Author Topic: AEG C-IV 48th Sierra Vac  (Read 6964 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: AEG C-IV 48th Sierra Vac
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 02:29:35 AM »
Really glad to see you back on this one, Dan.  Great work, so far.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 03:58:34 AM »
All,

A bit more done on the inside.  I used an old seat and drilled holes in it.  I added some bits and bobs based on the photos I have including some radio equipment, a pump in the observer's area (?), some extra tubing in the back and a box on the right side that I think is the "bombay".  I added some rudder pedals and that's it for now.  Oh...I also got the engine fitted and stole a Spandau from an Eduard Pflatz.

I can't get used to how big this thing is since I'm fresh off lots of 1/72nd material.  I feel like I can put working instruments in this thing!  :o

The pilot's area needs some work but I don't know what style of joystick he would have used...I can't tell if it's a Halberstadt type, a Rumpler wheel or a spade grip like a Fokker.  I need to do some more research.

Anyway, this one is really cute and is coming together quite well.  A bit more and some seat belts and she is ready to paint and close up.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 04:17:13 AM »
Dan,
    Nice interior, should be a beauty once finished. I had to send a comment after reading your comment on working and getting more detail out of 1:48 Scale vs the "Braille Scale" as someone recently labelled it; this old "f..t" moved up to 1:32 for the same reason. Barring laser eye surgury maybe my moniker should be changed?!
Well done so far,
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 07:55:19 AM »
Beautiful work on the interior Dan, she is really starting to take shape now, well done so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »
Interior is shaping up nicely Dan - let us know what you find out about the pilot's stick.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »
Everyone...

I got a bit done on the interior by painting things and adding belts.  Now, all I need to do is close her up and then start working on the cabane and landing gear struts for test fitting.  Should go well.  It's a really nice little kit.

I decided to hedge my bets and make a sort of spade grip for the pilot.  I really couldn't see any good shots of the pilot's controls but I don't think there was a Rumpler wheel.  The only data I have for a circular grip was from the sprue shot of a resin kit of a related AEG so my research is not what you'd call iron clad. 

However, it looks pretty nice to me.

Offline IanB

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
The G.IV had a round "steering wheel" type. Not sure if this was standard AEG, or just because it was a bigger machine....

Ian

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
Hello All,

I got more done on the old girl.  I'm really liking it and the kit is fitting just great.  I tacked on the tails, added a skid, rudder control horns and obviously closed her up.  I used a simple jig to align the wings and cemented in the cabanes...they are not attached to the top wing yet.  I also added the start of the radiator and landing gear/wheels.  You can also see the gas tank filler cap out of the left fuselage side.  The hard part is done...now I can fill some seams, add anchors for my eventual turnbuckles, paint and start assembling.  ;D

A great kit and if you have been afraid of vacs, you really can't go wrong with one of these old Sierra Scales.  I want them ALL!!!  :o

Thanks for looking and more soon...Dan

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 12:46:06 AM »
Where are all those darn vacs???  ;)

Here is my attempt to make the start of Middle Eastern Camo.  I have more to add like some brown edges and lots of weathering but it's a start.

Thanks for looking and more soon...Dan :)

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
All you Vac Form Nuts... ;D

Even more done.  I got some brown sprayed around the spinach green blotches.  Looks more like a WWII German tank but I think I like it.  It will look pretty cool once weathered...and it's darn unique!  ::)

I also started painting on the markings.  They are coming along well but sloooooowwwwwly.

Thanks for looking and keep sanding...Dan

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 05:18:31 AM »
  Dan,
I've got to say, That's some very impressive and well done camouflage my old friend. I hope you'll continue with the Middle Eastern camouflage schemes theme in future projects. As always first class work.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 08:56:38 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me what you guys can do with just a few hunks of plastic masquerading as a model kit. Tremendous work here and your painted markings are simply top drawer!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 09:39:52 AM »
Well done Dan, you have achieved an excellent result with the camo, this is a really nice looking model.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
Hi everyone.  It's been a while but lots of work (real work  :'() and models too!

Here is a bit more on the ol' AEG.  I crushed some 1/16th aluminum tubing just a bit in a vice and used this as strut material.  An experiment but I think it looks fine in this scale.

I'll paint them light blue and start rigging soon!  Can't wait.  This thing hardly looks like a vac anymore.  I want to take a shot of it next to my Bristol to compare sizes and shapes.  It's a pretty cool plane!

Thanks for looking.

Dan  ;D

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 02:45:29 PM »
Looking great Dan and I like your enthusiasm ;D

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice