Author Topic: WNW Albatros DVa Jasta 76b Karl Hopf  (Read 15811 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

WNW Albatros DVa Jasta 76b Karl Hopf
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:21:39 AM »
Finally tonight I got back to WWI modelling, having completed the Airfix Bentley - what a pig of a disappointing kit that was!

Anyway, the Albie was a gift from my partner's father, and I bought the "Bavarians" decals in order to make the Karl Hopf Jasta 76b version.  Two reasons, one, no lozenge!  Secondly, my partner herself is from Wurzburg, Karl Hopf's home town, so this was a no brainer really.

I started by cutting out the fuselage halves and inner frames.  I did this so that I could dry assemble the parts and prime with a sand colour paint spray as a base for the wooden interior.  I used tiny spots of liquid mask as a temporary "glue" to hold the components together.  The result is I can see precisely where on the fuselage NOT to paint, so that I can avoid tolerance and fit issues later.

I also started on the seat, cut out, painted, varnished awaiting belts.  All this work in about 3 hours - far far quicker than the Bentley for a kit that cost less than half the price!

Offline RAGIII

Re: WNW Albatros DVa Jasta 76b Karl Hopf
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »
Ian, Looking good! That is a clever way to keep paint out of the slots for locating the formers!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
Ian, Looking good! That is a clever way to keep paint out of the slots for locating the formers!
RAGIII

I learned the hard way with previous kits especially the Pup.  The dry fitting was almost completely dry - I barely needed any liquid mask to hold the bits together.  I have some woodgrain decals for this kit somewhere (HGW I think) that I will need to find, they got put away some months ago...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
RAGIII
I must agree, Ian.  Brilliant idea.  And welcome back.  Sorry the Bentley was such a pig.  Still, I'll bet she's a silk purse now.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 06:18:26 PM »
Thanks Bud :) Bentley looks OK, from a distance.  For a UK£100 kit you'd have expected more than molded rubber straps with integrated buckles for the bonnet/hood restraining straps.  I scratched some thin fake leather strips and made crude buckles from plasticard and brass tube - looks better than the kit parts but don't examine too closely!  If I get time I'll upload some pics in the off-topic area.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »
Great start Ian, I bet this will be a great build.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »
Looking really good so far Ian, the liquid mask idea is brilliant and will save a lot of headaches later on. It sounds as if your Airfix Bentley is as bad as my Omega Mosca bis.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:45:14 AM »
Looking forward to following your build, Ian.  Thanks so much for the
tip using liquid mask. Brilliant!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 09:45:29 AM »
Thanks all.  I am looking forward to progressing this kit, one stage at a time.  This is what I really like about WWI kits, you can make a component or small assembly as complete in one session, such as the seat or propeller.

Tonight I made the propeller - cut out, sprayed the base sand colour, masked up the laminatons and coated in dark earth.  Then I smoothed off the painted surface with micromesh and coated with an oil paint mix.  Into the cupboard for a week before Klear coating.  The hub won't get a metal paint as it is to be covered by the spinner.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »
Beautiful work on the propeller Ian, Bob's "strippers" appear to have worked well with your masking.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

mike in calif

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »
Nice start, and I too like the "paint out of the formers" method. I'd almost guess that would work with the Pfalz also.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »
Hello Ian,

Very, very nice propeller. Unbelievable that this is handmade. Beautiful work!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 05:40:33 PM »
Crikey Ian!
Lovely looking prop  :o
Well done!

Von Buckle      ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 06:15:58 PM »
Thanks folks, the prop is the kit prop with 2 tone paint, and oils for wood grain.  The technique of masking by eye works OK, but if you look too close you'll see the laminations are not quite parallel and are slightly different from one blade to the other.  Still, I'm happy enough so far.  For a future kit I'll use one of Doug's (or the other company, can't recall the name just now) wooden ones.

Mike, I believe the dry assembly/prime method would work on many occasions.  Notably the WNW Pup/Triplane for the inner cockpit assembly as the fit and tolerances there are very tight.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 03:56:45 AM »
Beautiful finish on the prop, Ian!  Nicely done.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...