Author Topic: Latest acquisition in your collection  (Read 377426 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Latest acquisition in your collection
« Reply #1650 on: February 26, 2016, 09:12:43 AM »
Just received the excellent 1/12th scale MvR bust from Arnaud. Thank You for your Generosity! Also got the DH2 I ordered for my Birthday and next week should get the Albatros DVa OAW.
RAGIII

wnwsalmsonandpfalz 034_crop by Richard Geisler, on Flickr

wnwsalmsonandpfalz 035_crop by Richard Geisler, on Flickr
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1651 on: February 26, 2016, 09:25:23 AM »
An extremely nice bust Rick, the detail is excellent. I also ordered the DH.2 last week, get in before the price rise.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #1652 on: February 27, 2016, 07:11:44 AM »
Yep me too Des and it's on it's way  :)

However guys,  the following did not bring a smile to my face I'm afraid  :(

Following recommendation by a good forum friend on here I went in search for rigging material. Yesterday I relieved this largish box

Containing these three small items

This puts it more in context - my friend Paul (zsu 234) has taken his roll

Well, so it's in a big box I hear you say - so what's the problem - well consequently it came through UK 'Parcel Force' and incurred a further £20.81 charge - gulp  >:( -  total charge in all £40.14 + £20.81 Had it been in a 'Jiffy' bag it would have probably come through Royal Mail not to mention cheaper postage rate.

But there's more he says - that bone of contention £8.00 Parcel force handling charge appears to have made a staggering jump up to £13.50 - double bloody gulp  :o

So at just over twenty quid a roll that's going to have to be used with great economy  ;)

I have to say though it is superb material and I can't wait to use it - thanks for the heads up Lance.

I have three WnW kits coming, all at $69 which with the pound/dollar rate takes me about £14 over the cut-off for imposing import duty as well as VAT - I might be lucky but I have a distinct feeling these kits aren't going to be quite as good a deal as previous - but hey who cares - they are on their way  :)

Ah well - you win some and you lose some  ::)

Regards - Tug

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #1653 on: February 27, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »
Tug,
   That's horrible, and then some! I know it's of little comfort however I'm in a less severe but similar situation here, currency exchange and simply outrageous postal charges make every purchase decision a near life changing event; I recently put in an order to top up my drill bit inventory and figure it cost very close to double what I would have paid a year ago.
   I got my two rolls of this stuff over a year ago and it arrived in a much smaller box, but still much larger then need be. Has anyone on the Forum found a supplier for this stuff other then Hobby Link? I found some on Sprue Brothers a while back however felt it was over priced.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1654 on: February 27, 2016, 09:08:35 AM »
bnamodelworld.com in Melbourne Victoria has it on their website for $29.95AUD per roll. Last time I ordered some it came in a very small package and only cost a few dollars for post, they do send overseas, here is the link;   http://www.bnamodelworld.com/hobby-tools-supplies-tubes-cables-wires-modelkasten-mk-hs-1

Des.

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #1655 on: February 28, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »
Thanks for the sympathy  Lance  ;) - I'll think of you every time I use it  ;D

Des - I think that would still make for a pricey outlay per reel - isn't the Aus dollar about .50p? As a matter of interest the basic Hobby Link price per reel was £9 something

The £13.50 is only charged for GLS parcels or express parcels - if your was neither, I'd contact Parcelforce and appeal the charge.

Import duty is not charged if it comes to less than £7, so you will be find with that.

Hi Kai 

How would I determine if this was a 'GLS' (?) parcel - not sure what you mean by GLS. I had the package sent at their (Hobby Link) 2-7 days rate - would that be considered 'express' ? If you can enlighten me there I will try to do as you suggest if nothing more than to see what the result is.

Interesting to hear though that this £13.50 is as you say - have to wait and see if it is just the usual £8.00 when the kits arrive.

My understanding from a recent check re import duty is that it only applies if the goods are valued at more than £135 and only then if the duty is more that £9.00. The more frustrating thing is that whilst I'm aware it varies due to the specific goods imported there is nothing I can find that gives a (straightforward) explanation as to how that duty is calculated percentage wise.

Thanks for you input  - Tug

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #1656 on: February 29, 2016, 09:36:53 AM »
Thanks Kai - I have no idea who delivered it, I just thought it was 'Parcel Force' per se.

I intend ringing them tomorrow and will report back any update. Looks like I might be lucky with the kits though - should know in a week or two.

Thanks again - Tug

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #1657 on: March 01, 2016, 08:44:00 AM »
Just to confirm Kai, that the parcel was considered 'express' and hence attracted the higher surcharge.

The £8 charge for parcels of slower delivery still applies as you said.

Tug

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #1658 on: March 01, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
Sorry to read about the Modelkasten woes!  I'll have to use mine more sparingly.
Here are my latest purchases.  I actually got them 2 or 3 weeks ago, but really haven't had the time to post the photos until now.  These 1/48 scale Gaspatch Parabellums are the latest addition to their lineup and they are spectacular.  Just imagine their 1/32 scale guns simply reduced in size.  Used one on my DFW and I'm very happy with the way it looks.

These Copper State RAF 4a engines are even more impressive.  Got four to use on a RE8, an early and a late BE12 and a BE12a.  Can't wait to use 'em.

My latest order from Richard, also for the RE8, etc.

Finally, very excited to have finally pulled the trigger on this one.  Kept putting it off thinking I might be content with the 1/48 Special Hobby versions, but Michel Gruson's delightful build pushed me over the edge and am I ever glad.  It's a beautiful kit and I got it at $69.  It's now at $89!  Lucky me.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online miecio52

« Reply #1659 on: March 01, 2016, 03:58:09 PM »
Yesterday the postman brought.

Regards
 Mietek
 IPMS Poland / Silesia

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #1660 on: March 01, 2016, 08:41:08 PM »
Outstanding acquisitions all around guys! That Bleriot really looks interesting  8)
RAGIII

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #1661 on: March 02, 2016, 06:23:48 AM »
I really like the look of the Bleriot, I am keen to see the build of this kit once you start.

Des.

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #1662 on: March 03, 2016, 06:55:00 AM »

Given the current situation vis a vis price increases I made a snap decision yesterday afternoon to buy this

Spotted on ebay at a 'buy it now' price of less than my 'local emporium's' previous charges I hit the buy now button around 4 pm. By 5pm I had a mail saying it had been dispatched and by 9.30 am this morning it was in my eager paws  :D Not bad for free postage I'm sure you'd agree.

That's helped make up for the rigging line Bud  :)

Regards - Tug

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #1663 on: March 03, 2016, 11:25:59 AM »
Hey Bud, you'll really enjoy building the Pfalz D XII, it's an easy build but lots of fun.  Knowing your skills, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Gabe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #1664 on: March 13, 2016, 01:38:46 AM »
Here are my latest acquisitions:
The WNW Albatros DVa ( OAW)
Four basic tubes of Windsor Newton Griffin Alkyd Fast Drying Oils
One bottle of Drooling Bulldog Kraplac ( Red) paint: Thanks Ondra!

PS: The W&N Alkyd Oils are Titanium White, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, and Yellow Ochre. They are not only the basic wood tone colors but make a nice Flesh mixture for figures.

acquisitions 002 by Richard Geisler, on Flickr

RAGIII
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:58:19 AM by RAGIII »