Author Topic: Sprue cutters  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Andrew H

Sprue cutters
« on: July 14, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »
Hello everybody - new member here asking a very silly question probably! I have numerous different sprue cutters in my collection. When recently trying to cut off a seat support for the WNW D.Va I managed to snap it by imparting a slight twist. Most of the ones I have I think will do this - any suggestions/ideas?

Offline Hannover

Re: Sprue cutters
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »
I use a pair of these  http://www.fiskars.co.uk/Crafting-Sewing/Products/Scissors/Classic-Scissors/9807-Classic-Precision-Straight-Scissors-10cm

They are great and will cut through reasnaobly thick plastic. The fine blades enable you to get close in and using the tip you have quite a lot of control over where you cut. Not managed to snap a plastic part using them yet.

If the sprue is really thick I just use a pair of instrument sidecutters and cut well away from the part then use a craft knife to fettle.

Hope this helps

P

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:37:02 PM »
G'day, Andrew.

For some of the finer parts I won't use a sprue cutter at all, even though I have a couple of top-shelf ones.  Instead I either use a fresh blade and lightly score the sprue until the part drops away or, more usually, I'll use these razor saws I got from RB:

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_112&products_id=358&zenid=decac92a8dd331c1bf0bad2e07a9ea9a

They give as clean a cut as the cutter, but I can control the cut better.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Andrew H

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
Thanks for your help guys - will give these ideas a try.  ;D

Offline ronv

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:18:48 PM »
For delicate parts that may break, I sometimes heat an old x-acto blade over a candle and melt through the attachment point.

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
Personally, I'm old school and just use a  sharp, single edge razor blade .
I got this habit many decades ago (before there was such a thing as a sprue cutter)  and you know what they say about old dogs.  :)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 01:16:23 PM »
I'm like you Joe, old school. All I use is the trusty old scalpel, the different blades for different applications, No.11, No.15 and No.22, a very useful tool and extremely sharp.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
Des,

I'm not sure if this has been answered elsewhere (or even if I've asked before :o ::)) but what would you typically use each No. blade in the picture for? Specific use, etc, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
I also use a scalpel at times  when more finesse and sharpness than an X-acto is required.  I find a #11 blade quite useful.   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:47:32 PM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
Hi Andrew,

The top blade in the picture is No.22, I use this blade primarily for cutting the micro brass tube.

The centre blade is the No.15, this is the blade I use most often, good for cutting parts from the sprue and also for trimming any parts, they are a strong blade.

The bottom blade is the No.11, I use this one for scrapping, it is also used for getting into tight spots that need trimming.

The most important feature of all is that all the blades are extremely sharp.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
Xuron side-cutters do it for me  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
i use different cutters for different things. for wings and such i use side cutters far away from the attach point and then shave with an exacto w a #11. i noticed if i cut too close with a side cutter i ended up with a pit that needed filling. i have some type of cuticle clippers, they get into tight spots and trim fairly flush for medium sized parts. for tiny delicate stuff a brand new exacto #11 so it doesnt break. i have also heated an exacto blade and melted thru an attachment and trimmed later. i guess its all what worx best for each modeller.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
I mostly use a no 11, a few mm from the part.  I also rest the sprue on a spare bit of wood so that there is minimal gap between where I cut and the block, to avoid bending and snapping particularly for thin components.

Beforehand I may also dissect the sprues into smaller sections, cutting the main frames with heavy duty scissors, well away from any components.

Long gone are the days of twisting off the parts!

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 11:11:48 PM »
Xuron side-cutters for me too. I cut close to the sprue to avoid putting pressure on the part itself and when its completely free, I trim with a scalpel and finish up with a file.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 12:21:57 AM »
Xuron side-cutters for me too. I cut close to the sprue to avoid putting pressure on the part itself and when its completely free, I trim with a scalpel and finish up with a file.

Cheers,

Chris

100% the mirror image of my Xuron sprue tickling method  :D

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith