Author Topic: A nice surprise  (Read 3962 times)

Offline stefanbuss

A nice surprise
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »
Did anyone bet on a DH9 to be released now? I am really surprised.

Well done, WNW!

Stefan

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
Re: A nice surprise
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
Nice but I really don't understand WNW's policy when they release a surprise kit after the last date for shipping to Europe has passed. Actually it really irks me and if the quality of their products wasn't so high I'd consider not buying any more of their fantastic releases.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 06:18:37 PM »
You may find it reaches you before Christmas, NZ Post just don't offer any assurance that it will.
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »
Last year I ordered Hannover on Nov. 30th. It was dispatched on Dec. 5th and made it to Poland just on time. I wonder how will it be this year? Much will depend on the speed of WNW processing orders...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:03:51 PM »
WNW offer a "guaranteed" delivery cut off date which is helpful and more then fair IMHO. As Jamo points out orders later then the date still may arrive prior to the Holiday. Now, where's my bloody Camel?!!? :(
Cheers,
Lance ;)

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 03:31:51 PM »
gotta say thats purdy freakin cool. way back when wnw teased us with upcoming photos of the kits not yet released i remember thinking "oh they're doing a dh-4" as to me a dh-9a looks alot like. i never did buy a dh-9a not a really nice looking plane imho but a brit dh-9 thats the stuff. one of my favorite brit 2 seaters along with the brisfit, re8 and be2e. i will buy one of these babies. i looked at the instructions. it looks like they upgraded their vickers gun to make it more detailed as well. nice stuff.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
I ordered my kit yesterday and received shipping notice today, so it appears that the Wingnuts warehouse staff are working very quickly to get orders out, you guys in Europe might be lucky if you get your orders in real quick.

Scott, I built the "other" DH.9 when it was first released and thoroughly enjoyed the build, I am presuming that the new DH.9 will be as good or even better to build, I like the shape of the nose on the AMC DH.9.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
Nice but I really don't understand WNW's policy when they release a surprise kit after the last date for shipping to Europe has passed. Actually it really irks me and if the quality of their products wasn't so high I'd consider not buying any more of their fantastic releases.

Keith
Hi Keith
I don't think the release date is a policy. WNW have released the kit as soon as they could, I am sure it has not been sitting in their warehouse 'conditioning' specially to miss the shipping cutoffs. They got some airfreighted from the factory in Asia so that some folk at least would have one in their stocking. Would you prefer that WNW waited until later in January?
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
I ordered my kit yesterday and received shipping notice today, so it appears that the Wingnuts warehouse staff are working very quickly to get orders out, you guys in Europe might be lucky if you get your orders in real quick.

Des.

I report the same. Got the "Order shipped" notice today. There is a real chance to see DH.9 under the Christmas tree!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »
Mine shipped yesterday evening as well, so they're on it. :D

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »
i wonder......when wnw were new and they had released just the 4 originals and they really had us chomping at the bit. every time they would release a new kit we would all snap them up quick as possible. i wonder if now that there are so many out and many of us have several in the stash,do they still get the sales that they used to? i hope so cuz i am hopeing for this line to continue for years into the future. at least thru the centennial of the treaty of versailles . let us hope.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 01:29:01 AM »
i wonder......when wnw were new and they had released just the 4 originals and they really had us chomping at the bit. every time they would release a new kit we would all snap them up quick as possible. i wonder if now that there are so many out and many of us have several in the stash,do they still get the sales that they used to? i hope so cuz i am hopeing for this line to continue for years into the future. at least thru the centennial of the treaty of versailles . let us hope.

I would think their sales are doing very well from the comments here. I'll bet I'm not the only one with duplicates in the stash "just in case" or for that special future Build. For example I'll be ordering another DV shortly if one doesn't appear under the Christmas Tree and I have two DVa's in the stash along with a DV in the display case. Their Kits are just that good and like Albatros 1234 my little Hobby World would suffer greatly if they disappeared.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline petrov27

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 01:58:29 AM »
Kindof hard to say how good their sales are - probably good enough?

I personally didn't think them releasing all the different Fokker E kits would sell well but when I mentioned that on another thread I was surprised at how many folks responded that they bought all of the different versions?

I did pick up some dupes of my favorites last year right prior to the price increase and there are a few more I want to do that on "just in case" - heck maybe the next Hobbit film bombs and Jackson has to liquidate everything lol
-Patrick

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »
I have order all the kits that came out and i love evry singel one off them i think the wnw is doing this not to make lots off money they just love the aircraft and this can be seen in evry kit they  bring out i think peter jackson doesnt need hour money to make living.
I think you all would be supprised of how manny collectors there are around the world who dont post on forums but just build kits like this.

Al i can say is that they are doing a great job and iam happy with what ever they come up with.  The harder to make it the beter and if they eventualy stop ill scratch build the planes i want.

Ron

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 10:36:18 AM »
Thousands upon thousands of WnW kits have been sold and will never get built, many people just like to collect them, then as Ron wrote, heaps of people are building the kits but will never show them on a forum, a lot of people do not like forums, then there are the people like us, we like not only to build the kits but to display them as well, we like the interaction with fellow modelers.

Wingnuts are a very secretive company and will not divulge any sales figures (just like other manufacturers) but I presume they are doing quite well considering that 1:32 scale WW1 model aircraft kits are a very very small niche market, as Ron wrote, they do it for the love of it not to make huge profits, lets hope that they continue for many years to come.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com