Author Topic: Fokker Spinne (Spin, Spider)  (Read 3065 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Fokker Spinne (Spin, Spider)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 12:38:39 PM »
The motor in the photo is definitely not pre WWI, you can tell by the sophistication of the castings etc. Hirth wasn't even founded until 1920. (The badges say Hirth Motoren)

Offline David

Re: Fokker Spinne (Spin, Spider)
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
Thanks for letting me know, Bo.

Most of the time I recite facts from memory, so I don't always get everything right.  In addition, from time to time I misunderstand what I have heard and / or read until such time as I am corrected on a point or find another account I understand better.  Still, it's very interesting and ironic that the Germans used a machine gun which was based on a British machine gun, given that they were shooting at each other with these deadly weapons.

On a similar subject, I often wonder whether the Oberursal was a licence built version of the le Rhone, rather than a copy, which is the explanation which is generally accepted.  The reason for this is that I have a German propeller which has the engine type stamped as le Rhone, rather than Oberursal.  Perhaps the Germans used the two names interchangeably, since they are almost identical, but it does make me wonder why the engine type was not stamped as Oberursal.

Regards,

David.