Author Topic: A.E.G. "Eule"  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Jacek

A.E.G. "Eule"
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:15:29 PM »
The second prototype aircraft from 1914 year.
Aviation Museum in Krakow

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: A.E.G. "Eule"
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:49:07 AM »
  Jacek,
Poor old girl looks alittle rough nowdays. I hope to see her again fully restored. Thank you for sharing her with us my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
Thanks Jacek for posting the photos of this sad old girl, I hope they have plans in action to restore this aeroplane.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »
Hi Jacek,

Thank you very much for posting these photos!  I had no idea that this aeroplane was still in existence!

I hope they don't restore this aeroplane.  Some museums are starting to realise - too late, but at least they are starting to realise -  that in many cases minimal intervention is the best approach.  I can think of quite a few aeroplanes which, if they were conserved rather than extensively restored, they would have been much more authentic and original.  We could have had quite a few more original aeroplanes in close to original condition, in a similar condition to the exceptional Fokker D.VII at Knowlton.  Most restorations involve the loss of irreplaceable original fabric and paint.  In many cases original fabric, plywood panels etc are not retained, which is a great shame.  If original parts were retained by museums I would be much more in favour of extensive restorations.

Regards,

David.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
I am pretty sure that in this day and age the greatest care is taken to preserve all original materials, all restorers know that these items are irreplaceable and do their best to pass the items on to museums. Gone are the days when everything was just tossed in the bin and replaced with new materials, respect for the original make-up of these old planes is now paramount.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »
i'm not sure but i think this is a contract built aeg built by euler. pretty sure its a "d" series   lots of stuff on both sides was done like this. like roland build halberstadts and pfalz built rolands etc.

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 04:38:51 AM »
Hi Des,

You are right, restorations have come a long way and attitudes have changed a lot.  There are still two ways of thinking though.  I know it looks tatty but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Restorations usually occur because the public want to see the aeroplane as it was, not as it is now.  I can understand that but there is still a lot to be said for leaving exhibits as they are.  It will be interesting to see what they do with this aeroplane.  It looks as though it is on display as it is.