Author Topic: Sopwith Type 806 Gunbus  (Read 6783 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Sopwith Type 806 Gunbus
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 05:16:28 AM »
Brilliant work, LM!  Incredible workmanship on an unusual and interesting subject.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 07:46:27 AM »
Thanks again to all of you for your compliments. Pushers really are not so difficult once a couple of problems have been solved, although each one has its own tricky part to get around - in this case it was the stagger of the struts, but in the end it was not nearly as difficult as I had imagined.

It's a surprisingly big beast isn't it?

The span of the model is approximately 8.5 inches (21 cm), compared with the FE 2 which is 7.75 inches (19.5 cm): it is why two sets of wings from other models have to be used because there are no kits available with wings of comparable span and chord. The Sopwith Gunbus will be the largest pusher model I will have made when it is finished - it will dwarf the FE 8! (5.25 inches - 17cm).

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 03:09:24 AM »
Evening All,
     I cut the undercarriage struts from card and shaped them to aerofoil section; the skids were from the same material. Small holes were drilled in the top of the skids where the struts fitted. I cut an axle from wire. I glued the axle to the skids and the cemented the struts into the tops of the skids. The struts angle inwards towards the nacelle, with the front ones vertical in relation to the skid and the rear ones angled forwards. While the struts were still soft I lowered the undercarriage unit so that the ends of the struts are inserted into the correct holes under the wings and nacelle. I could then adjust the struts and skids so that the struts are at the correct angles and the skids are parallel with the bottom of the fuselage. All of the struts and undercarriage units can now be painted and the rigging will follow.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:54:15 PM by lone modeller »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 07:30:49 AM »
She looks great with all the struts and the undercarriage on, starting to look the real deal now, very well done so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
  Lone Modeler,
Wow she's shaping up to outstanding old bus. Excellent struts and undercarriage my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »
Hello LM,

It's a beauty and an interesting model. Very very clean build and painting. Great work!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Zabu

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 07:02:11 AM »
It's coming along very nicely LM. The painting and scratched parts excels your skills.

Great work.

Cheers

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 07:18:36 AM »
Nice progress, LM.  She looks good with the struts in place.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »
Great looking model! She has certainly taken on a whole new look with the struts, wings, and gear in place! Very Neat and Clean, OUTSTANDING!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 05:28:40 AM »
Great looking model! She has certainly taken on a whole new look with the struts, wings, and gear in place! Very Neat and Clean, OUTSTANDING!
RAGIII

Dittos to my amigos comments !
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
 Evening All,
   I have finished the Gunbus at last - there were about 140 individual wires to be put on to this model - more than any other that I have made, and compared with just over 50 on the DH 4, so this took quite a time.  The holiday break also helped to slow things down. I used 44 swg rolled copper wire for the rigging as trying to drill holes and rig with thread would not have been practical for me. In addition there are control wires which would be very difficult to attach. The tail skid and wing skids (the latter made from 5 amp fuse wire) were added after the rigging was finished and the model was complete.

I have posted more pictures in the completed models section if anyone is interested.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:56:58 PM by lone modeller »

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2014, 11:32:36 PM »
Terrific LM! Well done. It's so nice to see one of the more rarely modelled aircraft done to such good effect.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 02:36:42 AM »
Congratulations, LM!  Brilliant scratchbuilding of an extraordinary subject.  Heading over to finished models to check it out.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2014, 07:57:46 AM »
Well done LM, I will now slip over to the completed models board and check out your finished model, it looks superb.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
Congratulations on finishing this one so well! I'll have to take a look at the rest of the pics...

Ian