Author Topic: 1:32 Fokker Spinne (Spider)  (Read 25370 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: 1:32 Fokker Spinne (Spider)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
I'm at a loss for words, mate!  You are truly the Scratch Master.  I knew you were going to build a Fokker next, but I thought it would be a D.VII.  I'm delighted to see this as your next up.  That engine is your usual pure brilliance.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »
Thanks very much Bud, I'm sorta getting used to doing scratch builds now and thoroughly enjoy doing them.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »
Yes it's true..

I wet my pants when Des started the scratch build of the spider.  Here's a  ::) for the wet pants and several..

:) :) :) :) :) :)

for the Fokker Spinne.

I'll be following this exciting build with much anticipation, so here's a  :-* for you Des.

Happy Landings
Steven Robson

(mental note: Steven your really shouldn't be sending Des virtual kisses)

p.s.  It really is time for our kit makers to pull up their socks and make some of the early aviation aircraft available to us. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:19:49 PM by Steven Robson »
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Russell

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »
Des,

The engine is a magnificent start (as usual). :)

I didn’t know what a Fokker Spinne looked like so I searched the net. You certainly do enjoy rigging don’t you!

You mentioned using a watchmaker lathe. In the past I’ve used my Kerry engineering lathe for making bits for 1/24 & 1/43 scale cars but weighing in at around 900 pounds it’s a touch of overkill. I’d looked at watchmaking lathes but never sorted out what to get. Could I ask what yours is please?

Regards
Russell   

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
All the above - superb work, Des  :o
Two eyes fixed on future updates.
Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »
An interesting challenge!

I tapped Fokker Spinne in Wikipedia and it re-directed me to a page on the Fokker Spin (sic). It suggested that a couple of surviving examples are preserved at the Aviodrome aviation museum at Lelystad Airport in the Netherlands. It would be great if someone could get a good set of photographs taken. Or has that  already been done?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 08:39:16 PM »
Yes, I didn't know what a Fokker Spinne was either.. Great subject for a scratch build Des..

Will be watching this one..

Regards

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 08:46:20 PM »
Russell - Here is the information on my lathe, it is a cute little thing but does everything I want it to.

Nigel - I would very much like someone in the Netherlands to take a heap of photos of the surviving Spinne at the Aviodrome Museum. all photos would be greatly appreciated.

Des.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 08:58:30 PM »
Des,

Nice start. I am still wrestling with my Historic Wings kit for a 1:72 Fokker Spin.

You have seen these pictures before, but I took those in august 2011, when this Spin replica (from the 1930ies) was exhibited in the St. Bavo church in Haarlem.

It might help you with the rigging and other details. Since then, I have found that almost every Fokker Spin is unique in itself:

There are more pictures, but these just give a good impression.

By the way, I don't know why in english you are referring to the Fokker Spin as a Fokker Spinne. Don't know where those two additional letters came from. Spin is Spider in dutch. If you look at the rigging, this might be an explanation for the name.

Regards,
Ivo

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
Great photos Ivo!  I had never heard of a Fokker Spin before Des's thread on this build.  This is a prime example of how truly helpful and important this forum is for early aircraft modelers.  In two pages of posts I have learned about an aircraft I had never heard of, obtained information on a lathe and modeling tools that are very helpful to the hobby, been further inspired by another brilliant scratch build by Des and seen wonderful prototype photos of the subject from Ivo!  I also learned a little Dutch.  ;). Only here folks! ;D.  What a great thing for all of us.  Thanks Des!

Regards,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »
Thanks very much Ivo for the great photos, they will certainly be helpful. One thing I have found while searching for information is that there were many variations of the Fokker Spin, Spinne, Spider, so it is a matter of picking one particular type and sticking with it.

Thanks Bob for your kind words, I am so happy that you are getting so much from the forum.

Des.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
Des,
   Now, this one looks like a challenge and then some! It will be fun and certainly there'll be no end of inspiration and learning following the "Scratchmaster" through this project. Enjoy, I know we all will from our "comfy chairs"!
Cheers, ;)
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »
Des, here are a couple pics from wwimodels.org.
http://www.wwi-models.org/app/sbj/srch/Macn.php?action=uArchList&subjId=135
Good shot of the underside.  It's all just sort of tentatively held together with wire.  Wing attachment should be fun.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 12:43:15 AM »
Yer a crafty Fokker - nice start - I will be going back and forth tween here and the build log. Your lathe pic looks like a spec sheet - where did you get it/who makes it?

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 04:00:24 AM »
Steve,
   I found it for sale in Singapore and Hong Kong but couldn't get a price without giving up my Birth Certificate #, Visa and Bank Account Passwords etc......or so it seemed! Hopefully Des can provide a Vendor contact.
Cheers,
Lance :o