Author Topic: Pair of SE.5a's.  (Read 6353 times)

Dekenba

Pair of SE.5a's.
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:47:54 AM »
OK, here goes!

Two SE.5a's, Encore's McCudden - based on Rodens but with lots of goodies - and WNW's kit, together with 2 sets of PART of Poland kits.

Lots of resin, including 2 props & resin pulley inspection windows. Also a fair bit of PE.

And here is the PART kit:

Makes up almost an entire cockpit with that lot!

I'm going to start on this one first, before moving onto the WNW kit at some point.

I'm going to start by constructing the cockpit area using the PART kit, before integrating it with the Encore plastic.

Should be fun!

Offline RAGIII

Re: Pair of SE.5a's.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:09:38 AM »
I am looking forward to your build of this one. It is on my to do this year list which means it should be done by Dec. 2013....
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Dekenba

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:17:43 AM »
For rigging, not sure whether to use Radu's PE rigging - which I've not used yet but have in my stash - or EZ Line.

May do one of each.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 02:09:27 AM »
Brilliant idea, Dekenba.  I'm going to enjoy watching this build unfold.  I've got a similar build very slightly started in 1/48 scale.  Roden's Hisso kit in McCuddens '6' and the Viper kit in Grid Caldwell's markings.  I'll be looking to pick up some pointers from you as you go along.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 03:12:01 AM »
This should be a good one to watch, good luck with your builds.

Cheers

Pete.

Dekenba

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 05:35:49 AM »
This will, I think, be the most detailed plane I've ever built.

As an example, to make the tiny little pistol for the box in the cockpit I used 6 PE parts. The cockpit frame is a box that has a floor, top and sides & extends to include the engine mounts. Every anchor point for rigging will use three separate PE pieces & the instrument panel alone uses about 50 PE pieces.

I've been crouched over my desk with my PE bending tool, a bright light and a magnifying glass. My back is killing me!

I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »
What a wonderful project you have taken on, this will be a topic that I will be following very closely, looking forward to seeing how all the PE turns out in the cockpit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing all that PE take shape. You're a better man than me!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »
It is odd but the PE that comes with  the Encore kit seems daunting enough to me! Add the part PE, which I have in 1/48th, and It is beyond my imagination  :-[
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Dekenba

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 03:44:17 AM »
Some progress!

I've completed the frame - shame it's going to be mostly hidden within the plane! I must open some panels or something:

The instrument panel has not been glued down yet, as I've still got a few bits to complete first, plus I need access to pop the floor in.

Another photo, showing the floor - just started - and the frame & panel again.

The frame is a very, very tight fit in the fuselage, I may have to thin it a little or run a few channels for the frame to sit in.

I've mostly used WNW's instructions, plus The Vintage Aviator for guidance on the interior. Encore's instructions are a little thin, whilst PART's are even thinner with no painting guide at all!

It's pretty demanding work, some absolutely tiny pieces, including a few just too small to actually use.

Once I get the frame in and close the fuselage, the rest should be a lot bigger to work with in comparison.

So, finish the floor & instrument panel & close the fuselage next. After that, insert the resin pulley inspection panels in the wings, cut the control surfaces off & get started on the engine - I'll be using Des's brilliant guide on his site to help with that. I just hope the engine fits in the frame - I suspect some adjustment may well be needed!

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 05:01:42 AM »
   Debaken,
I am truly in awe of your outstanding PE work my friend. No doubt about it your SE.5a will be a far better model than straight from the box. Looking forward to seeing the next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 07:03:54 AM »

Beautiful interior, Dekenba.  Now I've got a hankerin' to use a Part pe interior in one of my models.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 07:24:17 AM »
Having tried to incorporate minor bits and pieces of PE in my models over the years without much success or enjoyment, I'm in awe of what you've accomplished here.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »
Looks great Dekenba, very fiddly!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Dekenba

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 08:03:47 AM »
No pics yet, still finishing the cockpit & starting doing the engine.

I'd highly recommend the Encore kits - they have very good PE included, decent resin parts that are a big improvement, excellent decals and they seem very well researched, a real step up from the Roden kits upon which they seem based.

I've picked up my SE.5a kit for £30. It's cheaper than WNW and is at least as good an option, if not better.