Author Topic: 'Black Prince' - WnW Sopwith Triplane in William Melville Alexander's Markings  (Read 4676 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

William Melville Alexander, a Canadian flying in the Black Flight, 10 Naval Squadron, RNAS, flew Sopwith Triplane 'Black Prince' N5487 in June and July 1917. Alexander scored ten victories while flying a triplane, and eight of those were when flying 'Black Prince'. Alexander survived the war with twenty-three victories and died in 1988.
The following is my impression of how she may have looked.

For those interested in the build log, you can access it at: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1718.135

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Rizzo

That looks awesome, I love the weathering effects on it.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
She's absolutely gorgeous, Chris!  Congratulations.  This just may be your best build to date.  You can really be proud of this one, buddy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline petrov27

Brilliant build - really fantastic!
-Patrick

Offline dirk

Hi Chris,

absolutely brilliant work on Alexander's Triplane. Especially the weathering around the wing rips and your fading technique between black and brown brings this plane to life. I am deeply impressed.

Greetings, Dirk

Offline Epeeman

Superb!

Great workmanship, Chris.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Super job Chris :)  And done in great time too...

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Excellent work Chris! That is an outstanding model and deserves all the accolades it is getting. Of course now in the back of your mind a little voice is saying " Build every aircraft of Black Flight"... :)

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Vickers

I really enjoyed watching your build log and the end result is simply stunning- a fitting tribute to Alexander. Congratulations on an excellent build!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline mgunns

Hello Chris:

Wonderful job, I especially like the "Hairspray affect" on the cowling area.  Looks the business alright.  The rest of the model is quite impressive as well.  Leave it to Dave W. to plant that seed, that still small voice that beckons:  "Build 'em all Chris, build 'em all!!!" 8) 
Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Absolutely beautiful, Chris. I like all the details of this model.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Congratulations Chris on presenting us with another one of your stunning builds, they just keep getting better and better. You have done a superb job with the Tripe, the colours and weathering are excellent and your rigging is spot on, well done mate.  :) :) :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Congratulations on a superb build, the precise rigging and the weathering effects are standouts.

What's next?

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
So many techniques used to such great effect. Beautiful build, Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Lindsay

Offline TomR1981

Nice job Chris, that cowling looks great.

Tom.