Author Topic: 1:32 Fokker Spinne (Spider)  (Read 25443 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
1:32 Fokker Spinne (Spider)
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
I have started my next scratch build, this time a Fokker Spinne (Spider) in 1:32 scale.  To begin with I decided to build the engine first, this is an Argus four cylinder 50hp water cooled model. The engine will be fully exposed as no cowlings were added to this aeroplane, so I will detail the engine as much as possible. Below are some photos of progress so far, the basics of the engine are now complete but I still need to add the plug leads and a lot of plumbing, I have added the four primer taps to the top of the cylinders. The match and hand photos give a good size comparison, it is not a huge engine but has been fun to build so far.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Andi Little

Re: 1:32 Fokker Spinne (Spider)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »
Oh my word!!!!!!!!!!!! ............ I wish?
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline martin

• Martins Scale Models
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:00:05 PM »
Gorgeous looking engine Des. I will certainly enjoy following this new build.

Martin.

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
Hi Des,

That is an absolutely magnificent replica engine!  Could you please give us a link to, or tell us how we can navigate to the build log?  I am not sure what Bo means by the main site.  I thought this is it!  ???  I'm easily confused these days!  ;D

Ah yes, the old giant matchstick and giant hand trick!  :D  Building such a replica engine in a larger scale or even full sized is enough of a challenge but in 1:32 scale, what an achievement!  It looks as though it's ready to kick over Des!  After seeing your Caudron earlier today and now this I am absolutely astounded by the quality of your scratch built models!

Congratulations Des!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 10:42:32 PM »
Here you go David, the link to the build log  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page44.html

My website is the main site, this is where I have a full build log history plus plenty of hints and tips, the big red banner at the top of the forum page will take you directly to the main website, just click the banner and hey presto, you will be there.

Thank you for your kind words regarding my build of the engine, they are much appreciated.

Des.

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 11:26:59 PM »
Thanks for that Des!  :)  I will have a look.  That's the page I first went to in order to become a member of this forum.  The forum and the main website have the same URL.  I'm a bit confused but I guess that technically the main website and this forum are separate from each other.  I came here by clicking the forum link on the main site, and have never gone back, until just then!

You're very welcome Des!  I am very impressed by your work!  I will have a good look at some of the build logs, including yours when I have some spare time.

Regards,

David.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:24:38 AM »
Yahoo! Another Des scratch build!

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 01:53:24 AM »
Wonderful job on the engine, Des...it's a jewel!  I'm Looking forward to the rest of
the build.  You've picked an interesting project.  Quite a flimsy looking kite, and I
can't wait to  see how you do it justice. 

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 04:13:25 AM »
are you freakin kiddin me? one of my favorite early aircraft of all time.  i started gathering info last year so let me know if you need info . cant wait to see this bad boy.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 05:46:01 AM »
That is just one incredible engine - they detail is astounding..... and I am fast running out of superlatives! One more: amazing.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »
Beautiful Des!  Can you tell us a little about the tools you use to achieve such fine work from raw materials?  Thanks.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »
Thank you for all the kind comments, much appreciated.

Bob - I have a small watch makers lathe which does a great job for any turning I require. I also have a full set of carbide micro drill bits, these are fantastic for drilling very accurate holes in any material except steel, but they do break easily. I also have a selection of scalpel blades, these I purchase in boxes of 100 so I always have a good supply, I fit the blades to stainless steel handles. I use a set of very fine jewelers files for shaping my parts along with very fine grit wet and dry paper. I have a fine tooth razor saw for cutting plastic parts, this is a great little tool and cuts very clean, I also have a hammer on stand by just in case  :)

Scott - An email heading your way today - thanks.

Des.

Offline IanB

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
Gorgeous engine Des, it's huge! (ok so I'm used to 1:72...)  ;)

Ian

Offline AROTH

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »
Where does one acquire those tiny springs?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 01:41:46 PM »
Aroth - I was fortunate enough to have a guy in Europe send me some tiny springs, the place where he works uses equipment that has miniature springs and they need replacing on a regular basis, so the used springs although perfectly okay are no good for the equipment but are very useful for other purposes, like modeling  :)

Des.