Author Topic: WNW Albatros DVa Jasta 76b Karl Hopf  (Read 16403 times)

Offline Zabu

Re: WNW Albatros DVa Jasta 76b Karl Hopf
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
Looking very nice indeed. It's quite na remarcable scheme.

Cheers

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »
Thank you, certainly is colourful...

Here are some of the parts prepared this week.  For the tail surfaces, I sprayed the base white coat, then masked off the stripe areas and coated in the blue mix - this was done by hand in several coats then a final coat applied with a polishing cloth much like when polishing shoes.  I find that works quite well for surfaces, as you get a smooth satin finish and raised areas are a little more glossy, resulting in a slightly varied tone throughout.  Not sure if that shows up here but I think it works.

The cowlings will get a shot of klear - these and the prop spinner are also dry brushed with the brush I use for polishing up Mr Metal - just adds a slight metallic sheen to the raised edges etc.  I don't think that is visible on this pic.

I had to do the wheels twice - having painted the hub covers blue, I messed up the tyres.  No matter how careful I was with letting the thin grey paint flow up to the rim, some overlapped and it looked messy.  So I stripped the lot, repainted the blue and used my circle cutter to make a mask from tape before spraying the grey tyre colour.  This works ok, but is never perfect as the inner wheel cover is slightly conical so a flat mask will not sit perfectly.  Anyway, the result is much better than my first go, why I didn't do that initially I just don't know!

Fuselage is now ready for woodgrain oils, but I ran out of time last night.

Offline xmald

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »
I love the scheme you have chosen!!! She`s going to be a beauty Ian!!
Best regards
Filip

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 08:51:01 PM »
Beautiful work Ian!  I have this sheet too and want to do this bird eventually. :D 

I think you've nailed the blue--it really looks good. ;D  Sorry for your hiccups with the wheels, but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has that problem. ;)  I always feel a little heartburn when I get to that part, and the circle masking is just such a pain to deal with as you've noted.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one all assembled.  Very well done!

Regards,

Bob

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »
Thanks Bob.

Some while ago (2 years plus) I emailed WNW and suggested they supply the wheel components as separate tyres and covers for front and back.  I see from newer kits (in my stash, Eindekkers, can't be sure of the others...) that this is now happening.  Painting the parts separately gives a much neater finish, but could be argued it takes away some of the skills?

Also, having separate tyres on the sprue makes it easier to use the spoked wheels now available.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2013, 09:05:51 PM »
Looks like you have matched the blue, Ian.  Well done on that and your painting
in general. I am amazed that you can hand paint so flawlessly. Super work.  The
Alby is going to be beautiful when you are done.  I look forward to the next update.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
Cheers Ernie!

For painting, I prime with a rattle tin and then overpaint mostly with Revell Aqua.  I find that paint brand works very well both in an airbrush and particularly by hand, the latter always over a primer.  The paint is like melted chocolate to start with, and thins beautifully with a drop of water.  I have no affiliation with Revell but must give their paints a positive recommendation.

I recently started to use the polishing cloth technique on larger surfaces and found it works quite well.  Polishing in tiny amounts of the same colour smooths out almost all remaining visible brush strokes.  Only really works for individual components - I will try this on the wings too.

Like many, I can only airbrush outside - limited opportunities at this time of year in the UK where I can only spray on dry weekends in the daytime!

Offline gravos

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2013, 01:35:21 AM »
Hello, :)
Really beautiful, much prettier than mine, but this is my first flight of the first World War.
I saw the color more orange than I did fuselage, but the ribs are done, it will be for the next
Congratulations, I have a good example in front
@ +

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2013, 02:06:32 AM »
Thank you Gravos.

I need to paint woodgrain on the fuselage.  I will use oil paint for this.  There are many other Albatros DVa models on this forum to review, much better than mine!

Look here http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=640.0;topicseen for some examples.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2013, 05:18:10 AM »
Hi Ian

I really like how you have handled the blue (and much else besides) I may be a PC10/12 man,  but these darn DVa schemes can turn a person's head!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2013, 08:28:01 AM »
Looking spectacular Ian. I really like the blue you came up with, it's going to be a real eye catcher.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gravos

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2013, 03:47:01 PM »
Hello
Thank you for the link
The one I like is the DVs "LULU"
Oil Painting I know is nothing at all >:(
I never make new aircraft, but a condition of use
Thank you for the exchanges allow me to progress
@ +

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
Really Nice work Ian,

For the tyres have you ever tried Vallejo Dark Rubber?

It is water soluable and I use a small brush and capillary action to form the boundary between the tyre and the wheel hub cover.

You can then let it dry and fill in the rest of the tyre colour by painting up to the boundary in small stages....works a treat.

Looking forward to seeing your Albatros when it is complete.

Cheers,

D i D

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »
Really great work on the matching of the blue and masking! Looking forward to your continued progress!!
Your method of rubbing the final coat on is really intriguing. If I get brave I might give it a go someday!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
Cheers folks :) No Dave I have not tried that paint, often I just mix grey to taste, so to speak.

Worked on the wings this weekend whilst the fuselage oils are drying.  Having cut out the wings and sprayed a rattle tin primer, I looked to spray the undersides first.  However, for some reason I couldn't get the airbrushed paint to atomise properly.  I don't think the paint was too thin, nor was there a problem with pressure, but it was as if the paint was not tacky enough so it just puddled on the surface :(  So I stripped the puddles that hadn't even begun to dry (acrylic) and hand brushed/polished instead.  Finish was OK but not as smooth as I like.

The upper surfaces were treated to the same with light olive, then masked and brushed with the violet mix.  Had the airbrush been working I would have sprayed this too.  I wonder if it is anything to do with ambient temperature - I spray outside and it was about 6C?

Anyway, the polishing gave an almost glossy finish, and when the decals went on, sealed with Klear, the surfaces were far too glossy.  I used micro mask tape to keep the ribs glossy, then used Humbrol satin cote spray to dull down the surface.  Then I added rib shading by drybrushing pastels - I think this is a bit overdone, less is more perhaps?  Another blast of satincote before removing the masking leaves the wings done.

I dirtied up the wheels and tail surfaces with pastels and again sealed with satin cote spray.  This is going OK, but I really need to sort out the airbrush - the results would be so much better.  I have used the airbrush recently with normal results, so I am at a loss.

lower wings - upper and lower painted.

Cross decals applied.

Rib masking to maintain a glossy appearance where the "fabric stretches over the ribs.

Rib shading compared - you can see the difference between the glossy surface pre-shading and after with the satincote applied..

Shading on the horizontal tail surfaces and elevator.

Shading on wheels.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:11:41 PM by Ian from Doncaster »