Author Topic: first attempt WNW DH.2  (Read 4699 times)

Offline FIREFOX1

Re: first attempt WNW DH.2
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 04:50:40 AM »

I think this part is finished but I now need some help/ advise  please see next pic
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:01:10 AM by FIREFOX1 »
‘I hate to shoot a Hun down without him seeing me, for although this method is in accordance with my doctrine, it is against what little sporting instincts I have left.’ (James McCudden, VC, RFC, 1917).

Offline FIREFOX1

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 04:59:56 AM »
http://s833.photobucket.com/user/davidtmartin1/media/image_zpsa87789a7.jpg.html][/URL]

The question is to do with the bottom wings , where do I go from here,
Do I put in up rights in the bottom part of the wings, ( sorry don't know technical term) then paint, or
Do I put in ( which at this moment in time I have not got a clue how to do it)  in the Eyelets and the 0.5 x3mm tube I got from Bob, so as you can see I need some guidance here please
Or as an after thought do I build the wings top and bottom first :(:(
‘I hate to shoot a Hun down without him seeing me, for although this method is in accordance with my doctrine, it is against what little sporting instincts I have left.’ (James McCudden, VC, RFC, 1917).

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 06:03:43 AM »
Looking good so far, Dave.  At this point, if it were me, I'd paint and decal the wings, then drill and attach the eyelets, then add the struts and install the top wing.  But that's just me.  I'm sure there are as many methods as there are modelers on this site.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
You are doing a great job so far Dave.

At this point I would drill the holes for the eyelets, then I would paint the wing completely, apply the decals and the apply a clear coat. Once everything was dry I would then clean out the holes for the eyelets,  fit the eyelets and then lastly fit the struts. This is my technique, it may vary from the way others do it.

The struts are the timber upright pieces that hold the top wing to the bottom wing, these are fitted to the wings, there are also cabane struts, these also hold the top wing but they are mounted to the fuselage.

If you have a look at Bob's website he gives a very good description on how to fit his buckles.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »
Dont forget to put mask sol in the joints where the struts go before you start painting the wing WnW tollerence is tight, plus thin cement doesent like pait.

Ron

Offline FIREFOX1

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »
Question......how deep dose the eyelets go into the model, I'm really starting to panic now".......and people reckon  teaching 30 teenage, hormone induced kids is hard, they want to try rigging for the first time.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:27:50 AM by FIREFOX1 »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 09:22:06 AM »
I always use a 0.4mm drill bit and I drill about three parts of the way into the wing, the holes already there by Wingnuts are not deep enough, they are there for a guide only.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline FIREFOX1

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
Thanks Des I will give it a go

Offline Nigel Goodson

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 10:22:56 AM »
Its great, you should be proud!
Keep us posted, I would love to see it when its finally done, I'm sure it will be awesome! 
"One must first overcome the inner schweinehund"
Manfred Von Richthofen

Online AROTH

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
".......and people reckon  teaching 30 teenage, hormone induced kids is hard, they want to try rigging for the first time........."

Well, now, when you put it that way, your plight makes more sense.......

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 11:21:53 PM »
 I'm really starting to panic now".......and people reckon  teaching 30 teenage, hormone induced kids is hard, they want to try rigging for the first time.

Dave,
LOL believe me as someone who has taught too the rigging is far easier.Especially once the first is done. Of coarse three Hail Maries and crossed fingers never hurts before you start either. Keeep up the outstanding work my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 11:28:08 PM »
Outstanding progress! You obviously have Modeling Skills in place so I am sure you will get the rigging under control without a great deal of difficulty!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »
Great job on the Dh.2, Dave.  You are making really good progress!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline KONG

• A day without sunshine is like...night
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 09:51:33 AM »
Very tidy Dave and neat too . . .A fine job man  ;)
Keep up the good work

Cheers

Dave
"If I could only have brought him down alive..."

Offline FIREFOX1

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »
 Many thanks, I ended up re painting nacelle, as after looking around, and rereading some bits were wrong, so this is my second attempt, before disaster struck.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:05:35 PM by FIREFOX1 »