encore Se5a
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:25:08 AM »
A couple more pics

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:53:45 PM »
I am Impressed with your start on this one! Beautiful work on the engine and I "Buy" your reasoning on the wires! I have this kit pretty high up on my to build list so am looking forward to the rest of your thread!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »
nice job on the engine. i have this kit and the wnw kit. the wnw kit is definately designed better with the builder in mind. but the encore kit is definately buildable. theres a ton of photoetch details to add which help to accent the roden kit. and imho the wing pulleys cast in resin look nicer than the ones molded into the wnw wings. problem is you have to cut triangular holes in the wing and install them with ca glue then backfill with putty and sand. when i did it i realised too late tht i had obliterated some of the wing rib detail doing this. so after the fact i added evergreen strip to reinstate this detail. if i had it to do over i would 1. be more careful during this operation by taping off areas that way sanding wont reach them and also i would use the hgw rib tape decal strips which also add nice stitching detail. or else archer transfers makes some rib tapes with imbedded detail. all in all the fuselage design of the encore is a bit more fiddly but then isnt that what roden is known for. cheers and good luck . cant wait to see what someone else does with this kit.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 06:53:47 PM »
Great start, Chris.  The engine really looks the business.  Very
nicely done.  I look forward to the rest of the build.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:25:02 AM »
  Chris,
Excellent first progress my friend. Your additional details add to the Hisso really make it stand out. Keep up the great works.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline compressor man

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 04:21:22 AM »
and imho the wing pulleys cast in resin look nicer than the ones molded into the wnw wings. problem is you have to cut triangular holes in the wing and install them with ca glue then backfill with putty and sand. when i did it i realised too late tht i had obliterated some of the wing rib detail doing this.

I have already installed the resin pulley inserts in the bottom wing. It is a fair amount of work and I agree with you in that the wing detail can be EASILY damaged. I am having a little trouble in filling the last troublesome gaps between the wing and the insert. I am going to make a couple of miniature putty knives that should make this and jobs like it a lot easier.

Thanks everyone else for your positive encouragement. Here is the finished instrument board. The kit includes loads and loads of beautiful photo etch including these great looking gauges....which I am going to almost completely hide by using the 'McCudden' type cockpit. I wanted to use the 'normal' cockpit but the resin part ended up with a pretty serious crack after cutting it off of its stub. It was very, very thin.

Chris

Offline mgunns

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 05:45:47 AM »
Hello Chris:

It looks like you are off to a great start with this kit.  I like your wood tone on the Instrument panel.  Engine detailing is first rate as well.  Looking forward to seeing you progress through this kit.  I have built two of the WNW kits and will probably give this a go, but.......................I like the red one though!   
Best

mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 12:57:39 PM »
Nice panel! Again I am following your build closely for Ideas for mine!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 01:17:03 PM »
yes those gauges are another thing thats nicer than the wnw kit. the only deficiency is the fuel selector valve assembly thingy, its that thing that looks like a cross on the bottom left corner of the roden control panel. the wnw one is better but still needs a bit of finesse. check it out.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/flying-se5a

Offline compressor man

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 12:16:36 AM »
A small update, here is the seat with seatbelts installed. I am currently working on the fuselage. Anyone who is familiar with this kit knows that the fuselage sides are flat, as though the fabric sides are tightly drawn. Alternatively the WNW kit is VERY wrinkled. I am wondering about adding a few wrinkles with some epoxy putty. I have seen pics of actual planes both ways and would like to hear some opinions on whether or not to take the plunge so to speak.

Chris

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 12:34:29 AM »
Hello Chris,

Wonderful instrument panel. Details are magnificent. Excellent work on the engine and the  interior with a marvellous seat looks great.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »
Excellent job on the engine and instrument panel, seat belts look great as well. As far as extra wrinkles are concerned it is an option entirely up to you, I have seen photos of both smooth and very wrinkled aircraft and both are appropriate. I built my SE with the wrinkles that were supplied on the fuselage and I was quite happy with the way it looks, which ever way you go it will be fine and I'm sure we are going to see an outstanding result.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline compressor man

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 07:22:10 AM »
Thank you everyone for the encouraging feedback. I am still torn about the wrinkle issue. At first I was sure that I was going to do it but then I momentarily forgot about it and glued the bottom wing on. It could still be done but it will be a little harder now working around that wing. Perhaps I will try one side and if it does not turn out well I will just be sure and take the photos of the good side. HaHa :)

Chris

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 11:59:12 AM »
Excellent work, Chris.  I particularly like the way you've done the instrument panel.  Will you be able to include photo's of the pulley inserts?

Cheers.

Dal.