Author Topic: A nice surprise  (Read 3961 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: A nice surprise
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 05:04:33 AM »
Like many on this Forum:

I have duplicates if not triplicates (Fokker DVII) of kits.  I don't know if I will live long enough to build them all, but; they are there none the less.  Maybe once I retire I will be more prolific at model building, as Harley riding becomes less enjoyable due to the multitude of Moon calves in the Great Upper Midwest.  When I go to my model club meetings I and one other person are the only ones that bring completed WNW or 1/32nd WWI kits to display.  There are at least two others who have built one, one was on display, but that is it.  Like Des, I believe there are many who buy and collect and many who build and won't post on a forum.  It does take time to build a section, take a picture, post it and put up a build log.  I find them most enjoyable and informative.  I think WNW is doing pretty good.  They have a great staff, it doesn't appear that there is a large turnover, so they must pay well, offer a decent benefit package, and treat the employees well as well.  Hopefully the company will continue to produce these kit at the rate they are.  If WNW does ever go belly up, I am sure that some outfit will buy the molds and distribute them as well, however not as dedicated as WNW does.  I continue to support WNW with the purchase of kits and decals to include the latest and greatest the AMC DH9, if nothing else it certainly is an interesting looking airplane.  I join in with Lance Carroll:  "Where is the Bloody Camel"?

Best
Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rolanddvi

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 11:48:23 AM »
Got my order shipped e-mail today. Should arrive in Columbus, Ohio by Christmas. I love opening the box of a new WNW kit. It's a very satisfying feeling and makes think that everything must be right in the world!!

rolanddvi

Offline mgunns

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »
Got my order shipped e-mail today. Should arrive in Columbus, Ohio by Christmas. I love opening the box of a new WNW kit. It's a very satisfying feeling and makes think that everything must be right in the world!!

rolanddvi

I know the feeling and share your sentiment.   ;)
Mark

mike in calif

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 02:29:40 AM »
One thing I have noticed is that when I go to model shows/contests, I do not find people selling WNW kits. I did once a few years ago, the seller took 5$ off each kit, and they sold out quickly. I see also that they are not often listed on traders boards. I only hit a couple of sites so my data may be skewed, but that is what I see.

Offline cgandiaga

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 03:32:37 AM »

rolanddvi

I know the feeling and share your sentiment.   ;)

Mine's probably on the Air New Zealand flight due to arrive at LAX in an hour..  Then we'll see how long USPS holds it up in Customs...

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 03:35:25 AM »
I am a " New Wingnut "  ;)..........and even I ended up with three!! -- ( haven't got them yet, so I'm looking forward to the "opening" experience ). "Santa" was good to me.............................
I'm a little apprehensive about building them, but what with all the help here, and the quality of "WnW", I can't go wrong.
Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline cgandiaga

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 04:33:11 AM »
I am a " New Wingnut "  ;)..........and even I ended up with three!! -- ( haven't got them yet, so I'm looking forward to the "opening" experience ). "Santa" was good to me.............................
I'm a little apprehensive about building them, but what with all the help here, and the quality of "WnW", I can't go wrong.
Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Don't be apprehensive, they ARE that good.  Follow the instructions and you will be juuust fine.  Don't sweat the rigging.  Des has a technique that is just superb on the website part of this (just click on the banner at the top).  Even I can make them look good..

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
[

Wingnuts are a very secretive company and will not divulge any sales figures (just like other manufacturers) but I presume they are doing quite well considering that 1:32 scale WW1 model aircraft kits are a very very small niche market, as Ron wrote, they do it for the love of it not to make huge profits, lets hope that they continue for many years to come.

Des.
[/quote]

As long as  Sir PJ is around I think we will.
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 12:30:21 PM »
Jim J. -- "olfogey"
Hello Jim:

Now you are going to have to rig them.  If you build them, you must rig them.   ;) Seriously, as others have stated, it isn't that bad.  I did the NINAK a few years ago, and it went rather smoothly, just need a plan and the proper equipment.  Get a bunch of Eyelets and tubes from Bob Von Buckle, who is prominent on this forum, and you are set.  There are other vendors on this forum who offer other rigging related items as well that you may want to scope out.  Of course, an optivisor is almost a must, but; well worth the investment.  I am looking forward to seeing how you proceed and we are all here to offer assistance and encouragement.

Best

Mark
Mark

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 07:45:19 AM »
Jim J. -- "olfogey"
Hello Jim:

Now you are going to have to rig them.  If you build them, you must rig them.   ;) Seriously, as others have stated, it isn't that bad.  I did the NINAK a few years ago, and it went rather smoothly, just need a plan and the proper equipment.  Get a bunch of Eyelets and tubes from Bob Von Buckle, who is prominent on this forum, and you are set.  There are other vendors on this forum who offer other rigging related items as well that you may want to scope out.  Of course, an optivisor is almost a must, but; well worth the investment.  I am looking forward to seeing how you proceed and we are all here to offer assistance and encouragement.

Best

Mark

Took that as good advice............got my order in to "Bob's Buckles" already  ;D He was GREAT with advice by the way.........
Jim J. -- "olfogey"