Author Topic: Here's a strange one guys...  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Here's a strange one guys...
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:54:43 AM »
I think I'm "suffering" from what I call "Wingnutphobia".
  Before someone calls the men in the white suits, I have been
building 1/48 WWI planes exclusively albiet slowly and still have
six or seven to go in my stash.  I also have been accumulating
WnW products over time...I think off hand I have about half a
dozen of them as well. 
  What bothers me is if I go ahead and work on one of the WnW
models, will it taint my desire to build my 1/48 models.  They are
mostly Eduard, good models, but not in the class of Wingnuts.  The
size difference would enter into it too, I imagine.  Much easier to work
with the 1/32's.  Would it be a letdown going back to the smaller scale
after that?
  So what do you think guys?  Am I just being silly, or has anyone here
felt the same thing and if so, how did you deal with it?  Maybe it's just
because I'm still pretty new at all this. 
  Anyway, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.  Thanks for listening!

Cheers,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Here's a strange one guys...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
I'm similarly afflicted, Ernie.  I've got over 170 1/48 scale WWI kits and 6 WNW kits, none of which I've started.  I really want to get started on one of them, but I have the same fears you have.  Besides, I have no place to display more than a few 1/32 scale models.  What to do? ???
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 10:48:01 AM »
It'll happen. I consciously held off starting Wingnuts stuff exactly because of that and yes, I now I can't see myself going back. I have about 60 1/48 kits in mint condition that I simply can't see myself building now. But hey, life is too short to build 1/48th out of a sense of obligation or because of a few bucks that might be wasted on kits you now won't build.
I'm not too concerned about the money spent on those 1/48 scale kits, Red.  My wife can use them as sort of a life insurance policy.  I've given her a list of what she can get for them on ebay after I'm gone.  She's very excited.  Makes me nervous.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »
   Hey Ernie, I think I can provide some reasonable perspective on your concerns as we have a great deal in common. You are 64, I am 69, thus the seemingly sausage fingers and hard to focus eyes are no doubt things we share. Geographically we are very near one another, in fact I suspect closer then we realize thus our modelling efforts in the Summer (a very short one) tend to be similar and slow down thus giving much more time for introspection such as this.
I had a similar problem; however once I'd built my first 1:32 Kit and enjoyed it immensely I never went back. I recently sold 95% of my 1:48 Stash and am now a very happy 1;32 Modeller.
   So, go back to the facts, you have 6 or so in the Stash in each scale...try a 1:32 and if you never go back you haven't lost much if anything. The survivors of my 1:48 days are still proudly on display, as should be yours. I suspect you'll probably enjoy the larger Scale more and, given our ages, there's vastly more the enough Kits out there to keep us challenged until they take away our sharp X-actos, toxic paints, and pointed tools and provide a lap quilt and jig saw puzzle as the replacement!!
   I now have only a few 1:48 Kits in the closet as they have sentimental value (gifts from my Son ), I build only in 1:32, and have never enjoyed this hobby more, just wish I had more productive time ahead, but that's life!
   Hope this is of some help or offers a little perspective....relax and enjoy!
Cheers, :) ;)
Lance

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »
Hi Ernie

I fully sympathise with your dilemma.  Yes the Eduard’s in 1/48 were a great joy to build and collect.

After my first WNW, mine were all sold (at a discount) into the second hand aftermarket.  I then bought a jeweller’s lathe and never looked back.

Lance has also done this and I would be very surprised if our Rittmeister ever built any 1/48 again.  I reckon with his (in- progress) first WNW builds, he’ll also be spoiled like the rest of us.

It is very much the case that once you start and then finish your first WNW 1/32 kit; it just doesn’t compare to where you’ve been with the 1/48.  These kits really are a 3-D canvas and take your modelling to a whole new level.  If you thought the Eduard’s were well made and engineered to very fine tolerances, then, just wait until you build a WNW.

So..

Ernie, I can only echo what’s been previously said.  It’s no men in white coats for you, just a trip down to your local second hand kit aftermarket and a fond farewell to your stash.  Build your 1/32 scale first and then let us all know where the issue settles.

Happy Landings
Steven

p.s.  I think we know that deep down we'd like to build them all!  This will never happen and it's best to build the models you have a great passion for, and always go for quality, quality, quality in your collection.  Consider an Albatros D.V

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:34:56 PM by Steven Robson »
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline Ernie

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
Thank you everyone for the help and wise advice.  It is comforting
to know that I'm not alone in my quandry. Your thoughts will
help me make my decisions easier.

Many thanks again,

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 04:36:53 PM »
i say build away, it wont taint you. not if you are like me. i have mostly 1/48  but just about every wnw kit too. i built my lvg first. which i kinda lost interest in, still need to put that top wing on. the pup i did next, i stripped the paint off 2xs cuz i wasnt happy, i also tricked out a 1/32 hobbycraft spad with custon resin interior that i scratched as well as a academy nieuport 17 in 1/32. lost interest in those builds too. i have started my wnw pfal dxii,rumpler c iv and fokker dvii, but,,,,, and here is the big but as big as j-lo's but. i end up having more fun messing with my lower quality 1/48 stuff. why? is the man nuts? well to me i like the scraping and sanding and rigging something from nothing that brings the ooo's and ahhs. i spend most of my time on modifications or scartch building upgrades for the more primitive kits alot of times. dont get me wrong, still love and am impress with my wnw kits just havent quite finished one yet. i have however completed 10-12 1/48 kits in the last 2 years. i dont know maybe i am nuts butt i like to research and tweak and grind and build stuff. the wnw kits are really kinda easy to build. imho much easier than doing a short run 1/48 kit. hell its much easier to rig 1/32. so it just depends on you. what you like to do etc. but i say you should start cutting plastic from sprue on at least one wnw kit. you paid for em didnt you?

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 08:08:14 PM »
Build both, switch between the scales.  I look at my stash, with models in a variety of scales, and I think what next?

Eduard 1:48 will still be good to build....

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 10:34:42 PM »
I'm sticking with 1/48. I prefer all of my models to be the same scale and, for now, there is a much better selection of subjects in 1/48 than 1/32 (and probably better still in 1/72). I also doubt if my meager skills could get the best out of the larger scale kits. I don't own any WNW kits at present, but may buy some in the future as investments seeing as how the OOP  issues command such high prices on the 2nd hand market. I am also beginning to wonder if WNW has sucked all of the oxygen out of the WWI kit manufacturing base. For all the acclaim given to WNW kits, I think it will be a pity if we end up with only one WWI kit manufacturer.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 12:08:54 AM »
Isn't it odd how we seem to gravitate towards a certain scale? My AFVs are all in 1/35, my WWI aircraft are all 1/32, and my WWII and modern aircraft are in 1/48. In my particular case, I just like the overall general size of the models when I break them down like this.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Ernie

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 12:45:40 AM »
Thanks again everyone...after sleeping a rather fitful night on it,
I think I am going to put my little  collection of 1:48's in a box until
I decide what to do with them...(out of sight, out of mind? ;), and
once I finish my Camel, which is currently driving me to distraction, I'll
stick my toe into the 1/32 waters.  Of course I will have to go out and
buy hammers, chisels, saws, winches and other stuff you big scale guys use. ;D

Bud- Geez, with that many kits to think about, I would really be in a tizzy!
I worried about the space to display problem, but hey when it comes down to it,
we really don't need my wife's easy chair. ;)  I did tell her about your idea about
the Ebay sale after you and she got this evil glint in her eye until I told her in my
case there are only a few planes involved. ;D

Baron- Thanks for your input...you are right of course...life is too
short, and if I think about it, it's not a huge investment.  You not only make great
models, you make sense!  Thank you. :)

Lance - I didn't realize you were up there.  When I worked on the railway,
I used to bring the train with the jet fuel up to the Air base.  Small world, eh?
  But you're right...I really do want to get a few of these big beauties done before
I am reduced to drooling into my porridge. ;)

Steven - I really appreciate your insight.  You have given me a perfect
example and some needed inspiration with that absolutely beautiful Albatros!
  I don't imagine I'll ever get that good, but it will be good to be in the
same ball park, so to speak. ;D

Alby1234- That's the reason for the storage box...if I ever change my
mind, which I have been known to do. ;)...and you're right, I have to remind
myself I did so pay for them so I should make an attempt!  Thanks! :)

Chris - That's a good thought.  I can keep the wwII and jets 1/48 seeing
they are bigger anyway, and the WWI goodies 1/32 and still have some
consistency...which in my life is sadly lacking. ;D

So thanks again, Everyone...you have all helped a bunch!
Sorry about the essay, my wife says I tend to babble too! :-[

Cheers,

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:54:07 AM »
Hi Ernie,

Just to add my little bit to your dilemma, when once you have tried a WnW model, they really are precision engineering in plastic, they build up in to brilliant models straight out of the box, you will find yourself wanting to build more, but you can also build what ever scale you want as a change, just as the mood takes you.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline Ernie

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 07:54:15 AM »
Thanks Pete.  I have been looking over the WnW's I have on hand and you are
certainly right about the quality of the kits.  Now that I have made a decision
to move up, the idea is much more comfortable and I am getting excited about
actually starting one of these beauties.  Thank you so much for your encouragement.

Cheers,

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
Gotta know Ernie, which WNW is likely to be first ??? If you have the Pup I can`t recommend it highly enough as a first step into the larger Scale.
As far as the JP4 you used to drag up the rails for us I had a lot of great times converting some of it into noise; thanks for that! Now the Rail line is gone and they truck it up here by `B-Trains`or tandem trucks. Even that huge over river trestle you used to cross just before arrival here is gone after being burned down several years back.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »
Hi Lance...Hmmmm Pup, huh?  Luckily I have one in my stashette.  Taking
a look at it, it may be a good choice at that for a first WnW plane.  Thanks!
Sad to hear the tracks have all gone up there...progress, I guess.  Appreciate
the update.

Cheers,