Author Topic: 1911 Voisin Hydroplane  (Read 7032 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
1911 Voisin Hydroplane
« on: June 03, 2013, 04:28:51 AM »
  Well guys I'll make this official. After a long absence from building anything I'm now feeling up to a modeling project at last. So without further ado here's the latest. A scratchbuilt 1911 Voisin Hydroplane.

As some of you know I have a thing for Odd Ball aircraft especially if it's an Early Aviation Odd Ball. I don't believe you can get much odder than the 1911 Voisin Hydroplane. To date the most difficult thing as been to find good plans for the project. As the sharp eyed among you have noticed the plans I'm working from originally for a Free Flight rubber powered model. But not to worry my friends this project is not intended to fly. The aim is to build a 1911 Voisin in 1/32 scale from plastic not wood.However I do intend to use tissue for the covering of the wings and fuselage. Note that this most likely will be a long term project as well.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
Re: 1911 Voisin Hydroplane
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:30:12 AM »
Welcome back, Gregory!   :D

LT

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:51:15 AM »
  From researching this project I found that there were several different versions of the 1911 Voisin and a 1912 version for which I couldn't locate good enough drawings or plans for to model. Here's a couple of other versions I did find plans for.
 The Land version of the 1911 Voisin.

Another version of the Voisin Hydroplane.

The wing span shown on these plans isn't scale as we would know it. These are draw to Peanut Scale intended for Free Flight. So for workable plan in 1/32 scale they require a little reworking for scale. In my case I've reduced the drawing to arrive at the scale dimensions for the fuselage. For her wings I've begun drawing my own rough construction drawing.

Thanks for looking and as always any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:16:48 AM »
  The first cutting of plastic. One of the fuselage side section underway. I'm building right atop the plans just as you would a stick and tissue kit.

One side done with half circle reinforcements for framework support and later rigging attachment.

Laying in the lower framework pieces.

A little dry run to check how well I could line everything up. So far so good. A few additional frame cross pieces to be added before I'm ready to put the sides together.

That's all for now. More to come when I've something to show. I'm working today on refining my drawings . Thanks for dropping by and as always any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated .
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:52 AM »
Very cool project Gregory -- and happy to hear  (and see!) that you are feeling up to taking this on. I will follow along with great interest.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 07:22:25 AM »
It's fantastic to see you back at your model bench again Gregory and even better seeing you producing something. It is an Odd Ball flying machine you have chosen but I'm sure you will be the one to pull it off as a scratch build, your progress so far is excellent, looking forward to watching you create your work of art..

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IvotB

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:27 AM »
Gregory,

Nice to see this new scratchbuilt topic of yours. I will follow this one. I am already looking forward to this fuselage.

regards,
Ivo

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »
Great start to an interesting bird. Love the process youre using and Im looking forward to the next steps!!

Steve

Offline IanB

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »
Nice start Gregory, I'll check back every few months to see how it's going!  ;D ;)

Ian

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:37:24 AM »
 Thank you all very much for your kindly comments. I'm well aware this isn't going to be an easy process for me. But I'm determined to complete the Voisin project. Again Thank You my friends.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 03:24:54 AM »
Words can't convey how happy I am to see you back at the bench, my old friend.  And what a cool project!  I'm really looking forward to following this thread.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 03:44:49 AM »
  Bud,
Thanks my old friend . I surely appreciate your comments. I've always been interested in the Voisin but until recently had not a clue as to what type she was. Another case for collecting reference books and materials for years.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:00:38 AM »
Welcome back to the production Line Greg, you sure are taking a less then "gentle" bite at the challenges! I'll be following this one closely, and I'm sure it will be a capital "W" winner!
Cheers, and ENJOY!
Lance

Offline xmald

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
Gregory it's definitely an extremely interesting build. as much I love seaplanes and hydroplanes the bizarre design of this plane makes it like a love from the first sight. keep the updates coming as frequently as you can!
Best regards
Filip

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
Gregory,

I'm a fan of seaplanes and anything unusual so I'm looking forward to seeing more of this. Great start.

Tom