Author Topic: what fishing line to use for rigging  (Read 8469 times)

Offline Jim

what fishing line to use for rigging
« on: May 09, 2012, 07:33:08 PM »
Just wondering what fishing line to use for getting the diameter of the rigging to scale. I believe I read somewhere (probably on Des's rigging basics webpage) that the line should be around 0.12mm in diameter, but since fishing line is measured in breaking strength, not diameter, can anyone suggest what strength line to use?

Thanks in advance

Jim
Woof!

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Re: what fishing line to use for rigging
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »
Hi Jim, I use Maxima Chameleon 2lb (0.12mm) fishing line for my 1/32 models.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Jim52

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:40 PM »
Jim,
      Maybe this chart will help you out a bit. At least it should give you a
place to start according to the scale you are working with.

Jim

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:29:37 PM by Jim52 »

Offline gcn

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
As with Pete I use 2lb fishing line for my 1/32 builds. Saying that the last couple have been done with knit in elastic

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
2lb maxima
 ;) ;) ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 11:53:34 PM »
O.K., since I make my Living at Flyfishing (hence my moniker is "flyjunkie") I will explain some basics of Tippet/Leader nomenclature..

Monofilament & Fluorocarbon Tippet is measured not only in breaking strength but diameter. the Diameters are given soo that Anglers who build their own tapered leaders can match diameters closely as they build their leaders. all top quality spools of tippet/leader material will contain both breaking strength and Diameter measurements on the label.
There is not, unfortunately, any standardization of Diameter verses Breaking strength.. in fact as the technology improves in exuding Mono or Fluorocarbon. we've seen a reduction in Diameter verses breaking strength.

Monofilament breaks down / rots at a quicker rate then fluorocarbon does.. average "shelf Life" is  11/2 ~ 2 years from date of purchase.. this Breaking down / rotting is the result of exposure to UV rays, oxygen, gasoline, dirt, etc... rotten Monofilament looks Flat, Opaque, remains coiled and feels dry and rough, it also snaps with little or no pressure. Fluorocarbon breaks down/rots a much slower rate.. lasting up to 10 years..
Fluorocarbon also will be of a thinner diameter per breaking strength then Monofilament...
Also, the stated breaking strength / Pound test is just a  estimate, often lower quality lines break at less then stated pound test and quality lines often break at a higher then stated pound test. Exception is when the line is stated as meeting IGFA standards.. the I.G.F.A. is the International Gamefish Fishing Association. they keep the World records of largest Fish caught, Line class records as well.. their rules state that a Line in a particular Line class must actually break at the stated amount.. soo any line that claims it is IGFA certified will break at the stated pound test breaking strength, not below and not above the stated breaking strength..

don't know if any of this is helpful to Model building, but I think it might be.... ;)

DEAN ~~~ 8)
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 08:37:29 AM »
You sent me scurrying down to a tackle box that I haven't used since 1994 when our cottage was sold. I checked some spools of mono and it all seems to be as strong as the day I put it away. Is that because it's stored in a dark, cool basement?

If the mono is painted, such as the rigging on my models, will that inhibit rot?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Flyjunkie

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »
You sent me scurrying down to a tackle box that I haven't used since 1994 when our cottage was sold. I checked some spools of mono and it all seems to be as strong as the day I put it away. Is that because it's stored in a dark, cool basement?

If the mono is painted, such as the rigging on my models, will that inhibit rot?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, since we store our Models inside, the breakdown /Rot aspect is probably reduced.. What Really Destroys Monofilament is UV Rays and direct or defused Sunlight.. Storing Mono in a dark Cool basement will certainly extend the life of the Mono. as long as that stored Mono is not Opague/Milky in color or any of the other tell tale signs, you should be OK..  ;)

I think a thin coat of paint will certain slow down the break down /rot aspect...

I am certain that the Mono we use for Riggin will last a great deal longer then when i use it for fishing..... :)

DEAN ~~~ 8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:29:28 PM by Flyjunkie »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 12:27:14 PM »
Now  theres some serious science going on here......

Steve

Offline Flyjunkie

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »
Now  theres some serious science going on here......

Steve

Maybe Steve.. but also could just be that I've spent well over 40 years of my 51 years on this Planet fishing as often as I possible can.. One tends to learn some stuff along the way...  ;)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »
There are some very curios facts here. I don't want to start a war here and I fully believe what you are saying about the break down rate of monofilament, but what confuses me is the fact that my father was a professional fisherman, he had trawlers and has been hand fishing for his whole life, he is still fishing today at 89 years of age so his fishing experience is well over 75 years. Now, what confuses me is my dad is still using fishing line which is over 50 years old and is as good today as the day he purchased it, I don't know if there was a diffenece in the line back then compared to today. I also have some models I built well over 45 years ago where I used mono as rigging, (I stole a bit of my dad's line) it is still taut and the same colour as back then, maybe the modern monofilament lines are not as good as the old stuff, just a thought.

Des.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:11:33 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Flyjunkie

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
There are some very curios facts here. I don't want to start a war here and I fully believe what you are saying about the break down rate of monofilament, but what confuses me is the fact that my father was a professional fisherman, he had trawlers and has been hand fishing for his whole life, he is still fishing today at 89 years of age so his fishing experience is well over 75 years. Now, what confuses me is my dad is still using fishing line which is over 50 years old and is as good today as the day he purchased it, I don't know if there was a diffenece in the line back then compared to today. I also have some models I built well over 45 years ago where I used mono as rigging, (I stole a bit of my dad's line) it is still taut and the same colour as back then, maybe the modern monofilament lines are not as good as the old stuff, just a thought.
Another thought which may need to be considered, does painting the mono extend the life?

Des.

No war Des.. I just understand Mono from my Flyfishing.. perhaps the line your Father is using is Commercial fishing grade??? is it Mono or is it Braid??? I Just understand Mono from my experience and that of alot of other Flyfishers and Conventional/ Spinning / Casting Anglers : Mono breaks down/ rots from exposure to Sunlight and UV rays... we usually inspect our Mono leaders and tippet spools and find, on average that around 2 years or slightly less it starts to suffer .. sometimes it will last longer and can if it's kept out of sunlight for extended periods of time  So your Models of 45 years ago , their Rigging can remain in great shape...
 Fishing Mono, that you buy in a tackle shop, if exposed to sunlight, UV Rays and other items I mentioned will not last for a long time.. Which explains the appeal of fishing with Fluorocarbon nowadays.. the stuff lasts a long time, so while one pays double the amount one pays for Mono, you actually are saving money because of the Life of Fluorocarbon...

I'd hazard a guess that the Line Your father uses for Commercial Fishing is of a different chemical make up then Sportfishing Mono.... a Co Polymer perhaps....

No worries Des, no worries at all.... ;D

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 11:58:02 PM »
So part two of the question is -Does the fluorocarbon have the same look,diameter and handling qualities when it comes to rigging aircraft?

Steve

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:12:55 AM »
When you talk about the qualities of Monofilament and the fact that it breaks down under UV and sunlight, is this the fact that it is outdoors?  And would the life of the Monofilament on models that are kept indoors be extended as they are out of the direct source of UV rays, because even if you work in an office behind glass in direct sunlight you don't get a suntan.  Just a thought.

Cheers

Pete

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »
I work in a tower with 360 degrees of windows and Im still a pasty white guy.....

steve