Author Topic: WNW Fokker D.VII (OAW), "Seven Swabians", Jasta 65, Wilhelm Scheutzel  (Read 5018 times)

Offline rhallinger

Hello all!  This build was inspired by seeing a reproduction Fokker D.VII in this scheme at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in NY in September:

The decals are from the WNW Fighting Fokkers part 4 sheet.  I am not doing a full build log because others have already done so for this kit, and I'm in a bit of a hurry since my mother-in-law will arrive on Dec. 8th and take over my modeling room for a month. :(  Anyway, here is where things stand today:

The lozenge is Wood & Wire 4-color white-backed, which went on over beige gloss paint without problem.  I really like the look.

The kit has gone together well generally, but I had some problems with getting the engine bearers aligned and installed properly.  Probably just ham-fisted modeling.  I should have her together in about a week or so.

Regards,

Bob

Offline IFF1418

Re: WNW Fokker D.VII (OAW), "Seven Swabians", Jasta 65, Wilhelm Scheutzel
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »
Hello Bob,

Now that is really a beautifull plane! Your decals are magnificent as are your painting and lozenge. Many congratulations. You must love your mother-in-law very much, giving up your workshop for a month!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 05:16:27 PM »
Cracking Bob!

I'm very impressed with the lozenge.. It's been applied beautifully - I know it's not as easy as it looks! Is that a cookie cut one?

I had the same issues with the front end - I think it's just very fiddly and easy to get wrong..

Really, really nice job.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »
Hi Bob

This is turning out to be a real show-stopper and the finish you are achieving is so convincing. Wow! I wouldn't be surprised if you were offered the freedom of Swabia for this one.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:35:32 PM »
Beautiful job on the D.VII Bob!  The lozenge looks first-class.  Did the blue
rib-tapes come with the W&W Lozenge?  They look really good over the
beige paint.  You really have a stunner there.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:25:54 PM »
Thanks for your kind comments all.  The lozenge is the W&W cookie-cutter sheet for the Fokker D.VII (OAW) 4-color pattern, hence the blue rib tapes which come already printed on (a real time-saver!).  Lozenge for the lazy (or time-starved)!  I really like the cookie cutter approach.   

I really don't have much choice about a hiatus from the modeling room for the holidays, as I am using my adult daughter's old bedroom, and it's the guest room when we have visitors.  I will use the time off to research and plan my next build (and perhaps start some preliminary work off-bench.  ;).  Next up will be a Sopwith Camel F.1 in the Belgian markings of Jan Olieslager, a Belgian ace.  I plan to use an old Hobbycraft kit and Spada decals, and follow Des's build log on the main site, but you never know . . . a brief pause in December might yield a better kit option . . .   ;D  We'll see.

In the meantime, I think this one will be finished before Thanksgiving Day.  I'm enjoying it!

Cheers,

Bob     

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:26:59 AM »
Stunning work, Bob!  Your decal application is flawless as is your paint work.  What paints did you use?  I love this scheme and just ordered the Eduard kit in 1/48 scale, so I'll be following this one closely.  Any chance of the Camel being usurped by the Salmson?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 08:53:34 AM »
Beautiful work Bob, and a very eye catching scheme. The W&W Lozenge is spectacular, I looking forward to using it very soon.
And I gotta say, you are the perfect Son in Law...........................Mom gets your model room for a whole month?!!?! You should be virtually flame proof with the Missus for that sort of support!
Looking forward to seeing this one completed, it's going to be magnificent.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »
Bob,
Lovely work on your DVII! The scheme is excellent and the Wood and Wire decals look great! Beautiful application of all markings!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Zabu

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 02:23:34 PM »
This scheme it's awesome!

Your job with the decals is exemplary. It will be a fantastic looking model.

Cheers

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »
You have achieved an excellent result so far Bob, those decals look fantastic and the lozenge went on very well. I hope you manage to get it finished before the MIL turns up.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Graham t

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 05:52:18 AM »
Love the "Seven Swaibians" scheme & must pick up the OAW version along with the required decals - maybe after Christmas!

Offline mgunns

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 04:53:10 AM »
Hello Bob:

I have been tempted to do this scheme.  Glad to see you doing it.  I like the decals.  I used the W&W bolts of lozenge on my LVG, I like the look and the white backed looks every bit as good.  They also look to be a good fit.  I am in the throes of my DVIIF.  I will post pics of the finished model, no build log for the same reasons as you.  Yes, the engine formers can be fiddley.  It really looks the business Bob.  Looking forward to more.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 05:40:40 AM »
Looking great, Bob  ;)

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline drdave

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 05:44:42 AM »
Superb. I really fancy this scheme. I might have to order a Fokker and another Snipe. Oh and another DV....