Author Topic: Temporary Glueing  (Read 924 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Temporary Glueing
« on: May 29, 2013, 01:11:27 AM »
Most of us will be used to dry-fitting components to check for tolerances, gaps, alignments etc.  With WNW kits tending to be very tight on tolerances, I had thought to try and dry assemble a whole cockpit frame, then spray primer paint so that any joining surfaces would be clear of paint.  Then disassemble and paint individual components leaving the joining surfaces free of paint.

However, holding the pieces together with masking tape will help check the fit but won't allow proper priming.

What would be the most effective way to temporarily glue components together, so that they can be disassembled without damage?  Is there any way of doing this successfully?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Temporary Glueing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:23:50 AM »
I use white glue all the time for this kind of thing. Peels right off, or you can wash it off. I also use insta-mold to make jiggy things to hold assemblies together. Another thing to try, similar to white glue, is liquid mask.

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:33:23 AM »
I suppose you could try some "tacky glue" (sparingly) as it is  easily removable and it does not dry hard.

I  also have some "Micro Krystal Klear" which is used to secure clear plastic parts and it's also very  easy to remove.
However there is a product made by the same company  called "Micro Liqitape" which is intended just for temporary gluing of model parts.
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FINPROD

Of course, with whatever you use,  just use as little as possible . ;) 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:22:07 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline Graham t

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 03:40:18 AM »
Yes the white glue/PVA/Kristal Clear is the way to go

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 03:56:48 AM »
Thanks for the tips - PVA sounds ideal and readily available.