Author Topic: what fishing line to use for rigging  (Read 8089 times)

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
Re: what fishing line to use for rigging
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 01:28:06 AM »
Yes, the break down of Monofilament from UV light rays and Sunlight is because it's Outdoors. If the Mono is kept indoors it's "self life" will be considerably longer.. Even in a Building with skylights and plenty of windows, the Monofilament will last a Great deal longer.
 Even if the glass is not listed as UV protective, the glass still defuses UV light rays a small percentage.. many modern Office buildings have UV protection windows installed - and short of asking about this, One would never notice..
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:30:55 AM by Flyjunkie »
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 09:33:53 AM »
So part two of the question is -Does the fluorocarbon have the same look,diameter and handling qualities when it comes to rigging aircraft?

Steve

Steve,

I used 2 lb test flourocarbon for my first rigging job as it was the only 2 lb test mono I could find. While it's not as limp as Maxima Chameleon, it worked quite well for me but does tend to coil much more than Maxima. Once I tried Maxima, I was sold on it. Unfortunately, I can't find it in 2 lb test locally in the Oshawa area so I order mine from Cabela's in the U.S.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Maxima-Chameleon-One-Shot-Spool/702118.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmaxima%2Bchameleon%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=maxima+chameleon&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I haven't made it up to BassPro in north Toronto but if any place has 2 lb Maxima here in Ontario, that should be the place. Ordering from BassPro out of the U.S. is ridiculously expensive when it comes to their shipping charges.

I'll check both the flourocarbon and Maxima on my digital caliper to see what their respective diameters are.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »
I drive past Bass Pro every day on my way to work. I will check for it.

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 01:00:33 AM »
I drive past Bass Pro every day on my way to work. I will check for it.

Steve

I'll be interested to hear if they stock it.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 01:05:50 AM »
http://www.basspro.com/Maxima-Line-Maxi-Spool/product/2347/147602

Looks like Bass Pro does stock the Maxima Chameleon...
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 02:07:47 AM »
Thanks Fly J (Hey youre a CA guy - you get Fly J),
Chris, I will pick some up tomorrow morning on the way home from work if its in stock. Its on me so long as you use it on the Se5a - there gauntlet thrown down!!!!

Steve

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 07:02:24 AM »
Thanks Fly J (Hey youre a CA guy - you get Fly J),
Chris, I will pick some up tomorrow morning on the way home from work if its in stock. Its on me so long as you use it on the Se5a - there gauntlet thrown down!!!!

Steve

Thanks for the offer Steve but save your cash as I have three spools on hand now which will last me a long time at my building speed. Here's hoping they have it for you!

Cheers,

Chris

http://www.basspro.com/Maxima-Line-Maxi-Spool/product/2347/147602

Looks like Bass Pro does stock the Maxima Chameleon...

They have it for on-line sale but to ship it to Canada costs a fortune as their shipping charges are outrageous. Cabela's on the other hand, are reasonable.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 08:16:20 AM »
No prob.