Author Topic: Book “Black Fokker Leader"  (Read 3765 times)

Offline phs Paddy

Book “Black Fokker Leader"
« on: May 06, 2012, 06:32:59 AM »
Thinking about getting Peter Kilduff’s “Black Fokker Leader: The First World War's last airfighter Knight” and wondering if any of you that have read it consider it a good read?

I have Kilduff's Red Baron and enjoyed it, so I'm now ready to read some more of his work.

Thanks for any comments.
Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: Book “Black Fokker Leader"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »
I haven't read it but I see it's in stock at The Book Depository for $25.47, with an additional 10% off. I could be tempted.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »
Thanks for that Chris. I'm thinking how could I not enjoy more of his work.

I understand that Kilduff published his first book about Carl Degelow in 1979 titled " Germany's Knight of the Air" which has long been out of print. During the many years since then Kilduff collected new information, original photos and German archival material and then wrote this completely new book with unpublished work about Degelow and his comrades.

I think I just sold myself.  :)

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Online pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »
The Red Baron is on the" to be read shelf." I may check out this one too.

Steve

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 02:11:46 AM »
Could not stand it a minute longer so this morning I downloaded “Black Fokker Leader” from Apple to my iPad.

Just finished reading the Forward which was a delight and harbinger of the trip to come I believe. (Never thought of a Forward being a delight before.)

Something of a tip-off in the relationship that Peter Kilduff and Carl Degelow built in the correspondence that occurred between them while Peter was getting into the original story was when Carl Degelow wrote to Kilduff “my friends call me Charly, why not you?”

Looking forward to getting into this one.  :)

Paddy

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
Could not stand it a minute longer so this morning I downloaded “Black Fokker Leader” from Apple to my iPad.

I don't have an iPad or a tablet of any kind but can you tell me if there are many specialty books like this available for them? I was quite surprised to read that this book is available, considering it's undoubtedly a short print run book, as are most specialty titles.

I know I sound like a dinosaur, but I don't know if I would like reading a book on a computer. There's just something about an old fashioned book.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:05:33 AM »

I don't have an iPad or a tablet of any kind but can you tell me if there are many specialty books like this available for them? I was quite surprised to read that this book is available, considering it's undoubtedly a short print run book, as are most specialty titles.

I know I sound like a dinosaur, but I don't know if I would like reading a book on a computer. There's just something about an old fashioned book.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I too feel that hardcopy can not be beat for the most enjoyable reading or lengthy study, but there are some pluses to the e-books, what they call iBooks with the iPad. I would think that any tablet would have the same or similar functions. The following are some of what’s found in the iPad iBook application;

Instant download of book (against your account)
Definition of words
Bookmark
Font type and/or size
Search for within the book, the Web, Wikipedia

Now what you cannot do is copy and paste any part of a book to a notepad or e-mail you would like to send, but that's understandable IMO.

Here is a short list of what I have located so far in their book lists dealing with WWI aviation;

by Peter Kilduff

Black Fokker Leader
Red Baron
Herman Goring Fighter Ace

The iBook app also lets you download a sample of a book at no charge, a number of beginning pages to read, that you maybe interested in purchasing. As an example I have a sample of McCudden’s “Flying Fury” loaded.

I suspect I will find more titles when I’m more specific with my search arguments.

Paddy

P.S. Thats only a small part of why I have an iPad whose primary function for me is getting on the Web or check/send e-mail when I'm in the shop. I use WiFi from there with my WiFi station being in the house which is about 75 feet away from the shop.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:12:58 AM by phs Paddy »

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 06:40:26 AM »
Paddy,
 Do a search for Winged Victory by V.M.Yeates.
You won't be disappointed.

BVB  :) 

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 07:10:15 AM »
Paddy,

Just did a scan Robert and bing-go. Thank you Lord Buckles.  ;)

Paddy

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 07:30:49 AM »
Good.
Make sure you read it!

;)

BVB

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »
'A Killing For The Hawks', by Frederick E. Smith, is still my favourite WW1 book, although fictional.

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
Paddy,

I was lucky enough to borrow a copy of "Winged Victory" from I guy I know quite recently. A really great read. Heavy going in places but well worth the effort.
It was only after a few beers that I discovered he was into WW1 aircraft. I was staying at his place and we were talking motor racing (he is a former Cooper and McLaren F1  and Can-Am mechanic). By the end of the night his copy of Winged Victory was in my bag and he had bought a WNW Sopwith Pup!

Tony
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:03:57 PM by Tony Haycock »

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 02:53:41 AM »
Hi Tony,
 The one thing I treasure about Winged Victory is it's honesty.
I agree, It can be hard going at times, but well worth finishing.

BVB

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 03:24:55 AM »
I bought a hard copy of Black Fokker Leader several months ago, great read and highly recommended. Degelow was a unique individual, served his country with distinction, was a real leader in the air, and maintained a compassionate approach to his warrior duties without compromising the aim. I really enjoyed it and Kilduff did a great job of capturing the essence of this gentleman. His "Hermann Goring, Fighter Ace" is good as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 05:50:11 AM »
Lance is spot on. I’m now reading “Black Fokker Leader” and Pete Kilduff does not disappoint. He is fast becoming my favorite WWI war in the air historian. What an interesting read about a classy gentleman who happened to become a very good fighter pilot.

I now have “Winged Victory” in my iBooks library along with “Recollections of the Great War in the Air” based on the American Roger McConnell’s memoirs as a volunteer in the French Flying Corps and was with the other Americans when the Lafayette Escadrille was formed.

Got a good line up growing for kick-back time I think and look forward to adding more Kilduff to the library and..............  :)

Paddy   
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 05:51:47 AM by phs Paddy »