Author Topic: Pair of SE.5a's.  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Pair of SE.5a's.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 08:10:48 AM »
The frame and cockpit look great, it must have been very time consuming fitting all those small PE parts, but the end result is excellent.

Interesting what you say about the Encore kit compared to the Wingnuts kit, I was overly impressed with the Wingnut Se.5a but not having built the Encore kit this will now be put on my  - to do - list.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 08:23:30 AM »
Thats great detailing so far. Part can be daunting!! Combine that with Roden and theres going to be some fit fun!!!

Steve

Dekenba

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 09:00:20 AM »
Steve,

You are right, it's going to be a very, very tight fit from the dry run I've done so far to get the frame in the fuselage - at least without bending it.

I think I may be dremeling the plastic a little thinner in places!

Dean

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »
Dekenba,
   You are a brave man indeed! Nice start on the Encore kit, I'll be very interested to get your perspective on the comparison when you start the WNW one. I just completed the WNW Kit a while ago in McCudden's 4891 "6" colours; the kit is an absolute joy to build. Interestingly I had the Encore Kit as well and had planned a dual build like you with the Encore version done in Rhys-David's scheme. In a fit of genius (or fear) I elected to limit myself to one, not sure I'd have survived the effort!
   I'll be following your build closely; with all the PE parts you're using I have to ask, "can I have your stash and airbrush if you don't make it to the end"?!? :) ;)
All in jest, nice work and looking forward to more.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
  Dean,
Excellent progress my friend. These are going to be awsome when they're completed. Looking forward to the next excellent update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Dekenba

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »
Doing engine now - post pictures later.

I had to get the protractor out, as my angles were all to pot! First time I've used one since University.

I've also been stripping wires left, right and centre to get material for pipes and cables - nothing is safe in my house!

Dekenba

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 08:25:38 AM »
Working on completing the cockpit & engine to fit in the frame to get in the fuselage.

Using Radu's turnbuckle's for the control cables in the cockpit - very good.

Currently fitting the various tubing onto the engine, I've replaced the spark plugs and drilled the brass tubes to take the plug leads, just need to glue the tubes into places & run the plug leads through the tubes and onto the plugs.

I should be able to post some pics on Sunday, as I've cleared the day to get the "insides" of the plane completed.

In the meantime - slightly off topic - here is a picture of my desk:

It's a mess! But it's my mess & I've got some sort of system going on, so I know where everything is.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2012, 08:47:26 AM »
I see we design our benches in a similar manner. The only thing I seem to lose are my glasses when I put them down. I may have to revert to .....the string..

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2012, 09:17:54 AM »
Dean, your bench looks a bit like mine, as well.  In fact, you gave me a great idea.  So as not to hijack your thread, I've started a thread in "Modelers' Lounge" where we can all share our work spaces.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 10:10:49 AM »
  Dean,
Heck I wouldn't call your desk a mess at all my friend. Looks a heck of a lot cleaner that mine at the moment. Looking forward to seeing those two SE-5a's.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

" What Me Worry"

Dekenba

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
This is taking longer than I envisaged, probably because it's the first model I've made!

I'm enjoying it, but things like adding brass tubes & copper wires to the engine is taking simply AGES - I've had to learn how to drill holes in brass tubing, which although sounding easy is a lot harder than it looks. Painting 0.1mm solder wire red to represent spark plug leads took a while, before I realised that a good primer was essential before the paint would stick. Realising that I needed a seam of glue to protrude in order to sand it down to a smooth finish, after carefully doing all I could to ensure that glue was carefully laid down so that it did NOT seep out! Stripping wires to get lots of different types and sizes, then buying a cheap set of digital calipers to measure them all & finding that they are indispensable for all sorts of measuring & cutting.

It's great & I'm enjoying it, but I was very naive when I thought I could get a model done in a couple of weeks - more like months!

I've got a tremendous amount of respect for you guys who produce some amazing looking models & it seems that WWI planes are the most difficult to work on & get right, simply because of the open nature & small size.

Anyway, I'm a few days away from getting the engine completed. Once done, I'll post some pics of the engine sitting in the completed frame.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »
Dekenba,
    Did I read your last correctly; "the FIRST Model I've made"!?!? If so you are certainly starting very strongly; your work is impressive for an experienced builder let alone a new one.
My sincere compliments Sirr, and I'll be following your build closely.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
The first model you've ever built? I'm dumbfounded. I think I've wasted over 30 years of hobby time after seeing what you're accomplishing here. Outstanding work!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »
Surely you jest sir!! First model?

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 11:27:56 AM »
 One thing for certain it's a darn sight better than my first effort,maybe the rest too. Way to go my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"