Author Topic: How To Modeling Books  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Nigel Goodson

How To Modeling Books
« on: November 07, 2013, 12:33:12 AM »
I was just wondering if there was a good how to book that details building WW1 aircraft . WNW apparently has one , but it's currently unavailable , sold out, and it's expensive. I really could use something that shows a step by step walk through, it would be of great help to me at this point. Any ideas, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
"One must first overcome the inner schweinehund"
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: How To Modeling Books
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
  Nigel,
These a couple of books from Ray Rimmel that may be what you're looking for.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Nigel Goodson

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys, I spent a bunch of time today looking for books on the web, and didn't see any of these titles anywhere! I guess you just have go to the pros for this kind of thing.....Thanks again lads.
Oh yeah, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place Des, ooops.My bad. :-\
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
Windsock Worldwide magazine has a long running series of articles titled Modeling Master class that has a lot of useful information and techniques. Each article focuses on specific areas of the building process, i.e., struts, wings, cockpits, rigging, etc.. Highly recommended. 

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
To the above I would add that you can learn quite a bit from Des's articles on this forums parent site, and by perusing the build logs here as well as the modeling hints topic. "Search" is your friend. ;)

Offline Nigel Goodson

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »
You guys are the best, all of your suggestion have been most helpful, thanks again for your replies, much appreciated !
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
Hello Nigel

Like others who have replied I would heartily recommend the Ray Rimmel and Windsock publications and this very forum and website - where else can you find such great advice freely given and detailed builds?

Something else you might like to consider if you want something in book form is the Air Modeller's Guide to Wingnut Wings Volume 1.

Produced by AFV modeller publications it cost me £19.50. It's a  full colour 112 page book organised around photo-builds of seven great models from the WnW range. They are: Hansa Brandenburg; SE5a; Roland D.IVa; RE8; Albatros DVa; Sopwith Pup; and Gotha G.IV.

Along the way there's lots of advice and I enjoyed the photographic coverage and text, although inevitably the volume from Datafile devoted solely to the Gotha G.IV is very much more comprehensive.

Best wishes
Nigel J.

Offline gcn

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 10:47:21 PM »

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/books/greatestguidebookreviewaj_1.htm

Whilst not WW1 specific there are a couple of biplane builds in there (not WNW), and there are plenty of tips within the WW1 builds that feed across very nicely

A lot of the builds in the Air Modeller book can be downloaded as individual PDF's from their website as they appeared in the magazine at the time, I d/l the LVG one and very good it was too.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
Really, when it comes down to it, the major outliers from modeling, say, jets or WWII aircraft come down to:

-- rigging(!)
-- fitting and alignment of multiple wings
-- achieving some material effects (notably woodgrain & CDL)
-- relative lack of authoritative references on most subjects

Dekenba

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 12:06:22 AM »
Take a look at Des's build logs on the main site. Utterly superb, wonderfully well photographed with hints and tips and easy to follow steps.

Des really should consider publishing them.

Offline Nigel Goodson

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 02:50:24 AM »
Very nice of you all to reply. I have been studying this site since I found it, and yes by God it's full of great tips, and tons of information but I do love a good  reference book .iThe  Wing Nuts book appears to be exactly what I'm looking for, (thanks Nige!) unfortunately it's sold out, , and I haven't been able to locate a used copy. If anyone knows how I can lay hands on one please give me a shout. Once again guys thanks for pointing me in the right direction , I really appreciate it...
Manfred Von Richthofen

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
Here you go Nigel, I have just the book for you, only problem though is it was printed before Wingnut Wings was born, before Roden, before Eduard, in fact before any of the model companies existed, it is a 1909 edition.  :) :) :)  sorry, just thought I would throw this in for a bit of fun.......

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
Here you go Nigel, I have just the book for you, only problem though is it was printed before Wingnut Wings was born, before Roden, before Eduard, in fact before any of the model companies existed, it is a 1909 edition.  :) :) :)  sorry, just thought I would throw this in for a bit of fun.......

Des.

...And before most of our modelling subjects were around, as well! ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 11:03:09 PM »
Hello Des:

I wonder how many folks actually made a steam locomotive?  Neat stuff though, fun to take a look back.

Mark

Des.

Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 11:28:39 PM »
I know of a "how to" book/magazine just published here in the UK.  It isn't WWI focused but is about modelling techniques.

Des, how can I provide details of this to the Forum whilst keeping within the rules?