Author Topic: 1911 Voisin Hydroplane  (Read 7022 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

Re: 1911 Voisin Hydroplane
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 03:03:11 AM »
Really good to hear that you're back in the saddle again Gregory and not just building a kit but jumping right back into the fray with a scratchbuild project. I always like following your threads as the visuals are always so informative.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 07:31:24 AM »
Wow, what a start! And what an exciting subject. I am truly looking forward to see it unveil, Gregory.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 03:30:03 AM »
Gregory,

I had a thirty year plus break from modelling and know a little about what it feels like to return after a long break. You have certainly taken on a challenge but the quality of your work belies the fact that you have been away for so long. The subject is also very interesting, which makes this project all the more intriguing. Excellent start and I wish you every success and much enjoyment over the next few months: then the bug will have bitten again!

Offline Old Man

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 06:01:45 AM »
Excellent project, Sir!

I will be keeping a close eye on this.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 02:00:38 AM »
  Many thanks to all who've replied. I should have enough progress to report on soon so an update hopefully will be ready in a week or two. The project is progressing faster than I had thought, but then again the fuselage frame is the easiest part of the project. The wings and canards will be the most difficult sections to fabricate. At least for me that is. The original plan was to build up the wing and canard structures in the same manner as a stick and tissue kit then cover all of the work in tissue. I wanted to try to stay as close to the construction of an actual Voisin as possible. However I'm concerned about the plastic structure warping. So my plans may alter and build up the wings and canards from solid plastic similar to Des' technique . This will certainly be easier for me and allow me to build a much thinner airfoil section without the worry of warping and breaking the structures while sanding .

Again thank you all for your comments. I'll do my level best not disappoint . Oh before I forget I'm having a blast with the little odd ball Voisin of mine.

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »
Looking forward to the progress pics. Glad youre enjoying the build!!

Steve

Offline mgunns

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 02:19:53 AM »
Hello Gregory:

Glad to see you back in the saddle and at the bench!  What an intersting airplane and what a challenge!  I was scoping out the plans and realized that the pilot is sitting in the back!  This will be fun to watch as it unfolds and to see how you progress.    Could this be the 1910 version of the Ekranoplan?  Well, it's odd looking anyway.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online rhallinger

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 02:24:32 AM »
Really good to hear that you're back in the saddle again Gregory and not just building a kit but jumping right back into the fray with a scratchbuild project. I always like following your threads as the visuals are always so informative.

Cheers,

Chris

+1.  ;D  Good to see you back at the bench Gregory, particularly with such a fascinating subject!  Bon Chance! ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »
What an interesting model you have chosen,
Gregory.  I'll be following your build with
great interest.  Thanks for sharing with us.

Best Regards,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Zabu

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 02:42:08 AM »
I love scrath buiding.

I can't stop being amazed with what you can pull out from some plastic sheets and rods.

I got to try it myself one day!

Cheers

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
Hey, buddy!   How's it going?  Any progress?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 03:43:38 AM »
   Bud,
Sorry to report that no new progress has been made my old friend. Other issues have taken my time for this project away for now.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »
 While posting photographs for the French G/B this evening I happened to notice a folder I hadn't looked at in a long long time. That folder contained my very stalled Voisin project. From the number of photographs including in this thread and those in the folder it was perfectly clear that  I hadn't updated this thread before being put out of action for the second time. So tonight I'm making my long over due update.

The Fuselage as she stands at present.

With the rear side panels and the beginnings of the tachometer,mag switch and the grease pump.

The barrel seat and mounting.

The beginnings of the Voisins fuel,oil tanks and their mounts. The white object is supposed to be the engine mount,but maybe not.

Flight controls along with the throttle and spark advance levers.

Half of her rough wing struts. These are the rear struts shown here.

This is where my Voisin project left off. Although I not working on this project currently I no long consider it a mostly dead project. Hopefully sometime this year I'll get back to this one. Thanks for taking the time to look.As always any and all comments are welcomed and much appreciated.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

" What Me Worry"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »
Fantastic to see the updated photos of this build Gregory, I have been waiting anxiously for you to get back onto this wonderful project and hopefully will see you finish it off this year, what you have accomplished so far is totally amazing.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 09:56:25 PM »
Dear Gregory,

this is looking absolutely great, I really like the fuselgae structure and the woodgrain. I really hope you come back and finish her at some point. Keep up the good work!

best regards,
Sasho
Think globally, act locally!