Author Topic: AEG C-IV 48th Sierra Vac  (Read 6963 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: AEG C-IV 48th Sierra Vac
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »
Hi All,

She's rigged except for the aileron bell cranks and connections.  I used EZ line and simple stretched sprue glued to the ends of the lines and glued into pre-drilled holes as an experiment for turnbuckles.  The last time I made these in 1/48th with tiny loops and threading line through tiny tubes, they seemed too large to me.  Most of the pictures I see indicate the turnbuckles are just visible as slightly thicker ends to the rigging.  I love that built up effect in 1/32nd, but I don't have the practice yet to pull it off in 1/48th...yet  ;)

Anyway, she needs windshields, rear gun, a bit more weathering and maybe some odd details here and there but it's close.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 06:21:53 PM »
She's looking beautiful Dan, you have done a great job with the rigging, a few more steps and it's done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »
Thats a wild scheme!! Very much more WWII type of cammo.Looks cool.

Steve

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
Great work Dan!  :D. Your skills with vac kits are impressive. I, too, love that Middle East paint scheme. Can you tell us more about the aircraft, unit, operational service, etc. (in case I missed it earlier in this thread  :))? Thanks for sharing this great and unique model.

Regards,

Bob

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 12:44:11 AM »
. . . and to think, you bought this kit for only $5 and turned it into this beauty!   8)  Well done!

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 05:34:27 AM »
Thanks so much, Des, Steve and Bob...

It's a really nice kit.  Very delicate in execution and really looks nice next to a Bristol two seater.

Bob:  I didn't do much research into a particular aircraft but really liked the middle east scheme I saw on several shots in the Windsock Datafile on the AEG.  Colors are completely speculative but make sense to me since all those Me-109s and 110s had similar camo in the desert in WWII.  In the photos, there is definitely a light area with darker splotches and in a close up of a crashed example, there seems to be (brush applied) darker outlining around the...what I'm calling...spinach pattern.  That's why I did the overall sand/spinach and outlined in a darker brown.

So...it is all "Luft '17" but I like it anyway.

Thanks for the interest.

Dan

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 07:51:34 AM »
Thanks Dan. Your reasoning sounds good to me. It's a great paint scheme, very well applied.

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 07:57:01 AM »
A good interpretation of pics is all one can ask for on 95 year old sources!!

Steve

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 05:06:14 PM »
Should be done by tomorrow!  ::)

Prop, radiator pipes, exhausts, aileron bell cranks and gunner's machine gun all added.  The gun still needs a black wash and some dry brushing.  I used the kit gun since I wanted to try and use as many kit parts as possible.  It's a bit clunky and took 10 years to clean up but it looks good.  It will look better when done and I'll look around for a photoetch site if I can find one!

Thanks for looking...next time it will be in finished posts...I promise.

Dan

P.S.  Thanks, Steve...imagine if we actually knew what these things looked like in color!  Whoa, baby!!  ;D ;D

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »
That is soooo cool!   8)  I find the two-seaters to be very interesting, and there are so many of them not available in standard kit form.  Great job!

Regards,

Bob

Offline pepperman42

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 02:13:50 AM »
.....you know theres a colour interpreter computer program just around the corner probably....

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
   Dan,
She absolutely breath taking my old friend. As with all your projects you never disappoint. Truly Master Class skill and craftsmanship. Love that camouflage!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"