Author Topic: Fokker E.V/D.VIII wing streaking  (Read 11051 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Fokker E.V/D.VIII wing streaking
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:02:58 AM »
Koloman Mayrhofer and his team made five reproduction Fokker E.V/D.VIII wings on commission for Langdon Badger, Achim Engels in Germany and The Vintage Aviator Ltd in New Zealand. His website is here:
http://www.craftlab.at/index.php?id=3&L=1&cHash=c0261f27b412d59499699d2463a6241f

"The project consisted of building a series of five wings for this 1918 aircraft type. Our reproduction is mainly based on research by Mr Langdon Badger, who also took the first set of wings for his project.

Constructed as a cantilever wing with plywood covering, this layout later became the trademark of the Fokker company.
The project faithfully reproduced not only the external dimensions, but also all other construction details. Some aileron modifications were required to meet current certification requirements."

A series of photographs are presented showing the wings being built which offer valuable insights for modellers endeavouring to replicate the streaky Fokker finish that is now generally regarded as more accurate than the Fokker olive green.

Here are links to the images. Make sure you click on the images to see them full size.

Cheers
James
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:35:51 AM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Fokker E.V/D.VIII wing streaking
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:19:12 AM »
Thanks very much James for these fantastic photos and the link, all brilliant reference material.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
Thanks for posting, James.  Those photos are a great reference resource.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
Indeed, thanks James. They are really helpful.

In a different thread Zabu was kind enough to include a photo of the 'snake and rabbit'  EV I have just started and also some notes on it quoted from Dan San Abot. I hope Zabu doesn't mind me re-posting the notes here because they raise two questions. First, here's the quote:

The Fok.E.V is in the top elevation with the nose pointing up. The slope of the streaking is \. From leading edge to trailing the slope spans two rib bays at the center portion of the wing. Number the wing ribs left to right from 1 to 26.
Wing tip to 1.75 is green, to rib 4.25 is brown, to 6.5 is green, to 9.0 is brown, to 11 green, to 14 is brown, to 16.5 is green, to 19.5 is brown, to 22.75 is green, to the wing tip is brown. On the under surface of the wing the Azin violet* (17A7), matches the mocha brown* (5F7), and the azure blue* (23A7), matches the True green*(27A7), on the leading and trailing edges. The wing is streaked with these stains,(not paint) much like the Fok.DR.I. The base color would be the birch plywood, pale yellow. After the stained dried, the wing was varnished to waterproof the wing surfaces. The Methuen codes listed are the specific colors listed on the Fokker E.V wing drawing by definition.

By my reckoning that means ten stripes of colour on the 'snake and rabbit' EV . Has anyone else come across that many?

Dan San Abot also says that in the top elevation with the nose pointing up  The slope of the streaking is \. In the examples and drawings of other EVs I've seen the slopes go /. Did the Fokker vary things in this way when applying the streaking.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
I would want to see the photo if possible - this Fok E.V I have not seen anywhere. Has it been published?
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:59:36 PM »
Hi James

The photo Zabu was kind enough to provide  is in reply 26 in the  Completed Models thread I do build models honestly! It shows the snake and rabbit EV in a hanger/store of sorts and was taken from ground level looking towards the aircraft from a position in front of the starboard side.  I don't think it's clear enough to to see the streaking, but the Dan San Abot quote is as posted beneath the photo.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Jacek

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 01:35:17 AM »
Great pic.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Zabu

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 07:00:12 AM »
Hi guys.

About the pic I don't know if she has been published in any book... but I couldn't find it anywhere among my books... so i guess that it's quite difficult to have.

I took it from a thread some time ago and if i can remember it was said to be taken in a depot, an Armee Flugpark (it's my german right?), probably after the Fokkers V were grounded(?). Would it be any good if a could try to find that thread link for you guys?

Sorry guys if i can't more helpfull... i'm no expert on the subjet, i'm just a curious guy that has some fun researching for this things.

Cheers

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:14:09 AM »
Hi Zabu
I found the photo in your Photobucket album. Surprising that Dan San Abbott was so definitive about the number of the colour changes in the streaking as it does not appear at all obvious to me. He did have a habit of stating some things as facts that were actually only his opinions, and not all of these were correct.

Some of the images posted in threads dealing with Fokker E.V over at The Aerodrome have had their links broken and are no longer available so it is a good idea to save them when you can. Same for those above on this thread

Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Offline Zabu

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »
Yes your right Jamo, it's not at all obvious to me either.

A little update about the picture, I found one big thread related to this subject and snake and rabbit Fokker V picture (originally posted by StephenLawson). After all it's seems that when photo was taken the aircraft was in french hands.

I'll leave the thread link for you guys to take a look... it's a big one.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/camouflage-markings/20727-fokker-d8-wing-streaking-test-update.html

Cheers

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
Jamo,

thank you for posting those absolutely impressive photos.

Stefan

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 02:06:42 AM »
Zabu Thank you for the link - The thread there runs to over 40 pages!

Little did I know when I embarked on this adventure.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 02:37:26 AM »
Its the right colours................................................................................but I hate them....................

Steve

Offline petrov27

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 10:58:15 AM »
yes - fantastic pictures and what great craftsmanship going into those wings!

The colors really strike me as looking odd though as I am so conditioned to the look of the EV with solid "fokker green" paint....

-Patrick

Offline compressor man

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
Wow, there is something incredible about actually seeing the insides of a full-size wooden wing! You always know that they were built of wood but seeing one 'naked'...you just kind of sit back and are amazed. At least I am.