Author Topic: Knitting in elastic  (Read 2697 times)

Offline dirk

Knitting in elastic
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Hi friends,

this week i have received WNW's RAF Flat Rigging thread together with a sample of EZ-line. While working on my FE2b a few months before I have used an elasthic thread from German brand called "Goldzack".

I have bought it in a local store in Germany for at around 2,50 Euros (3 Dollars). To my suprise, the Brand "Prym" is the international pendant to Goldzack and its elastic thread that WNW sells is the identical product. In my opinion, WNW has done an excellent job in choosing this brand but there is no need to order it from WNW when you know you can get in local stores. Here is a photo of WNW's Prym product.

In comparison you can see the unpacked "Gold-Zack" Product besides the Prym-thread. The products are made of 100% Elasthan.

Cheers, Dirk
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:37:06 PM by dirk »

Offline Hannover

Re: Knitting in elastic
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
I can get the Prym product here in the UK in a local store. Cost £2-25 for 200 metres. On eBay someone was charging £7-95 for the same thing.

P

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 02:48:25 AM »
How does this stuff compare to EZ line? My main worry would be how much it degrades and how quickly that happens.

Offline Alan Roffey

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »
Hallo PDH in Devon, UK!

What shop did you buy it in?  I tried several Habberdasheries in Bristol, but no luck.

Offline dirk

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »
How does this stuff compare to EZ line? My main worry would be how much it degrades and how quickly that happens.

Hi Rizzo,

I guess that due to its quality (100% Elasthan) it is quite expandable. Tests that I have done before rigging my fee show that it wont shrinkle, even when its overstretched 3-4 times of its original length. By the way, for rigging purpose its not necessary to expand the thread that much. 50% more to its original length will be enough.

Cheers, Dirk

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
I've used both EZ line and the knitting in type elastic from WNW.  EZ Line is very strong and the flatness of the profile changes to a more round profile when stretched.  If only it was available in a steel colour.  I find EZ Line does not always take paint well.

The elastic is quite good with similar properties, however the semi-translucent colour looks quite effective against dark aircraft, such as the later Fee night version, and takes paint reasonably well.

I have no idea about longevity as the oldest model I have with either thread is only 2 years old.  Either way, I have had no disintegration over time yet.

Offline gcn

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:42:12 PM »
It's flatter and wider than ez line therefore if you want to loop it through a brass sleeve it is more difficult, but not impossible.

It's a white shade and ez line predominantly is found in black. I use knit in elastic for RFC subjects and ez line for everything else.

For UK sources there are plenty of online stores selling it for £2.50 ish. Just have to pay delivery so it may be worth buying a couple of reels.

Purlpelindacrafts.co.uk have it for £1.99

Offline Hannover

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 01:36:23 AM »
Hallo PDH in Devon, UK!

What shop did you buy it in?  I tried several Habberdasheries in Bristol, but no luck.

Hi Alan, A shop called Coles in my home town of Ottery St Mary here in East Devon. If you want some and are happy to pay postage let me know and we'll organise it for you.

All the best

Peter

Offline Hannover

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »

As the others have said its pretty much the same as EZ Line. Knitting in elastic is designed for things like socks so will have to be washing machine tolerant. So I think its pretty safe to assume it will take quite a bit of punishment. However one thing that will probably kill it, and EZ line as well, is direct sunlight.

I've found the Prym elastic paints very well with Modelmaster metallic paints, the enamels not acrylics.

P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:43:10 AM by PDH »

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 01:48:49 AM »

As the others have said its pretty much the same as EZ Line. Knitting in elastic is designed for things like socks so will have to be washing machine tolerant. So I think its pretty safe to assume it will take quite a bit of punishment. However one thing that will probably kill it, and EZ line as well, is direct sunlight.

P

Yep, it was the effect of UV light that I was thinking about (eventually indirect sunlight will surely ruin it too?). I've read that EZ line should be quite resistant, although this didn't seem too reliable (the person stating this was trying to sell EZ line for one thing!)

If that's not true, then I would be happier to mix and match both materials depending on the use. As it is, I've stuck to EZ line based on the (possibly incorrect) belief that it will last longer.

I guess a coating of silver paint helps matters anyway!

Offline Hannover

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 01:56:00 AM »

P

Yep, it was the effect of UV light that I was thinking about (eventually indirect sunlight will surely ruin it too?). I've read that EZ line should be quite resistant, although this didn't seem too reliable (the person stating this was trying to sell EZ line for one thing!)

If that's not true, then I would be happier to mix and match both materials depending on the use. As it is, I've stuck to EZ line based on the (possibly incorrect) belief that it will last longer.

I guess a coating of silver paint helps matters anyway!

I can't believe EZ Line is anymore resist to direct sunlight than anything else unless there is some magic ingredient. My person opinion is that knitting in elastic MAY be the more tolerant because of what is expected to happen to it, washing machines and so on. Yes the paint would help but as in all things only time will tell!!

P

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 02:03:43 AM »
That makes a lot of sense to me. I'll give this stuff a go on the Pup I'm working on at the moment.
The texture EZ line has bothers me a bit anyway.

Offline Alan Roffey

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 09:18:11 PM »
Thanks for info Pete. I have enough for a while that I got from Wingnuts, but wanted to know where I could get it here so I could get it cheaper.

Thanks,

Alan

Offline Hannover

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »
Thanks for info Pete. I have enough for a while that I got from Wingnuts, but wanted to know where I could get it here so I could get it cheaper.

Thanks,

Alan

No problem Alan. Let me know when you want some.

Currently available on eBay for a little more than I can get it for. This is the stuff - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRYM-KNITTING-IN-ELASTIC-THREAD-FOR-SOCKS-CLEAR-200m-/390589955361?pt=UK_Crafts_Quilting_ET&hash=item5af0f9bd21

Postage is the expensive bit!!

P