Author Topic: Sprue cutters  (Read 3446 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Sprue cutters
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 12:38:22 AM »
I've always used the Xuron or similar and/or a #11 blade however I now use a very fine razor saw; broke too many really small parts in the past. I have several, RB's are really well suited.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 01:58:19 AM »
Andrew,
   I should have included a recommendation for the best razor type saw I have, probably the most used tool (other then the #11 Blade) I have in fact. Look on line for www.umm-usa.com    They have a Universal tool for Modellers, a double sided fine and medium blade on a wooden handle that has spare blades available. Magnificent tool for sprue work! I bought it on the recommendation of a Modeller on another site a few years ago, it's indispensable.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Andrew H

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »
All I asked was a simple question !!  ;D  No, seriously, what a great bunch you are on here. Wonderful replies and great suggestions. Thank you all very much. 

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 04:27:40 AM »
That's a great site Lcaroll :)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 09:46:47 AM »
That's a great site Lcaroll :)

It most certainly is, but hard on the budget! The saw I was referring to is the JLC 002 item and the spare blades; it's a very fine modelling tool. I could spend a whack of $ there if I had a weak moment or three...............
Cheers,
Lance ;)

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 11:10:53 AM »
Yeah,, me too...:)

I may just order one the the jigs.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 11:29:09 AM »
Thanks for the link Lance, I've ordered the JLC 002 and should have it in a few more days, been looking for a supplier for these, now, to go through the rest of their website to see what other goodies they have  ;D

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »
Thanks for the link Lance, I've ordered the JLC 002 and should have it in a few more days, been looking for a supplier for these, now, to go through the rest of their website to see what other goodies they have  ;D

Des.

Careful Des, they have a variety that could vaporize the average Bank Account! ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 04:00:20 AM »
Well...... I could not resist........I  put in an order to that site .
A couple of tools  I really needed but, there were also a few things that  i just had to have....... like a kid in a candy store.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:49:25 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »
Joe,
   Did you order the Jig? If so I'll be interested in your comments once you've used it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »
Yes, the jig  is one thing  that  ordered...... the one  that supports 2 wings for bi planes.
It  will really come in handy for the  Morane Saulnier Type L which I have already started.  :) 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:10:29 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 06:15:33 AM »
UPDATE.....

I  ordered on a Saturday  and they were sent out that Monday  with 2 day priority mail.....delivered today.

I will   just say that i the jig  is going to be  a little assembly project  in its self.  It does seem well  engineered though for its intended purpose though using quality die cut ply wood. and metal hardware.     
I will post of pic of it once assembled if anyone  wants it

BTW, one of the other  other things that I ordered  was one of the micro scissors and after testing it, I can say it's  a must have IMO.  :)     
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:19:11 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline BLOWHARD

• Great War In The Air - Dave Douglass Gallery
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 07:08:45 AM »
My (late) 2 cents: I have a number of them, several by Xuron, but I've found the Xuron's not that well made.  My go-to cutters are the really nice tweezer style cutters sold by umm-usa-

And Tamiya's cutters-

They seem to be made a little better than the Xuron cutters and there is no wobble from the rivet henge that Xuron uses. 

My take is that saws and knife blades aren't really sprue cutters and although I use these methods sometime, I wouldn't call them that :)
DAVE IPMS 16124

Offline Jan K

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 07:39:56 AM »
I use a fine blade saw...Better than any scissors ;).